OPETH Sorceress - artwork, tracklist

treeduck

http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/opethsorceresscd.jpg

Swedish progressive metallers OPETH will release their twelfth album, "Sorceress", on September 30. The band's first effort for Nuclear Blast via OPETH's imprint label Moderbolaget Records is proof chief architect Mikael Åkerfeldt has a near-endless well of greatness inside. From the album's opener "Persephone" to "The Wilde Flowers" and "Strange Brew" to the album's counterpart title tracks "Sorceress" and "Sorceress II", OPETH's new full-length is an unparalleled adventure, where visions cleverly and secretly change, colors mute as if weathered by time, and sounds challenge profoundly.

For "Sorceress", OPETH returned to Rockfield Studios in Wales, also home to pivotal releases from QUEEN, RUSH and JUDAS PRIEST, where the Swedes had tracked "Pale Communion" in 2014 with Tom Dalgety. The band spent twelve days recording at the countryside venue among its serene and inspiring surroundings. The result is nothing short of a powerful and intriguing record that will add yet another layer to the band's celebrated career.

"The new album 'Sorceress' is our twelfth studio album since our beginnings in 1990," says Åkerfeldt. "I find it difficult to understand that we've been going on for twenty-six years, let alone that we've made twelve records now, all of which I am very proud of. 'Sorceress' is no exception.

"I love this album, as does the whole band. I wrote the music during five-six months and we spent only twelve days recording it at Rockfield studios in Wales.

"I find that once again we've taken a step forward. Or sideways, Or backwards. Somewhere!? It's different! It's extremely diverse. And if I may say so myself, extremely good. I feel the right to say that since I like to think I know this band better than anyone on the planet. Also, I always manage to detach myself from the record and listen as a fan.

"It's a fine little record. My favorite in our discography right now. Of course. That's how it should be, right? It's both fresh and old, both progressive and rehashed. Heavy and calm. Just the way we like it. Hopefully there'll be others around the globe sharing this opinion. It was a joy to make it. A f***ing joy to record it, and a sheer joy listening to it. So there you have it!

"Sorceress" track listing:

01. Persephone

02. Sorceress

03. The Wilde Flowers

04. Will O The Wisp

05. Chrysalis

06. Sorceress 2

07. The Seventh Sojourn

08. Strange Brew

09. A Fleeting Glance

10. Era

11. Persephone (Slight Return)

• Like 8

I hope its another growl-free album. I love the band, but their growling I do not understand....

They haven't done any death vocals on the last two albums and there isn't any on this one either.

• Like 2

I hope its another growl-free album. I love the band, but their growling I do not understand....

They haven't done any death vocals on the last two albums and there isn't any on this one either.

Thats great to hear, then I will buy it!

• Like 1

Excellent, sounds like it could be a great album.

Thats great to hear, then I will buy it!

Me too.

I don't think they confirmed that did they? It may be more like Watershed. I remember after Pale came out, Mikael was talking about how the next one may have some growls again

I don't think they confirmed that did they? It may be more like Watershed. I remember after Pale came out, Mikael was talking about how the next one may have some growls again

Well you might know more than me, I don't know.

Excited to hear some new Opeth!

I remember Mikael saying that a song on Pale Communion was going to have growls on it. I think it was River, but I could be wrong on that one. Either way, I'm not sure if they'll make it back in, but I'm curious to see where they're going with this one.

• Like 1

Excited to hear some new Opeth!

I remember Mikael saying that a song on Pale Communion was going to have growls on it. I think it was River, but I could be wrong on that one. Either way, I'm not sure if they'll make it back in, but I'm curious to see where they're going with this one.

Possibly. River is one of my favorites on the album but I wanna say it could've been Moon Above, Sun Below on account of it being the "heaviest" song on the album.

Mikael's comments on the album's sound has me interested already. Sounds like it could be a culmination of everything the band's done from Orchid right up to Pale Communion. Whether or not that means the growls will make a return in some capacity is anyone's guess but as long as there's some sense of progression of the band's sound, I'm all for it.

Very excited for this disc and to see what direction Opeth take. Since I've loved everything they've done, I guess I'm on-board for anything.
  • Like 2

I will listen, but had a hard time with heritage

I will listen, but had a hard time with heritage

What about Pale Communion?

That was much better, i even have qued for another listen this weekend

How's the title track boding for the rest of you? Personally, I think it's one of the better "singles" they've put out post-Watershed but I can't help but laugh at a "fan's" negative review citing the song's "objectfully inferior 4/4" arrangement. :LOL: