1990s Non Grunge Thread

Lucas

There was a lot of great music that came out of the 1990s - music that wasn't grunge or associated with that scene ..

Some bands finally hit their stride in the 90s, and some bands released their first albums -

I'm on a 90s retro kick right now, and I wanna hear about some of the stuff I might have missed ..

A few favorites from that time:

- Pulp "Different Class" ( one of my all time favorite albums )

- Chainsaw Kittens "Pop Heiress"

- Supersuckers "The Sacrilicious Sounds of The Supersuckers"

- Placebo "Without You I'm Nothing"

- Redd Kross "Phaseshifter"

- Lunachicks "Jerk Of All Trades"

- Reverend Horton Heat "Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em"

- Superdrag "Regretfully Yours"

- Shonen Knife "Let's Knife"

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

King's X!

Yes, now there is a band that I need to go back and listen to . . Everything I have heard - a very small sample - I have liked

I could enjoy giving them another run as well.

• Like 1

I know you've already discovered the mighty Anglagard, but what about Anekdoten, also of Sweden? Here's the opening track to their 1993 album "Vemod."

• Like 1

Oh, White Zombie of course! Check out 1992's La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One and 1995's Astro-Creep: 2000 if you're not already familiar. Good stuff!

I know you've already discovered the mighty Anglagard, but what about Anekdoten, also of Sweden? Here's the opening track to their 1993 album "Vemod."

I love Until All The Ghosts Are Gone

Great band

Oh, White Zombie of course! Check out 1992's La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One and 1995's Astro-Creep: 2000 if you're not already familiar. Good stuff!

f**k yeah!
  • Like 2

Weezer, Radiohead, Collective Soul...

Just trying to think of some as the 90's is a decade I'm not musically familiar with, really. Not nearly as much as the 70's.

Wasn't the term "postmodern" thrown around in the 90s?

Well, I'll get the obvious (coming from me, anyway) out of the way- the classic first four albums by the Black Crowes were all released between 1990 and '96.

Other favourites of mine:

Two words- Jeff Buckley!

Jamiroquai: Emergency on Planet Earth, Return of the Space Cowboy, and Traveling Without Moving

Britpop happened in the '90s- Lucas mentioned Pulp, and I'll add Blur to that mix- The Great Escape is a great album.

Ben Harper got his start in the '90s- Welcome to the Cruel World and Fight For Your Mind are both fantastic.

Tori Amos- Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink are both masterpieces. Classically strange alternative chamber music...fantastic.

Ani DiFranco first came along in the '90s too, didn't she?

REM was still relevant and making great music in the early '90s. With Monster, I thought they'd gone off the deep end a little bit. And then the drummer left, and they never replaced him, and...ehhhmm...anyway, Out of Time and Automatic for the People are both classics.

Guided By Voices- Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, Under the Bushes Under the Stars, and Mag Earwhig! are wall-to-wall great.

I'm sure I'll think of a lot more...just need some time.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

Technically, the late late 80s but most, like myself, didn't know about her until the 90s. Saw her twice in concert. Once in a mid-size auditorium in the late 90s in Oregon-- was kind of disappointing as the gig was pretty short. The second time about 10 years ago was out here in a small club that holds just a few hundred max. It was just her on her acoustic, no other musicians. That was a pretty cool show and one of my favorites of all time actually. Naturally, most of the audience didn't understand what she was saying (language barrier) between songs but man is she funny...and smart.

I loved her and Juliana Hatfield in the 90s. The love has weakened but I still enjoy them and play their stuff from time to time.

• Like 1

Technically, the late late 80s but most, like myself, didn't know about her until the 90s. Saw her twice in concert. Once in a mid-size auditorium in the late 90s in Oregon-- was kind of disappointing as the gig was pretty short. The second time about 10 years ago was out here in a small club that holds just a few hundred max. It was just her on her acoustic, no other musicians. That was a pretty cool show and one of my favorites of all time actually. Naturally, most of the audience didn't understand what she was saying (language barrier) between songs but man is she funny...and smart.

I loved her and Juliana Hatfield in the 90s. The love has weakened but I still enjoy them and play their stuff from time to time.

I suspected it might have been late '80s, but yeah...I saw her live once as well- she opened for Joan Baez in 1996.