What Fast Foods Restaurants Do You Dislike

I think it's safe to say that people would be repulsed at horrified at 80% of all restaurants if they got an in-depth view behind the scenes.

I used to work at Taco Bell in high school. Everything was made fresh. Even the beans were cooked in a pressure cooker and then mixed up. Of course that could have all changed. I last worked there almost 30 years ago. :codger:
  • Like 1

I think it's safe to say that people would be repulsed at horrified at 80% of all restaurants if they got an in-depth view behind the scenes.

I used to work at Taco Bell in high school. Everything was made fresh. Even the beans were cooked in a pressure cooker and then mixed up. Of course that could have all changed. I last worked there almost 30 years ago. :codger:

Yeah,

I remember when they opened up about forty years ago where I grew up. Boy how things have changed.

I can't eat Burger King. I've gotten sick from their food more than once. Hardy's/Carl Jr's are just gross. Pizza Hut is the vilest form of pizza known to man.

I don't particularly care for McDonalds, but when you are in a big hurry, you can't argue with their convenience. While most of their menu is vile, I don't mind a big mac. And as far as french fries go, they are pretty good, if they are still warm. They go through some molecular metamorphosis once they get cold and no longer resemble french fries. And I don't know what their chicken McNuggets are made out of. I'm fairly confident it's not chicken. I can't believe my kids willingly eat those nuggets of vileness.

I think Wendy's is better than most fast food places. Their spicy chicken sandwich is pretty damn good. So is their chili. Their fries are not in the same league as McDonalds. I usually get the chili anyways.

KFC is pretty damn good, but hard to eat in the car.

I like Arby's but Arby's doesn't like me. Every time I eat an Arby's roast beef, it's a race against the clock to see if I can get home before I get the trots. :scared:

I absolutely LOATHE Subway more than any other FF place, hands down. Bad enough because the food is nasty, but I am blessed with a fair amount of local yokel sub shops in my neighborhood that make a far better sandwich for the money. And if I'm really needing it, the local Italian market's butcher/deli section and in- house bakery makes subs, and they bring it-all sorts of meats, fresh veggies, seeded crusty sub rolls, the works.
  • Like 2

I absolutely LOATHE Subway more than any other FF place, hands down. Bad enough because the food is nasty, but I am blessed with a fair amount of local yokel sub shops in my neighborhood that make a far better sandwich for the money. And if I'm really needing it, the local Italian market's butcher/deli section and in- house bakery makes subs, and they bring it-all sorts of meats, fresh veggies, seeded crusty sub rolls, the works.

Yeah,

I hate Subway as well. They use to be good but some thing has changed with the food.

From what I read in "Fast Food Nation," Taco Bell has indeed changed. Here's an excerpt:

At Taco Bell restaurants the food is “assembled,” not prepared. The guacamole isn’t made by workers in the kitchen; it’s made at a factory in Michoacán, Mexico, then frozen and shipped north. The chain’s taco meat arrives frozen and precooked in vacuum-sealed plastic bags. The beans are dehydrated and look like brownish corn flakes. The cooking process is fairly simple. “Everything’s add water,” a Taco Bell employee told me. “Just add hot water.”

From what I read in "Fast Food Nation," Taco Bell has indeed changed. Here's an excerpt:

At Taco Bell restaurants the food is “assembled,” not prepared. The guacamole isn’t made by workers in the kitchen; it’s made at a factory in Michoacán, Mexico, then frozen and shipped north. The chain’s taco meat arrives frozen and precooked in vacuum-sealed plastic bags. The beans are dehydrated and look like brownish corn flakes. The cooking process is fairly simple. “Everything’s add water,” a Taco Bell employee told me. “Just add hot water.”

I read recently they're putting tofu in the meat. Ugh.

I read recently they're putting tofu in the meat. Ugh.

If that's true, that's bad, especially if they're not making it widely known. Soy is a common food allergen.

• Like 1

That's very different from 1987. All the beef came fresh in 10 lbs. bags. Lettuce, tomatoes, and onions were cut fresh every morning. Even the cheese came in big blocks and was shredded each morning. Oh well, I don't eat there very much. I'd rather have authentic Mexican food. Plenty of little taco joints near me.
  • Like 2

In all this I have plumb forgot to mention I worked at a Burger King during the summer and part of the fall of 1970. It was back in today when you could get a Whopper, a small fries ,and a 12 ounce drink, AND get change back from a dollar. It was OK work, and a free lunch, which at the time got me into a serious Whaler addiction. Hey, the food was decent back then, the chain was new, and trying to put a dent in the competition from the Whitey One Bites across the street. The job got cut short when the City of Detroit thought I was hot enough shit to work for them, so I did.

