RUSH - The Spirit of Radio (cover) 14yr old drummer

Just uploaded a video of "The Spirit of Radio" we took from our rehearsal last week. Did the whole multi-camera thing with a GoPro and iPhones. I'm on guitar and vocals.

My bassist buddy Rick and I have been jamming with my 14yr old son Ryan to try and give him some real-world experience of playing with actual PEOPLE in a band situation. He really acquits himself admirably (IMHO). My buddy Rick does as well as he "claims" to never have heard the song before I asked him to learn it. He's not a RUSH guy… ?!?!?! right?

Funny anecdote, when I suggested we learn the song, I really didn't think it through. Singing the choruses while playing that running pull-off guitar riff was a real bear to get down.

Anyway, it's not note-for-note accurate but we just do it for fun. Hope you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HvlUv8DoiQ

Edited by RobK
  • Like 3

Just uploaded a video of "The Spirit of Radio" we took from our rehearsal last week. Did the whole multi-camera thing with a GoPro and iPhones. I'm on guitar and vocals.

My bassist buddy Rick and I have been jamming with my 14yr old son Ryan to try and give him some real-world experience of playing with actual PEOPLE in a band situation. He really acquits himself admirably (IMHO). My buddy Rick does as well as he "claims" to never have heard the song before I asked him to learn it. He's not a RUSH guy… ?!?!?! right?

Funny anecdote, when I suggested we learn the song, I really didn't think it through. Singing the choruses while playing that running pull-off guitar riff was a real bear to get down.

Anyway, it's not note-for-note accurate but we just do it for fun. Hope you guys like it.

Take the "S" out of the URL and the video will embed.

• Like 1

Tried. Doesn't seem to do it. But thanks.

If you delete the URL and start again and then remove the S before you save it it should be ok.

Already tried that too.

If you delete the URL and start again and then remove the S before you save it it should be ok.

OK, I got it. I need to remove the "s" AND manually add the BBcode for the media tag (for some reason). Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

You've got a good voice, Rob. Your guitar playing is a bit sloppy (mine too), but given how challenging the piece is, some sloppiness can be forgiven. :)
  • Like 1

You've got a good voice, Rob. Your guitar playing is a bit sloppy (mine too), but given how challenging the piece is, some sloppiness can be forgiven. :)

Thanks! Agreed. I really could have put a lot more work into getting it down and comfortable, but in the context of what we're doing I was like "meh, good enough." If the kid does a good take and Rick or I don't majorly screw up, out it goes. :)

• Like 1

Thanks! Agreed. I really could have put a lot more work into getting it down and comfortable, but in the context of what we're doing I was like "meh, good enough." If the kid does a good take and Rick or I don't majorly screw up, out it goes. :)

I started playing drums when I was 13. I'm 48 now and yor son is still better than I am :laughing guy:

I did break my back and leg, but I sucked before that, so...

It's cool you play with your kid. I hate the word envy as it sounds petty, but it's all I can think of.I never had kids and would have loved sharing music with them the way my father did with their terrible 50s music :)

Good for you bud. That's not something you see much of right now.

• Like 1

I started playing drums when I was 13. I'm 48 now and yor son is still better than I am :laughing guy:

I did break my back and leg, but I sucked before that, so...

It's cool you play with your kid. I hate the word envy as it sounds petty, but it's all I can think of.I never had kids and would have loved sharing music with them the way my father did with their terrible 50s music :)

Good for you bud. That's not something you see much of right now.

It's all good. We all have our stuff to bear. I unfortunately had NO relationship with my Dad. For me and my younger brother growing up it was like we had an older brother 24yrs older than us. Everything was a competition and an opportunity to put us down and kick our asses (which didn't change until we were like 16+yrs old and stood a chance… and got bigger than him). He was like Chet from the movie "Weird Science". When my wife was pregnant with our first child (Ryan the drummer) I had an epiphany that I would NEVER make my kids feel as if they we're in competition with me. The ONLY REASON my father is still in my life is I didn't want to deprive him of seeing his grandkids. Grandparents spoil their grandchildren, and he does. My children have never experienced the shitbag I grew up with (for the most part).

Edited by RobK
  • Like 1

Already tried that too.

Is this hard to play? It seems to drag a bit.

What about another cover?

http://www.everythingkiss.com/Hello%20Kitty/files/bed_hk-mexico1.jpg

Already tried that too.

It's the least hard for me I think. Considering Ryan is 14 and the bass player isn't a RUSH fan we may have played it slow, we definitely did those intro runs slower for sure… absolutely. The Spirit of Radio has actual meter changes as well… which is "odd" for most music that isn't prog. :)

We did it live so I defer to your analysis.

Already tried that too.

What about another cover?

http://www.everythingkiss.com/Hello%20Kitty/files/bed_hk-mexico1.jpg

Oooh KISS, totally! We do have another cover up. "Lights" by Journey. On the same Youtube channel.

It must be very hard for someone who isn't a fan of the music to take part in this. Your bass player is to be commended for doing it.

Thanks. I absolutely give him a lot of credit. I almost crapped my pants when he said he'd never heard "Limelight" or "The Spirit of Radio"… ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!?! (there's vids of both on my channel)

He's donating his time to jam with my kid and me, and he really stepped up to learn the RUSH. He's not the best bassist in the world, but he gives 110% and that is huge in my book.

• Like 1

It must be very hard for someone who isn't a fan of the music to take part in this. Your bass player is to be commended for doing it.

Thanks. I absolutely give him a lot of credit. I almost crapped my pants when he said he'd never heard "Limelight" or "The Spirit of Radio"… ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!?! (there's vids of both on my channel)

He's donating his time to jam with my kid and me, and he really stepped up to learn the RUSH. He's not the best bassist in the world, but he gives 110% and that is huge in my book.

It says a lot about him as a human being. You're fortunate to have someone like that as a friend.

• Like 1