3's of You

JohnnyBlaze

-Playing the bad guy at work can actually be the necessary action of a good guy

This intrigues me...

My friend and I run a small publishing company. Mostly we publish smaller works that would get passed over by bigger publishers, but are still good. Short fiction, poetry collections, chapbooks, etc.

I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe that fiction like this is quality stuff, and yet underrepresented. Or just... crazy collections that are pushing the envelope of creativity and need a home, someone to say "hey, we published this because it's good!"

But in that market, you get a lot of young or inexperienced authors who have a lot of grand ideas, and grand visions.

Without going into too many details... I have to tell a lot of exuberant, enthusiastic authors that it isn't realistic to submit a 30 page book of poetry that only sells 50 copies to expensive literary award competitions, or that paying for shipping copies to be reviewed by places like Rolling Stone isn't going to work.

I feel like I'm playing the good guy by not wasting their money and time, and bringing them down to Earth and giving them alternate strategies towards success in the field. strategies like: use sensible marketing, social media, word of mouth, etc. rather than buying ads or paying to be considered for review. Or just having to explain that certain production ideas would make it impossible for the project to turn a profit.

But all of those things really mean I'm saying no. No, don't pay to submit your work to everyone. No, it's not realistic that you'd win an award with this small book. No, we can't make your book where the pages are made from very expensive materials. No no no. And it makes me feel like a bad guy.

And I have to remind myself that what I'm actually doing it trying my hardest to make their projects profitable for them (and us, incidentally).

So, you're a professional dream-crusher then?

:LOL:

This intrigues me...

My friend and I run a small publishing company. Mostly we publish smaller works that would get passed over by bigger publishers, but are still good. Short fiction, poetry collections, chapbooks, etc.

I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe that fiction like this is quality stuff, and yet underrepresented. Or just... crazy collections that are pushing the envelope of creativity and need a home, someone to say "hey, we published this because it's good!"

But in that market, you get a lot of young or inexperienced authors who have a lot of grand ideas, and grand visions.

Without going into too many details... I have to tell a lot of exuberant, enthusiastic authors that it isn't realistic to submit a 30 page book of poetry that only sells 50 copies to expensive literary award competitions, or that paying for shipping copies to be reviewed by places like Rolling Stone isn't going to work.

I feel like I'm playing the good guy by not wasting their money and time, and bringing them down to Earth and giving them alternate strategies towards success in the field. strategies like: use sensible marketing, social media, word of mouth, etc. rather than buying ads or paying to be considered for review. Or just having to explain that certain production ideas would make it impossible for the project to turn a profit.

But all of those things really mean I'm saying no. No, don't pay to submit your work to everyone. No, it's not realistic that you'd win an award with this small book. No, we can't make your book where the pages are made from very expensive materials. No no no. And it makes me feel like a bad guy.

And I have to remind myself that what I'm actually doing it trying my hardest to make their projects profitable for them (and us, incidentally).

It's more like I'm the editor of the dream.

"Ah yes, we can publish your small poetry collection. That sounds great! But your request to deliver it to the New York Super Times, the one 'more superer' than the regular New York Times, and on unicorn-back no less, is slightly unrealistic."

This intrigues me...

"Ah yes, we can publish your small poetry collection. That sounds great! But your request to deliver it to the New York Super Times, the one 'more superer' than the regular New York Times, and on unicorn-back no less, is slightly unrealistic."

This intrigues me...

I've come to loathe the expression, "Follow your dream." Dreams are for people who are ASLEEP.

These young writers should have a PLAN......not a dream. Anyone who wants to be a success in this world should be rational, realistic, and hard-working. Stick to the plan. Leave the dreams for bed time. :ebert:

• Like 2

This intrigues me...

I've come to loathe the exp<b></b>ression, "Follow your dream." Dreams are for people who are ASLEEP.

These young writers should have a PLAN......not a dream. Anyone who wants to be a success in this world should be rational, realistic, and hard-working. Stick to the plan. Leave the dreams for bed time. :ebert:

You're stuck too much in the WORD "dream" itself and not thinking about what it means to some. Walt Disney had a dream to create Disney World. Yeah, he had a plan. But the dream came first.

This ain't planet Vulcan with all of its rationality and logic.

A world without dreams is a world that'd suck. Straight up. :blaze:

• Like 2

This intrigues me...

I've come to loathe the expression, "Follow your dream." Dreams are for people who are ASLEEP.

Well, to be fair, when we're talking about people writing creative fiction... I'd love them to have a lot of creativity and passion. That's kind of my job in a way, to show them how to take that dream/vision of writing and make something out of it.

Dreams transport desires, drive you when you're down.

• Like 3

I've come to loathe the exp<b></b>ression, "Follow your dream." Dreams are for people who are ASLEEP.

Exactly

Exactly

...I wish I had their dreams

But dreams don't need to have motion

To keep their spark alive

Obsession has to have action

Pride turns on the drive

The age old question of heart vs. mind

You just had to quote the Band, didn't ya...??!! Now I'm screwed...... :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

• Like 3

You just had to quote the Band, didn't ya...??!! Now I'm screwed...... :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

He didn't quote The Band he quoted Rush ;)

In any case, if it was good enough for Martin Luther King, then it is certainly good enough for me.

• Like 1

Oh, I thought you might have meant Three Percenters.

Disregard.

• Like 1

3 Jobs I've had in my life-librarian, health care worker, accountant

3 Places I've visited-Vancouver, Toronto, Washington State

3 People I've talked to today-my boss, my guy friend, my coworker

3 Things I'm looking forward to-Latin festival, Shakespeare in the park, Demi Lovato concert

3 People (dead or alive) I'd like to meet-Joe Hill, Geddy Lee, Robert Downey Jr

3 Things I've learned this year-don't worry about random jerks, don't sweat the small stuff, don't be a couch potato

• Like 4

3 Jobs..... only ever had the one.. Manual Production at Ford Motors.

3 Places i've visited.... USA, Italy, Yugoslavia.

3 People i've talked to today.. ummm would my new Moka Pot, my faulty W/C Cistern Valve and my Omelette count ?

3 Things i'm looking forward to... A new job, Travel, A casual Woman Friend / lover.

3 People DOA i'd like to meet... Sir Francis Drake, Sir Isaac Newton, Ghengis Khan.

3 Things i've learned this year.. People are bastards, people are bastards, keep yourself to yourself.

• Like 2

3 Jobs..... Armorer, HVAC Mechanic, Wilderness Survival Instructor.

3 Places i've visited.... Bermuda, Mexico, Grand Cayman Island.

3 People i've talked to today.. Dalton Thornley, Bill Herrmann, Karissa Drake.

3 Things i'm looking forward to...seeing Bocephus next month, a new business venture wherein I will be teaching tactical shooting, Shot Show 2017.

3 People DOA i'd like to meet... Hannibal Barca, Julius Caesar, George Washington.

3 Things i've learned this year... that some folks may say they want your help but in reality are too scared to try anything you suggest and the best you can do is say "I tried", that Mead is wonderful, wonderful stuff, how to fashion a primitive bow.

3 Things i've learned this year.. People are bastards, people are bastards, keep yourself to yourself.

That is so true. I don't trust anyone anymore. Been screwed over by a lot of "frenemies." Edited by Boots