Moving Pictures vs A Night at the Opera

AnEggplant

35 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, which do you prefer?

• Moving Pictures
    • A Night at the Opera

Two prog/prog-related greats when it comes to albums from two legendary bands. Which do you prefer?

BONUS - Song vs Song (Adjusting for the fact that Queen's offering has nearly twice as many tracks):

Tom Sawyer vs Death on Two Legs vs Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon

Red Barchetta vs I'm in Love with My Car vs You're My Best Friend

YYZ vs '39 vs Sweet Lady

Limelight vs Seaside Rendezvous vs Love of My Life (The order is shifted so the epics align)

The Camera Eye vs The Prophet's Song vs Bohemian Rhapsody

Witch Hunt vs Good Company

Vital Signs vs God Save the Queen

Edited by AnEggplant

For me, I go with Queen. Moving Pictures, while I do love it, is not among my favorite Rush albums.

Death on Two Legs

Red Barchetta

'39

Limelight

The Prophet's Song

Good Company

Vital Signs

• Like 2

Moving pictures by forever

I dont even really like queen...

( no hater, just not my bag)

This.
  • Like 2

Moving Pictures is full of very good songs, but A Night At The Opera is classic ..

There is no song on Moving Pictures that, when I listen to it, think "This is up there as the greatest song of all time" - that happens often with Freddie and the Queen stuff, esp Bohemian Rhapsody and The Prophet's Song, and even Love Of My Life

Death On Two Legs is killer too ;)

• Like 3

Moving Pictures has always meant the world to me. It's focused. It's a linear experience with a band bringing out the best in each other.

Night at the Opera has always impressed me. Four talented songwriters with individual visions bringing out the best in each other.

Night at the Opera is all over the map. An aural collection of short stories.

Moving Pictures is focused. An aural novel.

I prefer novels.

• Like 6

Moving Pictures has always meant the world to me. It's focused. It's a linear experience with a band bringing out the best in each other.

Night at the Opera has always impressed me. Four talented songwriters with individual visions bringing out the best in each other.

Night at the Opera is all over the map. An aural collection of short stories.

Moving Pictures is focused. An aural novel.

I prefer novels.

That a great way of putting it . .

Moving Pictures is definitely more cohesive

But the unique and creative flow happening on Night At The Opera is something very appealing for me ..

The fact that The Prophet's Song and Bohemian Rhapsody are on the same album is mind boggling .

Both albums are classics, no doubt

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

You asked the wrong Rush fan. Let's see...my favorite album by my favorite band with my favorite singer who wrote my favorite song plus three of my other favorite instrumentalists of all time ever forever...vs. my 2.5 fav Rush album which failed to impress me the first time I listened to it....

You guess what I picked. :P

• Like 4

Also:

Death On Two Legs

You're My Best Friend

YYZ

Love Of My Life

Bohemian Rhapsody

Good Company

Vital Signs

(Vital Signs vs. God Save The Queen? That's not even close to a fair fight)

Moving Pictures is a better record to me. I love Bohemian Rhapsody and You're My Best Friend, but A Night at the Opera has some duller moments (most notably '39 and Good Company). Moving Pictures keeps me interested the whole time.
  • Like 2

For me, it'll have to be:

1. Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon

2.You're My Best Friend

3. Very close between YYZ and Sweet Lady, but I'd barely go with Sweet Lady

4. Love of my Life

5. The Prophet's Song

6. Very close between Witch Hunt and Bohemian Rhapsody, but BoRhap takes the cake

7. God Save The Queen

Moving Pictures isn't really my favorite Rush album, plus I've been a Queen fan much longer. Bohemian Rhapsody is among my favorite songs of all time, and the album it comes from is among my favorite albums, if not my favorite. A Farewell to Kings is right below it. I may have triggered some of you, but if that's the way it's gonna be, so be it.

• Like 1

You asked the wrong Rush fan. Let's see...my favorite album by my favorite band with my favorite singer who wrote my favorite song plus three of my other favorite instrumentalists of all time ever forever...vs. my 2.5 fav Rush album which failed to impress me the first time I listened to it....

You guess what I picked. :P

No, tell me already! I've been waiting nearly a year for the answer!

• Like 1

I cant pick... its impossible. This is a fight against my two top favorite bands. Its like asking which son I like best.

So which son do you like best?

(I'm going to assume Alex LifeSON :P)

What do you say, Lita Ford?

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/96dbFreak/LF1.jpg

"I choose..."

Don't like Queen at all, so....

How can you NOT like Queen?

I understand not liking Queen- I really don't hate them or dislike them, even. They're just not a band I ever choose to listen to.

I find them boring, nothing about their music excites me...reminds me of Dire Straits in that way!

I find them boring, nothing about their music excites me...reminds me of Dire Straits in that way!

interesting...I totally understand not liking Queen, but finding them boring or unexciting... I must ask you how you find them to be this way.

I don't like Queen either but they are far from boring. Very adventurous band musically. Not sure how you can hear a song like Bohemian Rhapsody and think they're boring.

Annoying is how I've always described them. Freddy was a fantastic singer but something about the overall sound always bothered me.