Guitar Douches

So I've been getting pretty into guitar, after playing bass for something like 2 years, I decided a few months ago to pick up an acoustic and learn some folky songs. And I really really love it.

My issue is, when I go to social gatherings, like camping, or the beach, (not house parties that'd be weird) I would like to play a bit, since it's one of my favorite things to do.But I'm afraid I'm going to be seen as a douche who tries to look cool with a guitar, and I don't want to annoy people, so what should I do in this case? Just leave it at home?

Also general thoughts on guys who do this?

• Like 1

So I've been getting pretty into guitar, after playing bass for something like 2 years, I decided a few months ago to pick up an acoustic and learn some folky songs. And I really really love it.

My issue is, when I go to social gatherings, like camping, or the beach, (not house parties that'd be weird) I would like to play a bit, since it's one of my favorite things to do.But I'm afraid I'm going to be seen as a douche who tries to look cool with a guitar, and I don't want to annoy people, so what should I do in this case? Just leave it at home?

Maybe if its a beach thing and you know people rhere. Could be fun. Even better if they ask you.

• Like 1

Heh, seriously, go ahead and do it! Be prepared for people to ask for requests and ask you to sing (vs. just playing) but it's always nice to listen to someone who can play. :guitar:

• Like 11

Heh, seriously, go ahead and do it! Be prepared for people to ask for requests and ask you to sing (vs. just playing) but it's always nice to listen to someone who can play. :guitar:

Or really ahem, liven up a quick little camping trip

• Like 4

http://youtu.be/8V_hCqO6UQs

Or really ahem, liven up a quick little camping trip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po&feature=share

That movie is finally on Netflix, pretty cool to see it again, I hadn't seen it in a long time, lol. Gave me those nightmares when I was little.

http://youtu.be/8V_hCqO6UQs

Yeah I figure it'll be ok, friends are pretty cool about it so no one will have a problem

I have a friend who does this but only after a few beers; I don't know why the beers first, as he's quite good. We all enjoy it ! Sounds like you know what you're doing and wouldn't be "that guy" trying to strum three chords he doesn't know really slowly while watching his fingers . . . .

General thoughts on guys who do this?

Generally I'd like to shove their guitars where the sun don't shine lol.

Busking guitarists are a very different matter. I have heard many buskers playing great music.

oh damn . . when I saw the thread title, I thought this was gonna be a place to talk about Frank Zappa

No. But it is a fitting place for discussion about your avatar.

Edited by Mr. Not

oh damn . . when I saw the thread title, I thought this was gonna be a place to talk about Frank Zappa

No. But it is a fitting place for discussion about your avatar.

That is my hand in the avatar, so discuss away

Make sure you bring plenty of Pepsi , BassMasterGeneral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrjvUTfcpWI

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to be "that guy". The point of going to the beach, at least anywhere around here, is to be outdoors (away from human noise, etc). I realize in certain parts of the country the beach is more like a frat house than nature preserve, so it would depend on the etiquette for that area. If you do go, and expect to play "for others", then learn a bunch of cover songs. Wish You Were Here, Stairway, etc. Stuff that people know well and is acoustic based. Otherwise you'll just bore and annoy with pointless noodling.

I woudn't consider that being a guitar douche at all. Just don't wear sandals!

The only guitar douches IMO are the ones who sit next to you at Guitar Center, turn it to 10, and shred right over you.

• Like 1

I thought this was going to be about what to do when you get too much dust building up inside your guitar.

We use a special technique I call "knocking the dust off."

• Like 2