R40 DVD best performances

Thiagolcst

I know a lot of people don't like the R40, but at least for me, it contains some of the best performances of the band.

I watched all the DVDs from the band, and in my opinion, the R40 has the best versions of The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, Far Cry, Animate (very cool) and Distant Early Warning.

Anyone else think that?

Jacob's Ladder :yes:

Yep. For a song they did only once and for a short time on a tour over thirty years ago, you would never have known it.

That and Losing It were perfect.

Sadly, I still don't like Losing It. I've always hoped that would change, especially since I was there for a performance of it, but :no:

Jacobs Ladder,a song I didn't care for much but after seeing and hearing it on R40 I can't get enough of it.Losing it was brilliant.Unfortunately I feel the first few numbers are vocally shaky.
  • Like 3

Jacobs Ladder,a song I didn't care for much but after seeing and hearing it on R40 I can't get enough of it.Losing it was brilliant.Unfortunately I feel the first few numbers are vocally shaky.

He somehow sounded better on the older stuff.

If only Alex had played it right . . . sigh.

What did he do wrong?

The riff before the solo and the solo itself should have more bends. He plays more straight notes. I know it sounds like a little thing, but the solo lacks some of the passion and richness because of those little cheats. Unfortunately for me, I am unable to not notice it.

• Like 2

If only Alex had played it right . . . sigh.

What did he do wrong?

The riff before the solo and the solo itself should have more bends. He plays more straight notes. I know it sounds like a little thing, but the solo lacks some of the passion and richness because of those little cheats. Unfortunately for me, I am unable to not notice it.

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember this coming up once before on here. Or was it The Camera Eye? I think JARG mentioned something similar about his "cheating" at the beginning of the song.

Ignorance of the technicalities of music is bliss sometimes! :)

Every musician I've known mentally dissects music into parts by instrument, beats and depending on their knowledge of theory, measures, bridge, refrains...etc. Its not a bad thing but it definitely changes how you listen to something.

• Like 2

I will say that the guitar sounds gorgeous at the beginning of the R40 version. And over all I like it well enough. It's just that I can't not compare it to what has been etched into my brain. It's really just that one note at 2:08 in the video above - the one he frets with his pinky - that stands out. Even though that solo is fairly short, I think the album version is very powerful.

Also, I think Lee rushes the synthesizer parts in the quiet bit. Now I'll shaddap.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

I will say that the guitar sounds gorgeous at the beginning of the R40 version. And over all I like it well enough. It's just that I can't not compare it to what has been etched into my brain. It's really just that one note at 2:08 in the video above - the one he frets with his pinky - that stands out. Even though that solo is fairly short, I think the album version is very powerful.

Also, I think Lee rushes the synthesizer parts in the quiet bit. Now I'll shaddap.

I get the feeling that because they had not played Jacob's Ladder for such a long time, Alex might have had to go back and relearn his parts - and perhaps he actually relearned some of it differently

• Like 1

I had a friend who unless a band didn't play it exactly as was on record,and that included live lps,then they were doing it wrong.But then he went to see the Doobie Brothers and complained they were boring because they sounded just like the records.As a guitarist I never play the same thing twice.It's all about the moment with me.I was listening to Ghost of a Chance(live)on Retrospective today and i love those different fills that Alex does.

I think their best performances by far are Jacob's Ladder, Losing It, and Cygnus X-I.

Ged's voice can't hold up on their really old stuff but I love that they still played them anyway just for us fans.

• Like 3

I think that is true of the Time Machine DVD and CA DVD as well. Ged seems to take a handful of songs to get warmed up vocally on those. Then after that he is off to the races.

• Like 1