According to this Billboard article, a hologram of Ronnie James Dio was introduced last night at the famous Wacken metal festival in Germany. Interesting, but the article says there are plans to take it on tour with the members of Dio's last band ??!!

Thoughts?? Would anyone here go see this, or go see a touring hologram of another artist that you loved that is no longer around?

http://www.billboard...y-festival-2016

http://www.rollingst...estival-w433089

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/ronnie-james-dio-hologram-wacken-2016-billboard-1548_0.jpg

• Like 1

As the biggest Dio fanboy here (at least I think I am :cool: ) I have zero interest in seeing this.

As a special one off in some sort of tribute is OK. But touring with this is just an awful idea for any rock star who's no longer with us.

• Like 7

As the biggest Dio fanboy here (at least I think I am :cool: ) I have zero interest in seeing this.

As a special one off in some sort of tribute is OK. But touring with this is just an awful idea for any rock star who's no longer with us.

I know, isn't it pretty creepy? I saw the article because a friend had put it on their Facebook page. As you can imagine, lots of unhappy Dio fans were saying unkind things about Wendy Dio (I guess that was his wife?) giving her permission for the tour thing to happen.

• Like 1

You may think that way, but I fully support this 100%. It's not an awful idea at all.

I never saw dio before he died, if a hologram is the only way to have a somewhat authentic experience, then I'm all for it and naysayers can just do whatever they want.

Edited by fraroc

Lol when a hologram is an authentic experience. Smfh

Well it's based on an actual image of dio...I mean, it's one thing if it was a cheap shitty CGI thing that didn't even look like him, but holograms are usually constructed using actual footage of the person.

Edited by fraroc

Well it's based on an actual image of dio...I mean, it's one thing if it was a cheap shitty CGI thing that didn't even look like him, but holograms are usually constructed using actual footage of the person.

It doesn't matter if it's constructed from a real image of him. The point is that it's not actually him and it's foolish to think this somehow recreates the experience of seeing him or anyone else they do this for live. It's a terrible idea and I think a tour of this will bomb hard.

That's too bad you never got to see Dio live, he was a hell of a performer. I never got to see Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd live, i'm sure they were great. What can you do though? Sometimes seeing some bands isn't meant to be. But using a hologram of a dead performer is not the way to see them live. It's an illusion and as inauthentic of a performance as you can get.

• Like 2

It doesn't matter if it's constructed from a real image of him. The point is that it's not actually him and it's foolish to think this somehow recreates the experience of seeing him or anyone else they do this for live. It's a terrible idea and I think a tour of this will bomb hard.

That's too bad you never got to see Dio live, he was a hell of a performer. I never got to see Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd live, i'm sure they were great. What can you do though? Sometimes seeing some bands isn't meant to be. But using a hologram of a dead performer is not the way to see them live. It's an illusion and as inauthentic of a performance as you can get.

Yeah well, you take what you can get sometimes.

Yeah well, you take what you can get sometimes.

You shouldn't eat cake made from cardboard just because you can't get the real thing.

• Like 2

I hope it does become a trend, not only because it gives people a taste of what seeing artists in their prime was like, but because of the amazing technology that's being used. Just a mere 10-15 years ago, holograms like this were pretty much unheard of. Edited by fraroc