Why does everyone hate Phil Collins so much?

fraroc

Looking past his misogynistic and anti-semitic lyrics, the music is great. I just have to remember to seperate the politics from the music.

Agreed! His first venture on his own was REALLY damn good. Solo Collins is in my rotation at all times.

Looking past his misogynistic and anti-semitic lyrics, the music is great. I just have to remember to seperate the politics from the music.

Agreed! His first venture on his own was REALLY damn good. Solo Collins is in my rotation at all times.

:cheers:
  • Like 1

It seems that out of all the 70s musicians that changed their sound in the 80s, Phil always got the most shit from critics and fans alike? Why is that? I don't think his music is THAT bad.

Simply, he sold out going from serious rock musician to pop music clown. The only difference between Phil and Rick Astley is that Phil can also play the drums.

That's such a cliche assessment of Phil. His "

Pop music clown" hits are well executed songs that many people enjoyed. Much of the Genesis material is the very definition of pretensious prog Rock. Comparing him to Rick Astley is ridiculous.

• Like 3

The term sold out is so played out at this point.

phil made music he WANTED to make once solo. he was never to fond of prog. he's said that.

do i enjoy most of his solo stuff......frankly no. but i don't Hate him for it.

his choice.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Almost all people have a hard time with change.

Genesis was genius. Phil reinvented his own genius in a whole new genre in the 80s. You can bet that mofo made some serious bank.

One goes where one is called.

• Like 4

His songs for the Tarzan soundtrack are amongst my most treasured songs ever. One of my favourite soundtracks.

Totally like this guy.

Give me time, I could love him!

• Like 2

His songs for the Tarzan soundtrack are amongst my most treasured songs ever. One of my favourite soundtracks.

Totally like this guy.

Funny you mention that. My mates and I joke about how amazing the soundtrack is and that only Phil could pull that off. Edited by goose
  • Like 2

I actually find him rather irritating nowadays as a person!

However as a musician and drummer they're isn't many that come close to him!

His first three solo records were good,the rest just pretty average.His Motown record " Going Back" was appalling!

Looking forward to reading his autobiography next month though!

• Like 1

Totally like this guy.

Funny you mention that. My mates and I joke about how amazing the soundtrack is and that only Phil could pull that off.

I can't tell if you like it or not haha

• Like 1

He certainly did make bank. He's one of only three artists in the world to sell 100 million records (pretty sure that's the number) as both a solo artist and as a member of a musical group. Anyone know the other two?
  • Like 2

His first three solo records were good,the rest just pretty average.His Motown record " Going Back" was appalling!

he is pretty cynical nowadays, lol. no thanks to "sell out" meathead butthurt Genesis fans. and poor guy lost the ability to play drums.

Mick

• Like 2

He certainly did make bank. He's one of only three artists in the world to sell 100 million records (pretty sure that's the number) as both a solo artist and as a member of a musical group. Anyone know the other two?

Michael Jackson and Don Henley?

• Like 1

he is pretty cynical nowadays, lol. no thanks to "sell out" meathead butthurt Genesis fans. and poor guy lost the ability to play drums.

Mick

But he's come out of retirement now! :D Now if Gabriel and Hackett could just get back on board for a tour with the originals before anyone...well, you know. Think of it, one set Gabriel material, one set Collins material, maybe stick Carpet Crawlers or I Know What I Like in the middle as duets, and maybe even toss in some of every artists solo material...might be a long stretch for Banks though.

• Like 2

MJ yes, Don Henely good guess.

• Like 1

Why are you guys insinuating that there is something wrong with 80s pop music to begin with?

Not everybody here listens to exclusively prog.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Why are you guys insinuating that there is something wrong with 80s pop music to begin with?

It's cliche, and much of it is generic on top of that, however it's not necessarily bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Sir Paul?
  • Like 2

It's just the Genesis purists that get up in arms about Phil. I think generally he's very much liked by the general populace.
  • Like 3

It's cliche, and much of it is generic on top of that, however it's not necessarily bad by any stretch of the imagination.

And yet you guys still shit all over it.

Sir Paul?

Bingo.

Mick

But he's come out of retirement now! :D Now if Gabriel and Hackett could just get back on board for a tour with the originals before anyone...well, you know. Think of it, one set Gabriel material, one set Collins material, maybe stick Carpet Crawlers or I Know What I Like in the middle as duets, and maybe even toss in some of every artists solo material...might be a long stretch for Banks though.

i'd love that.

but Gabriel i feel in no way wants to. he keeps saying never say never but it never happens.

Wish it would the guy is so stagnant. it'll get him off his ass, lol

Mick

• Like 1

And yet you guys still shit all over it.

What do you mean you guys, I don't have an issue with it.