The Professor

• Members *
  • 3908 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Let the great debate begin!  But first, let's all agree that Windows Mobile sucks.

Now, then.  iOS is the best mobile operating system out there because of its accessibility.  It's easy to pick up an iPhone and go.  Also, because Apple controls both its hardware and software, iOS is specifically optimized to work flawlessly on iPhones, iPods, and iPads.  The "one size fits all" ecosystem of Android is clunky and frustrating.

And when it comes to software updates, iOS updates release simultaneously on all supported devices, so you can have the latest software version as soon as it comes out.  With Android, if you don't have a Nexus phone, you're SOL.  Each hardware manufacturer has to tweak the OS to fit its specific device, and then they go and put their own skins on it, using up precious storage space and bogging the phone down.  Case in point: Samsung.  You just don't have that headache with iPhones.

And finally, iDevices have iTunes.  And practically everyone has something on iTunes.  Got an Android device?  Too bad, no iTunes for you!  That is, unless you want to go through the headache of .mp3 conversion.  :facepalm:

So, yeah.  iOS all the way for me.  What about you?

Sponsored Post

#2 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:08 PM

As far as computers go I am 100% a Mac person.  But for some reason I do not like iOS.  I have an iPad but wish I had gotten an Android tablet instead.  And my phone is an Android (Nexus).  I love Android, and wouldn't change to an iPhone for any reason.

I don't listen to music on my phone.  That's what an iPod is for.  But if I did it would be no problem as all of my music is in MP3 format; if I download something in another format i immediately (easily) convert it to MP3 so I have complete control over the file.

#3 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18670 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

People still "debate" about this stuff?

#4 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3732 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

Apple stuff - People paying an exorbitant price for a computer that is now more like Windows than different just so they can look hip while they sit in Starbucks typing out their next screenplay or PhD thesis.  Phones that are not user serviceable and proprietary so you have to take them back to the store. Sheeple who literally camp out to get the latest version of those phones, and all from a company that, at times is as profitable as Exon/Mobil and won't even discount their products in the BX/PX stores where military folks shop. How counterculture is that?

I literally wouldn't use an Apple product if it was given to me and I hope Steve Jobs is sucking Satan's bifurcated cock.

#5 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5835 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

We have always been 100% Mac also, that was always the platform that could run my daughter's graphic arts stuff.  I have a little iPod shuffle that I got as a gift and it holds enough songs for me. I like it when I garden.  I'm Android on my phone though!

I have written before, I think,  I had my same old Nokia phone :laughing guy: :laughing guy:  for like 13 years but my company quit supporting it this spring.  My adult kids have iPhones but I wasn't going to spend the money. I found a refurbished older model Samsung Galaxy online (for under 32.00)  and I wasn't sure I would like Android but it turns out I love it!  The camera is really nice; sound quality good, it let me put a Rush ring tone on it!  :D  :D  As a first smart phone it's great and very sturdy as well. I just load music on from iTunes through the USB cord and there's no problem there, so I'm not sure what the Android fear is that people have.  I don't run a lot of apps or play games though . . . .

#6 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21763 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

I like my iPhone but with computers I stick with Windows. Years ago Macs used to be the be-all for graphics and that's what I learned on in school. But now they can do 99.9% of what any Mac can do and they're cheaper to buy.

#7 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 79230 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

I've never had an iPhone, only Android devices.

:)

#8 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

I use mac and ipad, but on iphone, Apple have lost me. I use a android samsung phone.

#9 prolix

prolix

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1194 posts
  • Interests:PC Gaming, RUSH, TRF, Golf, History, Geography

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

I have had both an iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy. I prefer Android by a mile.

I have never used a Mac computer and always have had PC's.

#10 djflex

djflex

The Professor

• Members
  • 3830 posts
  • Interests:Doing the tasks the voices in my head tell me to do

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

I feel kinda locked in to apple and not sure im thrilled about it. I do line ios system though

#11 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:40 AM

iPhone free since 1968

#12 Gompers

Gompers

10,000 posts, and I got nothin'

• Members *
  • 17108 posts
  • Interests:Jaywalking. Not smoking meth. Selling my air guitars on eBay. Cooking Chinese and Italians. Giving blood so I can get drunk faster. Being a stickler for detale.

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

Loving the Android. Currently have a Samsung Note 5 phone and Note 4 tablet.

#13 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 79230 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

View PostGompers, on 05 August 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

Loving the Android. Currently have a Samsung Note 5 phone and Note 4 tablet.
Mine's the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

Edited by Babycat, 05 August 2016 - 08:57 AM.

#14 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24833 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

I've used a Mac for personal work since 1994 (with a 3 year change in Law School as tests had to be taken on a PC) and I've never had any issue with my computers.  In my 3 years of law school, my PCs crapped out 6 times.  At work I regularly deal with PC problems.  When my company, which has hundreds of thousands of employees and has traditionally been associated with PCs, changed policy to allow people to use Macs, the rejoicing was loud and sustained.  I just can't wait until March 2017 so I can trade in my PC and get to a Mac for work.

For phones, I find iOS to be far better than android for what I want.  I can understand why people who want to customize their phones and who don't mind dealing with all the crap associated with that want to use it, but I like the ecosystem.  I would try a switch from iPhone to something else if I were able to take all my games and apps with me, just to really test it out.  But alas, I cannot, so I will not.

#15 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's It™ Sig

• Members
  • 15992 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

Has the quality of android devices improved any in the last 5 years?  I was always android but got tired of the phones locking up all the time.  The batteries also went bad very fast.  I switched to iPhone and the quality has been far superior.  I need to switch phones in the near future and have been considering my options.  I have a 5s now but need a larger screen.  Nowadays, when you say android I guess we're saying Samsung so give me your opinions on quality.

#16 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3732 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

Since I got my first "smart" phone, it's been nothing but Android and I've never had one lock up on me except once when I tried to download an update via computer instead of over the air. One of them, a Samsung Galaxy S3 spent the night on the lawn in the rain and after drying out, fired right up and worked as advertised.

#17 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's It™ Sig

• Members
  • 15992 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 28 August 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

Since I got my first "smart" phone, it's been nothing but Android and I've never had one lock up on me except once when I tried to download an update via computer instead of over the air. One of them, a Samsung Galaxy S3 spent the night on the lawn in the rain and after drying out, fired right up and worked as advertised.
Interesting.  I've never owned an android that I didn't have to regularly take the back off and remove the battery to get unlocked.

#18 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

The only reason I have an iPhone is because I got an iPod very soon after they came out. To me, an iPhone was just the newer generation of iPod.

#19 Cygnus 2112

Cygnus 2112

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4651 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:59 PM

I've owned Blackberrys since 2010, and on Wednesday finally moved on to a Nexus 6P.  This is a big strange world, and I'm not sure if I like it.  There is almost too much to do.

#20 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 34019 posts
  • Interests:The Cure and 80's music

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:11 AM

I just got a Samsung phone. I love it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users