Pop Punk Thread

Don't let the name mislead you. Pop punk is a punk rock sub-genre with all the fast chord progressions of punk rock, but with good choruses and usually lighter themes than sniffing glue and anarchy in the U.K. The genre was significantly influenced by bands like Green Day, The Offspring, and Blink-182 (some of my favorite bands). Some of my favorite pop punk bands are All Time Low, Mayday Parade, State Champs, and A Day To Remember (who mixes it with Metalcore). Any other pop punk fans here besides me?
  • Like 2

SS, do you know The Star Spangles ??

They had one great album - and then disappeared ... They were like the early Replacements

Great performance on Letterman:

And more along the lines of what you're talkin' here, I love this song and video:

• Like 2

And more along the lines of what you're talkin' here, I love this song and video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO-mSLxih-c

These guys are probably my favorite pop punk band!
  • Like 1

Check out The Juliana Theory- Emotion Is Dead

A forerunner of a lot of the employment infused pop punk that is popular today.

Mayday Parade's "A Lesson In Romantics" is one of the finest debuts I've ever heard.

I've seen pop-punk used as a label to bash basically anything that doesn't suit a particular fan's tastes so often that I have trouble knowing what it means.

To my ears bands like Green Day and the Offspring are just the next step after Bad Religion and the Descendents, who in turn followed the Adolescents.

If those are pop punk, then I love punk punk, as Bad Religion is one of my all time favorite bands.

I like seeing people here drawing it back further to the Buzzcocks or even back to the Ramones, but I guess that's why the term is hard for me to use.

Does Operation Ivy count (or Rancid?) What about the ska influenced punks like Fishbone or the Bosstones?

If Madness counts they certainly are pop, and amazing.

Does the Clash count? Not on Sandinista, but what about Combat Rock?

I get the impression that what we're talking about here is the Bad Religion influence based on the Green Day and Offspring mentions, and I really like most of the older Epitaph bands.

I've traveled in a lot of punk circles though and when I read 'pop-punk' it's usually used with derision, so I cringe. Because I love Bad Religion, and they get blamed for causing Green Day and the Offspring, who get blamed for Blink 182, and so on. I hate how elitist punks can be (and progs too, and metal heads).

It's really nice to be in a forum where the general consensus seems to be openness to other approaches. I was expecting pretentious responses declaring that anything after (insert year) isn't REAL PUNK.

I'm starting to really like this forum.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 6

Some great songs that were on heavy rotation for me back in the day

Tsar "Kathy Fong Is The Bomb"

The Muffs "Oh Nina"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bm2T_gjeiU

And my favorite of the bunch .. Is it pop ?? .. is it punk ?? .. It walks the line between disaster and absolute genius

Judy And Mary "Motto"