OPETH Sorceress - artwork, tracklist

treeduck

I'm torn on the album. The slower stuff is good, but it kinda drags the album down. It starts off really good then wanders before finishing strong. Going to give it some headphone time in the coming days, it's not a particularly good album for the car with sections of songs being quiet/low volume.
  • Like 1

It's a great album. Reminds of Deep Purple, Rainbow and, of course, Jethro Tull. Much prefer it to the previous album that had few standout moments.

Back to form in a big way.

Is it metal enough for you though?

Chug chug chug chugger chug chug!!

• Like 1

This album is fuckking AMAZING!!!

DUH!

I have my ticket to see them at The Warfield!

Fuckking THE SWORD IS OPENING!!

It's a grower of an album for me, but the more I listen to it, the more I fall in love with it! I saw them last Saturday at Radio City Music Hall and it was the best Opeth show I'll ever see in my life PERIOD! The Sword were very awesome, probably the best band next to Katatonia I've seen open for them (In Flames SUCKED when I saw them open for Opeth 2 years ago). Too bad I don't know the names of their songs yet cause that was the first time I even heard their music, but yeah I totally dig their stoner metal/rock meets prog vibe I got off them.

PM!!!

YES!!! A GROWER!!! BETTER THAN A GROWLER!!!

I have all OPETH but I am a rare fan who is happy that Mikel stopped that f***ing annoying COOKIE MONSTER SHIT!!

This band has evolved into a melodic progressive rock band of EPIC PROPORTIONS!!!!

Same here. I love and own all the albums but only tolerated the growling. Why is that a thing anyway? I totally don't get it.

The thing is though if you consider all the songs on the albums with "cookie monster" vocals, and if you removed them all what would you put in their place? Would "clean" vocals fit in their place? I doubt it. And even though MA has stopped writing songs with death vocals he doesn't change the old ones into clean vocal versions for live performances.

I'm not a fan of the "growling" style at all but I give Opeth a pass because they are so f***ing good.

• Like 3

I saw OPETH on their last tour and it was mellow and excellent.

TONIGHT THEY FUCKINGG BLEW MY MIND!!!!!!

A The Warfield wearing my Kris Bryant Cubs jersey!!!!

Opeth blew my fuckking mind.

Opeth is the only band in the world where I can deal with that growl cookie monster bullshit.

f**k!!

They ended with "DELIVERANCE!"

One of the greatest songs ever made.

They kept fuckking up on stage.

All the Opeth fans around me said that they were fuckking with us.

Seriously.

They kept f***ing up songs.

They only played a part of Blackwater Park....

Then stopped.

Mikel is a genius.

Mentioned Bruce Springsteen and RONNIE JAMES DIO!!!!!

OPETH FUCKKING RULES!

THE NEW RUSH!

They were off the charts tonight.

Shocked.

Blew Marillion away. Apples to Oranges but man lately Opeth was very mellow.

NOT TONIGHT!

A man's band with a woman's touch?

I am so blessed and amazed that I saw Marillion and Opeth in 48 hours.

There is hope.

Cubs win.

Alice Cooper Wednesday.

So happy.

Being single is wonderful.

All the rock shows are here for me.

Guess I chose music over love.

I will take my "BURDEN" to the grave!

Do you OPETH fans get it?

Signed,

WATERSHED

OPETH FUCKKING RULES!

I feel so sorry for humans who don't get this band.

They were immaculate.

Opeth fans were singing to the lyrics with their eyes closed.

It was like a religious experience around me.

Yet I felt safe and happy.

Opeth sucked last tour.

Tonight they were untouchable.

Take my word or ignore me.

Gonna sleep like a baby man.

Going to sleep forever in the Devil's Orchard.

• Like 2

It's ironic how much I enjoyed the first few prerelease tracks, but once in my hands and ears, the album ended up falling a touch flat.

I'll come back to it later, it is Opeth after all. But my impression of the album over time isn't as positive as I had hoped. It will end up being a middling album in my Opeth rotation.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

It's ironic how much I enjoyed the first few prerelease tracks, but once in my hands and ears, the album ended up falling a touch flat.

I'll come back to it later, it is Opeth after all. But my impression of the album over time isn't as positive as I had hoped. It will end up being a middling album in my Opeth rotation.

This pretty much sums my thoughts up as well.

Good post

Still, as you said its opeth....my expectations are always so high

• Like 1

Already posted in another of RUSHHEAD666's threads, but I love this release. Fookin' awesome! And where the hell is the Opeth thread anyways?

I own Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation, so I picked this one up on a whim on Saturday. WTF is this mellow shit? I need my growls.

I prefer the growls too, man...but it seems they only do them live now. I think Akerfeldt felt like they were repeating themselves and stuck within a formula when Watershed was released, and decided to go on a different direction since then. They´ve become proggier, and less heavy with every release from Heritage onwards.

I own Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation, so I picked this one up on a whim on Saturday. WTF is this mellow shit? I need my growls.

I prefer the growls too, man...but it seems they only do them live now. I think Akerfeldt felt like they were repeating themselves and stuck within a formula when Watershed was released, and decided to go on a different direction since then. They´ve become proggier, and less heavy with every release from Heritage onwards.

Watershed was the turning point album. There's a distinct difference that got flashed on Watershed that got fully embraced on the albums since.

Fwiw, I don't seek out growly music but I can listen to most of Opeth's.

I would like to see a heavier (or at least less mellowly produced) album from Opeth next, but I am really fond of this one. Beautiful brutal cover. Warm production but perhaps not as good as the likes of Damnation and Blackwater Park; it's got a very old school keyboards sound.

I liked it from the start but it still took a while to click.

I think I need to agree with Earl's assessment of Opeth as "a man's band with a woman's touch"--there's something oddly sexy about their recent non-growl releases--I'm thinking of moments like the end of Chrysalis--which give their music a slightly feminine touch at times. I like it a lot.

• Like 1

I think I need to agree with Earl's assessment of Opeth as "a man's band with a woman's touch"--there's something oddly sexy about their recent non-growl releases--I'm thinking of moments like the end of Chrysalis--which give their music a slightly feminine touch at times. I like it a lot.

Did you... I think you just called Opeth pussies?! :P

• Like 2

:laughing guy:

:LOL: It looks that way!

Big part of the reason I couldn't get into Sorceress was the production. I wasn't sure if I could easily remedy the overpowering bass, but it turns out it wasn't that hard. Looks to me like the mastering engineer pumped a few lower EQ bands, so I adjusted them (downward) and ran a mild limiter so levels between the songs were relatively the same. Sounds MUCH better IMO, now you can hear more of the other instrumentation previously buried by the overpowering bass.

If anyone wants my remastered version let me know. A few of the songs are ovecompressed, this isn't something I can fix as that was done before it went to disc.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Big part of the reason I couldn't get into Sorceress was the production. I wasn't sure if I could easily remedy the overpowering bass, but it turns out it wasn't that hard. Looks to me like the mastering engineer pumped a few lower EQ bands, so I adjusted them (downward) and ran a mild limiter so levels between the songs were relatively the same. Sounds MUCH better IMO, now you can hear more of the other instrumentation previously buried by the overpowering bass.

If anyone wants my remastered version let me know. A few of the songs are ovecompressed, this isn't something I can fix as that was done before it went to disc.

I'd be very interested to hear this Stoop!

• Like 1