What Concerts Do You Regret Missing

Oh, and Metallica came to Rio in 1989 touring ...And Justice for All, and I hardly knew any of their songs back then. Too bad, it would have been nice to see them live while they sill had anything that resembled balls.
  • Like 3

Back in university me and a few friends used to do the bus tours to concerts in other cities - usually in the USA. One time I just didn't feel like going and missed a great show. Pink Floyd The Wall in NYC (the original mini tour)
  • Like 1

It was freshman year of college when it happened and I was dorming at the time it happened - a co-headlining show featuring Devin Townsend and Katatonia (who closed out the show) w/Paradise Lost opening as well as a 4th band in the opening slot. The only reason why I didn't go was because at the time the only Katatonia I knew was Night Is The New Day and the newest album at the time was Dead End King and I had yet to listen to it, and also I had yet to listen to either Devin Townsend (though knew of his name) or Paradise Lost. I don't regret it in the sense that the OP probably feels or that I felt it was a mistake that I didn't go because I did myself a favor in the end cause the 18 year old me wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as the 22 year old me would have. But knowing the set they played that night, if I had my music taste today back then, I would've been a priority to go see it cause I was residing a few streets away from the venue.

There were other shows I missed on for the same reasons (i.e. the two Opeth/Katatonia shows at Webster Hall in 2011, the Opeth/Mastodon/Ghost show in 2012) but the happy ending for those scenarios is that I eventually saw most of those bands live after I immersed myself more in the music.

I'm with Digital Dad- Rush R40. Health and calendar didn't fall together last summer.

U2 at Red Rocks in 1983. We lived in Colorado then and were always running down to Denver for shows- that was the problem. (Another 2 hrs down and 2 hrs back and work the next day? We'll go another time . . . .) It was an awesome show, though.

Strangely, Elvis. (yes, I'm old vintage.) He played one of his last shows in Pittsburgh, New Year's Eve, 1976, and passed away 8 months later. My girlfriend and I meant to go but decided to have a party instead. By all accounts it was a high energy show, Elvis was in great voice, and it was one of the better appearances of the year before he died. :(

Edited by blueschica

Missed out on Gary Moore. Just didn't have the cash to spare right then. I figured there was always next year..but he died the following year :(

Iron Maiden was playing in Atlanta back in 2012. I was in Atlanta working for a week and was working that day when I found out about show. Show was outside and I had been working outside in the heat all day, got off about 5 back at hotel around 6 took shower and just was too tired. My thinking that night was, 'it was hot', you would be miserable ..trying to convince myself that night I had made the right choice.

Wrong: Should have went, have had no chances to see them since.

The Police Reunion tour in May 2008. I was in Kansas City and had a business partner who had an extra seat on the 14th row, left side. Just was not into it, when in reality should have went. Again idiot move.

They have not toured together since 2008

• Like 1

Back in university me and a few friends used to do the bus tours to concerts in other cities - usually in the USA. One time I just didn't feel like going and missed a great show. Pink Floyd The Wall in NYC (the original mini tour)

Oh man that's a painful one to miss!

Collective Souls last tour. They played 3 cities within driving distance, one 30 miles away, and I had to work all three times. Two of the shows were the day before and day after Thanksgiving.
  • Like 1

Only two stand out...

Queen's Jazz tour that resulted in Live Killers, and Maiden/Judas Priest circa 1981. Killers & British Steel tour. :drool:

• Like 2

U2 at Red Rocks in 1983. We lived in Colorado then and were always running down to Denver for shows- that was the problem. (Another 2 hrs down and 2 hrs back and work the next day? We'll go another time . . . .) It was an awesome show, though.

I'll add U2's War tour to my list. I didn't see them until the Unforgettable Fire tour (which was friggin' fantastic.)

• Like 1

I'll add U2's War tour to my list. I didn't see them until the Unforgettable Fire tour (which was friggin' fantastic.)

I saw ZooTV (Achtung Baby), which was killer.
  • Like 1

I had tickets to see Ozzy w/ Randy Rhoads for March 29th 1982 at The Meadowlands ...

Randy died March 19th, ten days before the show

I'm still crushed

RIP

http://www.metalinsider.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Randy-Rhoads.jpg

• Like 1

So The Wall tour was one. Back in 1980, we had very close family friends, one of whom was program director for the number one rock station in Montreal CHOM FM. He was arranging for me to get very good seats to see Led Zeppelin. I was walking home one day, when the bass player in my band pulled up beside me and asked if I was going to see them. I excitedly said yes. He said "no you're not. John Bonham just died." Major bummer!
  • Like 1

Some of Rush's very early gigs.

Eagle, did you see them on the Hemispheres tour ?

Yeah. It was my first tour.

• Like 2

I had a chance to see Opeth/Katatonia in 2013 2 days before Steven Wilson. I was all set to go but decided against it because I had class that night and I wasn't super familiar with them. I found out that the class was cancelled when I got there.

The Rolling Stones two years ago in Buffalo. Would have loved to see them but didn't have the cash

Missed ELP last go around in 86 I believe. College interfered with my rock.schedule. bah!

That really bummed me out. I wound up seeing the 3, Emerson lake and Powell, Greg Lake solo and Carl.Palmer with Asia, but never got to see the Real.ELP.

I've seen almost 1000live shows, and that's not bad to only miss one thing. Living in and around Chicago my entire life I've been exposed to everything and it's been an amazing musical journey

• Like 1

Queen + Adam Lambert. Friend bought an extra ticket just for me, asked me too late...I was already signed up to go to an expensive saxophone camp all week that week, no time for a concert in Chicago. :(

On the other hand that meant Rush with my dad was my first concert, so bright side still came through.

• Like 1

Queen + Adam Lambert. Friend bought an extra ticket just for me, asked me too late...I was already signed up to go to an expensive saxophone camp all week that week, no time for a concert in Chicago. :(

On the other hand that meant Rush with my dad was my first concert, so bright side still came through.

I really would only be interested in seeing the band with Freddy. I was just becoming old enough to go to concerts at about the same time they stopped touring due to Freddy's declining health.
  • Like 1