• Please log in to reply
1300 replies to this topic

#1 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 8979 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

Premier League, Serie A, the San Marino division whatever, discuss it here!

Sponsored Post

#2 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22964 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:38 PM

Well done creating this thread, Brucey! I don't follow the top leagues all that much, but World Cup qualifiers are coming up soon. I will be here often. :cheers:

#3 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 8979 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

So it looks like we will see a world record transfer fee in this summer window, Paul Pogba's being strongly linked with a move to Man Utd for £100 million pounds. Could perhaps end world hunger with that but who cares, Man U need goals and creativity from midfield and he fits the bill, that's more important!

#4 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22964 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

View PostBrucey, on 09 July 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

So it looks like we will see a world record transfer fee in this summer window, Paul Pogba's being strongly linked with a move to Man Utd for £100 million pounds. Could perhaps end world hunger with that but who cares, Man U need goals and creativity from midfield and he fits the bill, that's more important!
This is the kind of stuff I meant in my first post, when I said I don't pay attention to the movers and shakers in football. I bet there are countries in Europe where the entire ensemble of first division teams combined don't have 100 million, which means they have no chance to compete with squads from England, Germany, Spain and France. Champions League is a big yawner to me. Watching the same usual suspects going for top honors year after year is not my definition of fun.

#5 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 8979 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:32 PM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 09 July 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

This is the kind of stuff I meant in my first post, when I said I don't pay attention to the movers and shakers in football. I bet there are countries in Europe where the entire ensemble of first division teams combined don't have 100 million, which means they have no chance to compete with squads from England, Germany, Spain and France. Champions League is a big yawner to me. Watching the same usual suspects going for top honors year after year is not my definition of fun.

Leicester in the Champions League could be interesting, though.

#6 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22964 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:56 PM

View PostBrucey, on 09 July 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

Yes, but even with that, they stack the CL with teams from the nations I mentioned above. In some cases, they let the 3rd or 4th place finishers get in on the 'fun.' I think the old days were better, when only the national champions were allowed to participate in the Cup of Europe. At least you gave a team from Romania or Russia a fighting chance. The way it's set up now, you're guaranteed one of the top four countries will celebrate in the end. Even the Italians can't keep up anymore. I know you're interested in all of this, because you live in one of the countries in question, but I'm sure you can see where the rest of the continent is coming from.

#7 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 8979 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:12 AM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 09 July 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

Yes, but even with that, they stack the CL with teams from the nations I mentioned above. In some cases, they let the 3rd or 4th place finishers get in on the 'fun.' I think the old days were better, when only the national champions were allowed to participate in the Cup of Europe. At least you gave a team from Romania or Russia a fighting chance. The way it's set up now, you're guaranteed one of the top four countries will celebrate in the end. Even the Italians can't keep up anymore. I know you're interested in all of this, because you live in one of the countries in question, but I'm sure you can see where the rest of the continent is coming from.

Yep I get it, but I still think Leicester will cause one or two surprises in the competition and make it much more interesting for the global audience for this season at least.

#8 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22964 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostBrucey, on 10 July 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 09 July 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

Yep I get it, but I still think Leicester will cause one or two surprises in the competition and make it much more interesting for the global audience for this season at least.
I hope you're right. This competition needs an underdog to win it all.

#9 foghorn-leghorn

foghorn-leghorn

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5887 posts
  • Interests:Music

Reading

Sport

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:06 PM

Celtic continue to be European "also rans".

They  start their CPL qualifiers tomorrow   after a decent few warm up matches.

Let's hope Brendan Rogers can undo the damage done by Ronnie D's  brief tenure.

Looking forward to the " International Champions Cup" which will see Celtic take on

Leicester, AC Milan and Barcelona in the group stages.

Competition runs from July 23 to August 13. Many of the games are in the US.

http://www.internati...4vzYTJodXehj.97

#10 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 8979 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

View Postfoghorn-leghorn, on 11 July 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

Celtic continue to be European "also rans".

They  start their CPL qualifiers tomorrow   after a decent few warm up matches.

Let's hope Brendan Rogers can undo the damage done by Ronnie D's  brief tenure.

Looking forward to the " International Champions Cup" which will see Celtic take on

Leicester, AC Milan and Barcelona in the group stages.

Competition runs from July 23 to August 13. Many of the games are in the US.

http://www.internati...4vzYTJodXehj.97

I bet Leicester fans are giddy about taking part in these friendly competitions that are normally reserved for the "big" teams!

#11 foghorn-leghorn

foghorn-leghorn

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5887 posts

Reading

Sport

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:17 PM

They deserve it . The game at Celtic Park will have a cracking atmosphere.

The competition is being televised, which is great news.

#12 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22964 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:32 PM

View Postfoghorn-leghorn, on 11 July 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

They deserve it . The game at Celtic Park will have a cracking atmosphere.

The competition is being televised, which is great news.
Thanks for the info, FL. I didn't know what I was going to do with myself tomorrow. :cheers:

#13 foghorn-leghorn

foghorn-leghorn

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5887 posts

Reading

Sport

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

10 minutes in and Celtic are still being held by the mighty Lincoln Red Imps in the first round
of CPL qualifiers.

#14 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22964 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:48 PM

View Postfoghorn-leghorn, on 12 July 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

10 minutes in and Celtic are still being held by the mighty Lincoln Red Imps in the first round
of CPL qualifiers.
Celtic very ordinary in the first half. Perhaps going back to the all-familiar stripes, instead of looking like a New Zealand rugby team would help. :P

#15 foghorn-leghorn

foghorn-leghorn

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5887 posts

Reading

Sport

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

Dreadful First Half.

Hopefully  the Imps will tire in the second half.

Need Roberts or McGregor on to stretch the defense.

That`s the away strip the team are wearing.

The famous hoops will be back for the second leg.

#16 foghorn-leghorn

foghorn-leghorn

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5887 posts

Reading

Sport

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

Well look at that....

1 Nil to the Imps. :facepalm:

Hopefully that will wake the Celts from their coma.

#17 foghorn-leghorn

foghorn-leghorn

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5887 posts

Reading

Sport

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

Celtic make a couple of changes.

On comes Forrest and Armstrong,  off go Christie and Rogic.

#18 foghorn-leghorn

foghorn-leghorn

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5887 posts

Reading

Sport

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

It finishes 1 Nil to the Imps.

The club can trot out all the excuses in the world, but that was a humiliating defeat.

Having said that, I have little doubt ( Gulp) we will turn the tie round in the second leg.

Sob.

#19 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 22964 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:57 PM

What a start to the 2016-17 club play in Europe. Disaster for Celtic. My goodness, these guys didn't even have names on the back of their jerseys. :lol:  We may have to put Rod Stewart on suicide watch. And Lincoln should make a shrine out of that left side crossbar.

#20 foghorn-leghorn

foghorn-leghorn

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5887 posts

Reading

Sport

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:22 PM

It will be a catastrophe   if they can`t  turn it around in the second leg.

The club desperately needs the money from qualifying for the CPL group stages
to have any chance of competing.

Rod will be under sedation after that nightmare, and I will too if they don`t get
their act together next week

Edited by foghorn-leghorn, 12 July 2016 - 03:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users