In a pinch, McDonalds is the one I can tolerate no matter where I go...they are the most consistent! The simple hamburgers/cheeseburgers, and quarter pounder like things are always good...as is their fish sandwiches, and I love their breakfast when I'm in the mood for those kinds of calories! But I try NOT to eat any fast food with and regularity, unlike I did when I was younger and always out....

Wendy's is next, pretty consistent, food usually tastes good.

If you can find a Hardee's, I'll go there....but they're tough to find. We had a great one not far from where I used to live, and I was hooked on Frisco Burgers!

Burger King has gone WAAAY down hill over the years...their food tastes like crap! I never DID like Chick-Fil-A...KFC is slightly OK...but not great. The one in Hershey is bad, but the one where I used to work was pretty good.

Taco Bell is "eh" take it or leave it...have to be in the right mood...(rather just go to a Mexican place) but the food is usually good.

I totally hate Subway! worst food on the planet...I'd rather just go look for like an Italian restaurant that sells subs and pay maybe a little more...the food is usually fresher! Same with Pizza Hut...can't STAND their pizza, and there are plenty of pizza places all over...

• Like 1

I'm surprised to see so many people hating on subway... they don't even cook... what can they get so wrong? It's cold meat and veggies on bread. For five bucks, its not a bad deal.

They supposedly bake their own bread but it smells disgusting; it smells nothing like bread.

• Like 1

I'm surprised to see so many people hating on subway... they don't even cook... what can they get so wrong? It's cold meat and veggies on bread. For five bucks, its not a bad deal.

I used to really like it. But some thing has changed. JMO.

They supposedly bake their own bread but it smells disgusting; it smells nothing like bread.

I just read this story.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/187661000-story

My secrets to a pleasant Subway experience:

Go with the wheat bread. It's got a little more toothy substance to it.

Don't order any of the niche specials, stick with cold deli meat.

Use Pepperjack Cheese. The rest of their cheese is pretty bland.

If your sandwich doesn't have bacon, have it added for $1.20/foot.

NEVER get your sub toasted, but have them get the bacon hot from the microwave.

Use spinach instead of lettuce. Their chopped lettuce turns to water.

Banana Peppers add a much needed acidity to a sandwich without the sog of vinegar.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

I just read this story.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/187661000-story

That's sad and sick.

• Like 1

I used to really like it. But some thing has changed. JMO.

Used to love Subway in the late 80s-early 90s. Could be me, could be them, could be both but yeah it seems different.

• Like 1

Banana Peppers add a much needed acidity to a sandwich without the sog of vinegar.

My secret to a pleasant Subway experience:

Get in the car

Drive towards Subway

Drive right past and end up at Ike's: http://ilikeikesplace.com/

• Like 2

In all this I have plumb forgot to mention I worked at a Burger King during the summer and part of the fall of 1970. It was back in today when you could get a Whopper, a small fries ,and a 12 ounce drink, AND get change back from a dollar. It was OK work, and a free lunch, which at the time got me into a serious Whaler addiction. Hey, the food was decent back then, the chain was new, and trying to put a dent in the competition from the Whitey One Bites across the street. The job got cut short when the City of Detroit thought I was hot enough shit to work for them, so I did.

I used to love Burger King back in high school in the late 70s. Great Burgers and it was the go to hang out place for my friends and I. Now the whoppers are just tasteless calorie piles. I can still taste a good burger, so it's not my tastebuds that went south.
  • Like 1

My secret to a pleasant Subway experience:

Get in the car

Drive towards Subway

Drive right past and end up at Ike's: http://ilikeikesplace.com/

We have some really great local joints here. More expensive but damn are they good!!

• Like 2

I used to love Burger King back in high school in the late 70s. Great Burgers and it was the go to hang out place for my friends and I. Now the whoppers are just tasteless calorie piles. I can still taste a good burger, so it's not my tastebuds that went south.

Yeah,

All of the fast food places were better back then. :codger:

• Like 1