Pop Punk Thread

I liked Tsunami Bomb. They didn't last long, but they had some jams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhWOc_Vl-us

I liked them, too. I wanted to see them on the warped tour this year, but they were only on certain dates.
  • Like 1

I've seen pop-punk used as a label to bash basically anything that doesn't suit a particular fan's tastes so often that I have trouble knowing what it means.

To my ears bands like Green Day and the Offspring are just the next step after Bad Religion and the Descendents, who in turn followed the Adolescents.

If those are pop punk, then I love punk punk, as Bad Religion is one of my all time favorite bands.

I like seeing people here drawing it back further to the Buzzcocks or even back to the Ramones, but I guess that's why the term is hard for me to use.

Does Operation Ivy count (or Rancid?) What about the ska influenced punks like Fishbone or the Bosstones?

If Madness counts they certainly are pop, and amazing.

Does the Clash count? Not on Sandinista, but what about Combat Rock?

I get the impression that what we're talking about here is the Bad Religion influence based on the Green Day and Offspring mentions, and I really like most of the older Epitaph bands.

I've traveled in a lot of punk circles though and when I read 'pop-punk' it's usually used with derision, so I cringe. Because I love Bad Religion, and they get blamed for causing Green Day and the Offspring, who get blamed for Blink 182, and so on. I hate how elitist punks can be (and progs too, and metal heads).

It's really nice to be in a forum where the general consensus seems to be openness to other approaches. I was expecting pretentious responses declaring that anything after (insert year) isn't REAL PUNK.

I'm starting to really like this forum.

Interesting points.

Madness were more associated with the SKA movement, along with bands like the Specials, although both genres rose to prominence around the same time.

Bands like the Jam and even the Police, were tagged with the punk label early on.

As for the Clash, they began as part of the punk movement, but evolved musically, pretty quickly.

The same thing can be said about the Stranglers and Magazine.

For me, Punk was always short, sharp, fast angry songs. No fuss. No solos.

• Like 1

I've seen pop-punk used as a label to bash basically anything that doesn't suit a particular fan's tastes so often that I have trouble knowing what it means.

To my ears bands like Green Day and the Offspring are just the next step after Bad Religion and the Descendents, who in turn followed the Adolescents.

If those are pop punk, then I love punk punk, as Bad Religion is one of my all time favorite bands.

I like seeing people here drawing it back further to the Buzzcocks or even back to the Ramones, but I guess that's why the term is hard for me to use.

Does Operation Ivy count (or Rancid?) What about the ska influenced punks like Fishbone or the Bosstones?

If Madness counts they certainly are pop, and amazing.

Does the Clash count? Not on Sandinista, but what about Combat Rock?

I get the impression that what we're talking about here is the Bad Religion influence based on the Green Day and Offspring mentions, and I really like most of the older Epitaph bands.

I've traveled in a lot of punk circles though and when I read 'pop-punk' it's usually used with derision, so I cringe. Because I love Bad Religion, and they get blamed for causing Green Day and the Offspring, who get blamed for Blink 182, and so on. I hate how elitist punks can be (and progs too, and metal heads).

It's really nice to be in a forum where the general consensus seems to be openness to other approaches. I was expecting pretentious responses declaring that anything after (insert year) isn't REAL PUNK.

I'm starting to really like this forum.

Madness were more associated with the SKA movement, along with bands like the Specials, although both genres rose to prominence around the same time.

Ska, though, began in Jamaica in the 50's or so. What we typically call ska was always a blending of traditional ska with the emerging punk explorations, that's why I mentioned them.

On your other point about what punk means to you, is that it seems to mean a lot of things to a lot of people.

Early Police (Fall Out, Nothing Achieving, Landlord) were definitely punk by most definitions.

I like your answer to my question, though, because it gives me the boundaries for my answer.

Based on what I've seen in this thread I'd say I like pop-punk, but up to a point. If it becomes to polished or tries to obviously to be radio or video friendly I start to really hate it.

And since I can't actually judge someone's intent perhaps I'm wrong about my reason. But for whatever reason, sometimes it can be 'pop' for my tastes.

• Like 2

Ska did indeed originate in Jamaica.

It came to England via Jamaican refugees after WW2.

It had an affinity with early punk as it dealt with social injustice

for the most part.

Madness was very much the brighter side of the genre.

I must admit, I'm not familiar with those early Police songs before Roxette.

I agree Punk needs to have a raw sound .

• Like 2

I knew of them but hadn't heard them until the last few years. You can see those threads on the first two Police albums in a few songs, but they became so good at where they were headed that they quickly left those roots behind. But I was surprised at how good they were, if they had wanted to they could have had success as punks.

• Like 1

I knew of them but hadn't heard them until the last few years. You can see those threads on the first two Police albums in a few songs, but they became so good at where they were headed that they quickly left those roots behind. But I was surprised at how good they were, if they had wanted to they could have had success as punks.

Fallout, Nothing Achieving, Landlord and Dead End Job are great punk songs from the box set. Strange to hear Sting drop an F bomb aggressively and even the C word on the latter song. It's like hearing Billy Joel say "f**k" on Laura from Nylon Curtain.

• Like 2

When I was just getting into music and didn't really know my way around or my definitions, Green Day's American Idiot was the first thing that came to mind when I thought of punk. Now Dookie is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of pop-punk and the Ramones are the first thing when I think of punk, but they're all really not all that different.
  • Like 1

Wow just occurred to me how much I miss listening to Sugar/Bob mould -listening to your favorite thing . It been a while, going to get back to listening to them again. What a great pop punk songwriter he is. Solo stuff and Husker du too, Warehouse is one of my favourites. Seriously unknown, needs more recognition.
  • Like 1

Bob Mould is amazing. His work with Husker Du and Sugar is almost as profound to me as Rush's work.

Here is my favorite song from Sugar. It's so bad ass. :haz:

• Like 1

Wow just occurred to me how much I miss listening to Sugar/Bob mould -listening to your favorite thing . It been a while, going to get back to listening to them again. What a great pop punk songwriter he is. Solo stuff and Husker du too, Warehouse is one of my favourites. Seriously unknown, needs more recognition.

I know that this isn't really Pop Punk, but I got to put this out here. Just listen to the guitar work on this song by Bob Mould. The man is amazing. He is the Godfather of Punk in my book. The solos in this song give me goosebumps. :)

• Like 1

A great one by Tsunami Bomb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcgxlPXAYdw

I haven't heard this one in years and I still remember all of the lyrics. Catchy as f**k...it's gonna be stuck in my head all day.

One of my favorites from them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41nyxH3-0_8

Another great song!

SuperSmasher....check out Moose Blood!

Pop punk with an early 2000's emo edge! They remind me so much of Brand New and Jimmy Eat World...they really British and they have knocked Young Guns off the top of my favourite brit bands list haha

• Like 1

SuperSmasher....check out Moose Blood!

Pop punk with an early 2000's emo edge! They remind me so much of Brand New and Jimmy Eat World...they really British and they have knocked Young Guns off the top of my favourite brit bands list haha

I will listen to them this week!
  • Like 1