2016/17 Football thread

Brucey

It's looking increasingly likely that Sam Allardyce will be the next England manager. I think he's the best English manager around at the moment, out of not too many to choose from, and most importantly he doesn't strike as a nice "yes man", he'll do things his way and give some backsides a kicking if necessary.
  • Like 1

Red Bull Salzburg ( Austria ) D-man Andreas Ulmer played the entire second half of today's Champion's League match against FK Lipawa, in RB Leipzig's ( Germany ) jersey. :laughing guy: Edited by blackhawkrush

He's definitely got some potential but my god that's way too much!

Also, looks like N'Golo Kante might be off to Chelsea, which would be a brilliant signing for them but a big blow for Leicester.

• Like 1

Kante apparently turning down 100 Grand a week to stay at Leicester.

I have to say, the amount of money being splashed on transfers and wages is becoming offensive.

Edited by foghorn-leghorn

It is. Apparently Gonzalo Higuain rejected an offer worth £800,000 per week from a Chinese club, which would have made him the highest payed player ever. I could see the Chinese top division overtaking the premier league within the next decade with some of the cash they're willing to splash.

LATEST FIFA WORLD RANKINGS

1 Argentina

2 Belgium

3 Colombia

4 Germany

5 Chile

6 Portugal

7 France

8 Spain

9 Brazil

10 Italy

11 Wales

12 Uruguay

13 England

14 Mexico

15 Croatia

16 Poland

17 Ecuador

18 Switzerland

19 Turkey

20 Hungary

Selected others:

22 Iceland

25 USA

26 Holland

28 Northern Ireland

31 Republic of Ireland

40 Sweden

50 Scotland

59 Australia

Welsh fans must be in dreamland..

Iceland just outside the top 20.

Celtic become first British club to introduce safe-standing after completing construction ahead of Brendan Rodgers' first home game

• Celtic Park is the first ground in Britain to have a safe standing area
  • Work finished on area of ground that will house 2,600 standing fans
  • Scottish champions were granted a safe-standing licence 12 months ago

Work has been completed on the area that will house 2,600 standing supporters at Celtic Park this season.

The Scottish champions were granted a safe-standing licence 12 months ago, after two previous applications to Glasgow City Council had been rejected.

Celtic were engaged in talks with relevant authorities for more than five years, before the initiative was finally given the go-ahead last June.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/14/11/364361D400000578-3690004-image-a-8_1468493704498.jpg

+7

Celtic Park is officially the first football ground in Britain to have incorporated a safe standing area

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/14/11/3643612E00000578-3690004-image-m-18_1468493861471.jpg

+7

Work has been completed on an area of ground that will house 2,600 standing fans with rail seating

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/14/11/3644429300000578-3690004-image-a-11_1468493728938.jpg

+7

Celtic supporters have plenty to be excited about next season, no matter how they choose to watch the action

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/14/12/364426B700000578-3690004-image-a-21_1468494893066.jpg

And the club have taken to social media to announce that Celtic Park is now officially the first ground in Britain to have a safe standing area.

'Finishing touches on the new Rail Seating section. We look forward to welcoming you all here on Saturday for Brendan Rodgers' first game at Paradise!' they wrote alongside a collection of photos of the new and improved section of the stadium.

FSF's safe standing campaign coordinator Peter Daykin said: 'Celtic deserve praise for being brave enough to pursue this and for listening to its fans.'

The modified section, which cost the club an estimated £500,000, will represent only a small part of a ground which has room for more than 60,000 fans.

Rodgers will be hoping it adds to the atmosphere as his team bid to makes amends for their highly disappointing 1-0 defeat to Lincoln Red Imps in the first leg of their Champions League qualifier.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/14/11/3643612400000578-3690004-image-a-13_1468493747748.jpg

+7

The modified section, which cost the club an estimated £500,000, represents only a small part of a ground

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/14/11/364361BC00000578-3690004-image-a-15_1468493763146.jpg

+7

The build represents a significant development in British football after long-term resistance to standing

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/14/11/3643614400000578-3690004-image-m-17_1468493786613.jpg

+7

The second leg takes place at Celitc Park on Wednesday and will represent a significant development in British football, given the long-term resistance to any reintroduction of standing by the game's key decision makers.

Rail seating is particularly common in Germany's Bundesliga, most notably at Borussia Dortmund's Westfalenstadion, one of the few grounds in Europe with a reputation on par with Celtic Park for its intensity and atmosphere.

Standing was outlawed in English football stadiums after the 1990 publication of the Taylor Report, commissioned following the Hillsborough Stadium disaster one year earlier.

But the Football Supporters' Federation have been championing the idea of safe-standing since 2002 - and if the concept works successfully in Scotland then the voices asking for its introduction in south of the border will surely only grow louder.

The dickheads on Glasgow Council have tried hard to stop Celtic doing this, simply because the " New Rangers" can`t afford to do the same . I`m amazed they allowed us to install our award winning WIFI setup.

We take on Wolfsburg in Glasgow on Saturday. Tough match, but there better be an improvement on our last shambolic outing.

• Like 1

Excellent news I think, hopefully other clubs including my own follow suit.

Now would be a great time to lobby the government on this issue.

It`s not as if the Premier league clubs can`t afford it.

Celtic get just 2 Million from TV rights, but this is about the fans, the most vital part of any club.

Arsenal target Gonzalo Higuain reported to have turned down £800,000 move to to the Far East.. fingers crossed then for The Gunners. Robert Lewandowski and Antoine Griezman would fit in at the Emirates as well i'm sure.

Riyad Mahrez is apparently going to reject Leicester's new contract offer. If they lose him and Kante that's them in a spot of bother. When I say bother, I don't quite mean a relegation scrap, but I can't see them reaching the heights of last season.
  • Like 1

Celtic hold out for the victory.

I agree, too much should not be read into friendly results.

It was however, important for Rogers to win his first home game, especially after last week's debacle.

It calms the fans a bit, as they crave European football.

Very young side put out by Roger's today, and they did very well.

Even Ambrose had a good game. Roll on Wednesday.

• Like 1

13-time champion Wisla Cracow begins the 2016-17 campaign with a 2-1 win at home. Malecki and Brozek started things rolling with an early goal. After that, Miskiewicz and the men in front of him with horrible mistakes and we're tied. The hero of the day turned out to be the sub Pietrzak, converting a free kick into the decider. :cheers:

A surprisingly easy 5-1 victory for Cracovia Cracow against the runner-up from last season. Even Kapustka didn't have to play more than 20 minutes. :atickhum: The city has 2 winning teams so far...