TRF True Rankings: Permanent Waves

Natural Scientist in 2112

Alright. This will pretty much be the same thing as JohnnyBlaze's TRF rankings post on Moving Pictures which finished earlier. Just rank each of the songs on Permanent Waves from 1-6, best to worst (though you really can't apply the word "worst" to a Permanent Waves song). And as hard as it might be to rank songs in really good albums, there cannot be any ties.

Each will be tallied and averaged, and the final results will be released in 90 hours.

My rankings:

1. Natural Science (you could probably guess this would be pretty high on my list)

2. Freewill

3. The Spirit Of Radio

4. Jacob's Ladder

5. Entre Nous

6. Different Strings

Feel free to chime in with your own rankings.

Edited by Natural Scientist in 2112
  • Like 6

Natural Science

The Spirit Of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Different Strings

My goodness, that ain't easy.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people are going to go for Natural Science as their #1 song because it's prog epic length multi-section tune, but not me I'm just picking the best songs.

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Freewill

3. Jacob's Ladder

4. Natural Science

5. Entre Nous

6. Different Strings

• Like 3

Alright. This will pretty much be the same thing as JohnnyBlaze's TRF rankings post on Moving Pictures which finished earlier. Just rank each of the songs on Permanent Waves from 1-6, best to worst (though you really can't apply the word "worst" to a Permanent Waves song). And as hard as it might be to rank songs in really good albums, there cannot be any ties.

Each will be tallied and averaged, and the final results will be released in 90 hours.

My rankings:

1. Natural Science (you could probably guess this would be pretty high on my list)

2. Freewill

3. The Spirit Of Radio

4. Jacob's Ladder

5. Entre Nous

6. Different Strings

Thanks for taking this on NS2112 !!

• Like 1

My rankings:

2. Freewill

3. The Spirit Of Radio

4. Jacob's Ladder

5. Entre Nous

6. Different Strings

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Jacob's Ladder

3. Natural Science

4. Freewill

5. Entre Nous

6. Different Strings

The Spirit of Radio

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Natural Science

Freewill

Different Strings

TSoR is a runaway first place, JL, EN, and NS are a three-way tie for second. I love every song on this album; there are no bad ones!

• Like 2

Damn, Permanent Waves is basically perfect too, ranking Moving Pictures was really really hard, this'll be the same. Why do I subject myself to this, gah, the things we do to fanboy...

Permanent Waves

1.The Spirit of Radio

2. Natural Science

3. Freewill

4. Jacob's Ladder

5. Different Strings

6. Entre Nous

1) Natural Science

2) The Spirit of Radio

3) Freewill

4) Jacob's Ladder

5) Entre Nous

6) Different Strings

I know a lot of people are going to go for Natural Science as their #1 song because it's prog epic length multi-section tune, but not me I'm just picking the best songs.

I don't care about all that "prog epic multi piece" labeling stuff. I'm just picking the best songs too...and Natural Science is my #1. And it's my #1 Rush tune of all time to boot!

• Like 3

My rankings:

2. Freewill

3. The Spirit Of Radio

4. Jacob's Ladder

5. Entre Nous

6. Different Strings

Thanks for taking this on NS2112 !!

:yes:

Another perfect Rush album IMHO so unfortunately something's got to be #6.

That's the thing about these albums that are so good front-to-back, like PeW and MP. For example, I'd love to put a song like Jacob's Ladder at #1 because I find it absolutely terrific, but it's hard to when weighing it up against such tracks as Natural Science, Freewill, and TSOR. Just like on MP, I think a song like The Camera Eye could be worthy of the top spot if there weren't songs like Limelight, YYZ, and Red Barchetta in contention.

Moral of the story: Rush are freaking amazeballs.

• Like 4

I don't care about all that "prog epic multi piece" labeling stuff. I'm just picking the best songs too...and Natural Science is my #1. And it's my #1 Rush tune of all time to boot!

:hail:

That's the thing about these albums that are so good front-to-back, like PeW and MP. For example, I'd love to put a song like Jacob's Ladder at #1 because I find it absolutely terrific, but it's hard to when weighing it up against such tracks as Natural Science, Freewill, and TSOR. Just like on MP, I think a song like The Camera Eye could be worthy of the top spot if there weren't songs like Limelight, YYZ, and Red Barchetta in contention.

And this same dilemma would go back to Hemispheres too - another perfect album

• Like 1

At least they were during this period. Hemi >Signals. Pretty much perfect.

• Like 1

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Freewill

3. Different Strings

4. Jacob's Ladder

5. Entre Nous

6. Natural Science

Really surprised that almost everyone else is placing "Different Strings" at #6. I think the song is awesomely beautiful. This is a difficult album to rate though. All six songs are incredible.

• Like 1