2016/17 Football thread

Brucey

Oh dear, the heat has got to the manager......

"It was probably the longest 90 mins I've faced as a coach. I thought Beer Sheva were outstanding, they had nothing to lose.

But I have to congratulate my players because all the work we've been doing in pre-season is based around that mentality.

Tonight was about resilience. it was an amazing effort from the players on the back of what they've been through before.

"I'm immensely proud." :16ton:

That"s not what Pep would have said. I hope he actually tore into them behind closed doors.

Despite the new rules that give the big 4 countries even more of the money( Disgusting) Celtic will still pocket Millions .

3.5 Million just for getting through the qualifiers. To put that into perspective, we get 2 Million a year from TV rights in a normal season.

Now it's another 10 Million for getting into the group stages, 7 million from 3 home sellouts, plus a chunk of some other pool of money.

We also made 250,000 for all the other teams in the SPL. That"s a lot of money for some Scottish clubs.

If we get our act together, and actually win a couple of the home games, then that"s another few million on top.

Peanuts to those clubs drowning in money, but vital for us if we are to mount any sort of a challenge.

Uefa really should be ashamed of themselves over these new changes brought in.

Now the top 4 teams in the 4 "Big Countries" will waltz straight into the group stages.

It's simply not right that teams like Spurs who finished fourth or Shalke, who have NEVER won the league can be given an automatic place

in the group stages.

. And no disrespect to Leicester, but to see them in pot 1 for the draw seems farcical.

I wonder how long UEFA will allow these "freak" champions to take part over the more established "Giants" like

Man Utd and Chelsea. Especially if it all goes wrong, and they get knocked out before the last 16.

Oh and please change the name of the tournament to anything but the "Champions League"

Rant over, still in Grumpy mode at the moment.

Edited by foghorn-leghorn

There was no coverage on the net tonight for the Chelsea game.

All Chelsea TV offered was commentary but no picture.

That"s a terrible way to treat your fans around the world.

I can at least console myself with the fact that my club puts the fans first at all times.

God I'm in a right mood. Note to self.. "Snap out of it"

I don't know the exact rules, but channels such as that (and Man Utd TV, Liverpool TV etc) are prohibited from showing live match footage I think. I knew that was definitely the case for premier league games, but I wasn't so sure about cup games, I guess this confirms it.

Shocking if that's the case.

All Celtic matches are on Celtic TV.

Even the under 21's.

The Internet is the only place for fans like me living abroad to see Celtic.

131 quid a year for ALL matches, and the replay transmissions, plus other great content.

I for one would be lost without it.

The coverage is superb and the commentators are hilarious. :D

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if a "Hull City TV" channel existed, but then I think that it's probably a good thing that their isn't one, because I would be obsessed with it. The youtube channel will do for me!

It will come if the Chinese take over.

We have a deal with ChineseTV and all our matches are now being shown there.

We also have a Chinese language website.

We have coaching schools there also up and running.

When we had Nakamura in the side, we sold 750,000 Celtic videos in Japan.

check out his goal here in the derby....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5XsLLIb0U

Edited by foghorn-leghorn
  • Like 1

I remember Nakamura, I always thought he was very exciting when I saw him, it's a wonder his career didn't take off a bit more, I think.

I would hazard a guess that's one of your favourite Celtic goals?

"Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink" must be one of the great football names! He was here for a season, but I think he was a little passed it then. We all remember him fondly though just for the chants that went with his name!

I've gotten used to the site of McGregor saving penalties! I don't rate him at much else though :|

• Like 1

My favourite Celtic player would have to be the " Lord of the Wing" himself Jinky Johnstone.

Pure entertainment and brave as a lion.

Danny McGrain is a close second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm6-pf5Fhtk

Must turn in . Speak to you tomorrow mate,

ps. looking forward to all the laughable media speculation tomorrow on who we may now go after.

• Like 1

Adama Diomande. Like Maloney, he struggled with injuries last season, so when he was fit he was mainly restricted to substitute appearances. The departure of Diame and lack of signings this season has given those two a chance, and I've been impressed with what I've seen so far!
  • Like 1