What Was The First Band To Get you Into Rock/Metal/Etc?

Rock and Metal is two very different genres. But Im gonna tell you my Rock-story.

I was a little kid, and was just listening to kid-music (I mean REAL kid music) and then I was sitting in the car, and I just happened to listen to a Queen song called Dragon Attack. But what I did not know was that it was a cover album with only Queen song.

220px-Dragon_attack.jpg

And then my dad told me to listen to real Queen, so he gave me their first Greatest Hits album. And I was stuck for years, I loved it! And Queen was the first real music I was listening to. And it was the ONLY music I listened to until I discovered Rush in 2011. I refused to listen to anything else.

Now when I have discovered Rush I listen to a lot of other things thou. I have discovered LOTS of music in a short period of time.

• Like 5

Rock? Hard to say. Probably Barry Manilow or the Grease soundtrack.

I love the soundtrack to both Grease and Grease 2!

Nirvana got me interested...a few other bands played a part in getting my mind open to rock but..

It was a quintuple attack of these five bands:

Funeral For A Friend

HIM

Within Temptation

Lacuna Coil

Nightwish

All in one month!

Changed me forever.

• Like 2

I'd have to say Quiet Riot. Summer of 1983, I went absolutely mental over "Cum On Feel the Noize." My mom bought me the 45rpm, which I repeatedly played on my Fisher Price record player. I had to watch the entire video each time it aired on MTV. One night I heard my parents up late making popcorn and I could hear the video playing on the TV, and I threw an absolute temper tantrum until they allowed me to run downstairs and catch the end of it.

I was six years old. I became a metalhead at six years old. I've never actually sat down and appreciated this until now.

• Like 6

Kiss Alive! Thought Strutter, 100,000 Years, Black Diamond were about the coolest things I'd ever heard. Before that it had been Three Dog Night, Elton John, Simon and Garfunkel. Kiss pointed me to Zeppelin, Rush, Aerosmith, etc. I never went full Satan, but I was pretty much a straight hard rock guy until punk came along (early '80s "post punk" really). Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 4