Best albums of 2016 so far

pip65

Agree with Haken and Frost* :

http://www.therushfo...20#entry4010866

Gojira's "Magma" is a touch short on content (a few filler tracks, nearly EP length of actual quality songs). Otherwise I like several of those tracks very much. They've managed to polish their sound while staying "heavy".

There's a lot of good albums thus far in 2016, but only a handful of really great albums. Average year in music. Sadly not every album by every band released every year is great. :(

Edited by stoopid

David Bowie - Blackstar

Mamiffer - The World Unseen

Endon - MAMA (actually released in 2014 in their home country Japan but didn't get a worldwide release until this year)

Kayo Dot - Plastic House On Base Of Sky

Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts

Sumac - What One Becomes

Steven Wilson - 4 1/2 (I know it's really an EP but it's still one of my favorite releases of this year)

Tim Hecker - Love Streams

I know for sure that if the year were to end today, What One Becomes and Blackstar are definitely my top 2 favorite albums of the year regardless of genre.

David Bowie - Blackstar

Endon - MAMA (actually released in 2014 in their home country Japan but didn't get a worldwide release until this year)

Sumac - What One Becomes

Steven Wilson - 4 1/2 (I know it's really an EP but it's still one of my favorite releases of this year)

I know for sure that if the year were to end today, What One Becomes and Blackstar are definitely my top 2 favorite albums of the year regardless of genre.

I haven't listened to that Tim Hecker album yet, but I've heard all kinds of good things. How good is it?

I want to give an honroble mention to

In mourning - afterglow

I think several on here would enjoy them, kinda semi like opeth

Vektor-Terminal_Redux.jpg

Taking a wild leap into completely uncharted territory based solely off of the album art. I had a feeling it would be metal but didn't even check ahead of time for confirmation. After track one, not at all my style, but there's something I can follow pretty well about it, so not bad.

Vektor-Terminal_Redux.jpg

I've been meaning to check this out. IDK when I'll get around it, but I've heard wonderful things about this band/album.

Polarize-I-Listen-To-All-Modern-Metal-as-soon-as-it's-released-me, how could you overlook this one? :huh:

Reported.

• Like 3

David Bowie - Blackstar

Sumac - What One Becomes

I haven't listened to that Tim Hecker album yet, but I've heard all kinds of good things. How good is it?

The songs release prior to the release I really liked but when it came to the album as a whole, I was a bit underwhelmed with the first listen. It wasn't until I saw him play the album live (that being one of the most intense shows I've ever seen but in an abstract way) shortly afterwards that it clicked with me. I don't think it'll top Virgins, but it's still a great album.
  • Like 1

Polarize-I-Listen-To-All-Modern-Metal-as-soon-as-it's-released-me, how could you overlook this one? :huh:

Reported.

Clearly I don't listen to metal music as much as I did 4 years ago. These days I seek out music (both modern and otherwise) based on connections (i.e. band A is/was on same label as band B/guy in band A also plays in band B/guy in band A enjoys band B/etc.)

I refuse to add any because I'm way too lazy for that.

I haven't added any...just too disappointed in the current state of the music scene. By the looks of the albums on the lists, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. Sincerely yours, Buzz Kill.

Can safely add Katatonia's "The Fall of Hearts" and the Anderson Stolt collaboration to the best of '16 list. Haken's "Affinity" still in the lead for me though. Anderson Stolt a very close second.
  • Like 1

Cheap Trick - Bang Zoom Crazy... Hello

Pierce The Veil - Misadventures

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Getaway

Blink-182 - California

Good Charlotte - Youth Authority