Why does everyone hate Phil Collins so much?

fraroc

It seems that out of all the 70s musicians that changed their sound in the 80s, Phil always got the most shit from critics and fans alike? Why is that? I don't think his music is THAT bad.

• Like 2

It seems that out of all the 70s musicians that changed their sound in the 80s, Phil always got the most shit from critics and fans alike? Why is that? I don't think his music is THAT bad.

I still have a copy of Face Value, but most of his output is "pop". It's a tough pill for the music community to swallow when you branch off from a respected and successful band such as Genesis [seemingly riding your fame from having been involved in that band] and release (mostly) radio friendly schlock. Look at what Peter Gabriel, Sting, Roger Waters, or David Gilmour have done as solo artists compared to Collins. Night/day.

Here's a decent list to compare:

https://www.buzzfeed...9en9#.nfGRE16d1

Edited by stoopid

Phil Collins is loved.

The worst I've seen some here say is they don't like his Genesis and prefer the prog to pop era. Big deal and big surprise, this is essentially a prog rock subforum.

I know this is complicated stuff.

...But Seriously

• Like 3

(MOD EDIT: YouTube video removed

While any clip from "American Psycho" is awesome, and while Bateman's Phil Collins analysis is fitting for this thread, the rest of the scene with the two girls getting undressed and the other sexual references make that clip inappropriate for this forum...

...which of course you f**king KNOW, Mr. Not. How many years have you been here? Please stop posting content that you know doesn't belong here just to see if you can get away with it.)

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 4

The worst I've seen some here say is they don't like his Genesis and prefer the prog to pop era. Big deal and big surprise, this is essentially a prog rock subforum.

I'd say the same thing - people don't like him because they don't like the direction his music took when he split from Genesis.

I'd say the same thing - people don't like him because they don't like the direction his music took when he split from Genesis.

but he was going that direction while in Genesis.

he left that outfit in 96.

just being picky, lol

don't mind me.

Mick

His Mowtown phase did not endear him to his previous fanbase,

and performing them live,just made it worse.

He should have faced prosecution for his dancing in the video

Dance Into The Night. He's like a badly operated puppet

Other than that, he's a great guy.

Edited by foghorn-leghorn
  • Like 1

Actually a good question. His pop material isn't bad, it's just pop. He's not really detested on this forum too much, but I agree he seems rather disliked by the greater "classic rock" or "prog rock" community, if you''pre into those labels. "In The Air Tonight" is genius for starters, and the man has a wonderful voice, though it can get old.
  • Like 3

Actually a good question. His pop material isn't bad, it's just pop. He's not really detested on this forum too much, but I agree he seems rather disliked by the greater "classic rock" or "prog rock" community, if you''pre into those labels. "In The Air Tonight" is genius for starters, and the man has a wonderful voice, though it can get old.

Fun fact. In the Air Tonight was presented to Genesis and turned down, lol.

Mick

• Like 2

Looking past his misogynistic and anti-semitic lyrics, the music is great. I just have to remember to seperate the politics from the music.
  • Like 4

Simply, he sold out going from serious rock musician to pop music clown. The only difference between Phil and Rick Astley is that Phil can also play the drums.

I had a friend in the late 70's who was a huge Genesis fan who always tried to bore me with their albums but i didn't get it.And Then There Were Three came out and i loved it.It was utter crap to him and he disowned the band.Phil Collins has destroyed the band,he'd say.The only thing he liked of Phil's was in the air tonight.And then he went Motown.He even blamed him for blanding out Eric Clapton's career(which he did).The last I ever saw of my friend was when my then girlfriend put on Can't Hurry Love,he stormed out, never to be seen again.I have never seen such hatred for an artist,other than a bloke who took an axe to a turntable with Bat Out of Hell playing.I am now early Genesis convert.I don't hate old Phil,he's an excellent ,unique drummer.But just don't play One More Night,One More Night,One More zzzzzzzzz.
  • Like 1

I had a friend in the late 70's who was a huge Genesis fan who always tried to bore me with their albums but i didn't get it.And Then There Were Three came out and i loved it.It was utter crap to him and he disowned the band.Phil Collins has destroyed the band,he'd say.The only thing he liked of Phil's was in the air tonight.And then he went Motown.He even blamed him for blanding out Eric Clapton's career(which he did).The last I ever saw of my friend was when my then girlfriend put on Can't Hurry Love,he stormed out, never to be seen again.I have never seen such hatred for an artist,other than a bloke who took an axe to a turntable with Bat Out of Hell playing.I am now early Genesis convert.I don't hate old Phil,he's an excellent ,unique drummer.But just don't play One More Night,One More Night,One More zzzzzzzzz.

From no pulse......i mean no JACKET required

lol.

Mick