Sometimes, Rush just seems too special for us.

fraroc

It really seems like sometimes as a band, Rush just seems way too special for us. The fact that they've been able to do 70s hard rock, prog rock, arena rock, new wave, AOR/pop rock, grunge, and heavy metal and still remain relevant in the public eye put aside....Sometimes I feel like the messages in their music is just something that is way beyond our understanding, like they're trying to tell us something, but either we choose not to listen, or we simply cannot comprehend it.

For example, did Rush really intend for their fans to have insane debates and fights over The Trees and what the song truly means? Did Geddy, Alex, and Neil really want instability amongst their fan base? I really don't think so. In fact, I think that it's the opposite of what they wanted their fans to do....

I know I'm rambling....but sometimes, I feel like we're not doing what was intended for us to do. We're not sitting back, chilling out and enjoying the music like we should.

Sometimes, I feel like Natural Science, especially the opening part was written about us and is a message to us fans...

When the ebbing tide retreats

Along the rocky shoreline

It leaves a trail of tidal pools

In a short lived galaxy

Each microcosmic planet

A complete society

A simple kind of mirror

To reflect upon our own

All the busy little creatures

Chasing out their destinies

Living in their pools

They soon forget about the sea

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 6

"What a treacherous thing it is to believe that a [band] is more than a [band]."

John Green (sorta)

• Like 2

I think much of what songs - and even more, the bands that create those songs - mean to us is brought in by us, the fan ..

The musicians create a stage for our lives, and we have these experiences that involve the songs, the bands, the concerts, etc

With my favorites bands, I have never been an innocent bystander

and btw - Fraroc, you are the most underrated member here - a great topic

• Like 1

Musicians make music for themselves, what they like, and if other people like it that's great. With Rush we were very lucky that they made so much music that was loved by a large number of fans. Neil's lyrics have always been a bit unique and different (not always good according to some) but he's always stayed true to his beliefs regardless of what anyone else might think.
  • Like 3

I wonder if someone is hitting the bottle or maybe the bong this evening? At any rate, Rush is no more special than any other band, they just happen to be your favorite band, seemingly. Lots of bands have similar music and certainly similar abilities. There are bands with thoughtful or timely lyrics too.
  • Like 4

I wonder if someone is hitting the bottle or maybe the bong this evening? At any rate, Rush is no more special than any other band, they just happen to be your favorite band, seemingly. Lots of bands have similar music and certainly similar abilities. There are bands with thoughtful or timely lyrics too.

Sending a cyberhug your way

• Like 1

Quit it, you uphill gardener. :P

• Like 1

Lol I might be all shades of fabulous but I'm not one of them.

*skips to the hair salon*

• Like 1

It really seems like sometimes as a band, Rush just seems way too special for us. The fact that they've been able to do 70s hard rock, prog rock, arena rock, new wave, AOR/pop rock, grunge, and heavy metal and still remain relevant in the public eye put aside....Sometimes I feel like the messages in their music is just something that is way beyond our understanding, like they're trying to tell us something, but either we choose not to listen, or we simply cannot comprehend it.

For example, did Rush really intend for their fans to have insane debates and fights over The Trees and what the song truly means? Did Geddy, Alex, and Neil really want instability amongst their fan base? I really don't think so. In fact, I think that it's the opposite of what they wanted their fans to do....

I know I'm rambling....but sometimes, I feel like we're not doing what was intended for us to do. We're not sitting back, chilling out and enjoying the music like we should.

Sometimes, I feel like Natural Science, especially the opening part was written about us and is a message to us fans...

When the ebbing tide retreats

Along the rocky shoreline

It leaves a trail of tidal pools

In a short lived galaxy

Each microcosmic planet

A complete society

A simple kind of mirror

To reflect upon our own

All the busy little creatures

Chasing out their destinies

Living in their pools

They soon forget about the sea

What an adorable post! I'm gushing over Rush and over this text! :yes:

You are right when you say they do have a message to us and it's beyond our understanding.

About the posted Natural Science quote: to me the masse is about living immersed in life and forgetting about what's general and bigger on this planet, in terms of society or being part of a whole. A lot to do as a part in the planet and how it affects others.

Edited by rhyv

Rush is special, and there is a chemistry and vibe within the band that has tapped into something we don't even realize ..

Geddy and Alex have a very special bond, the addition of Neil and the circumstances involved, the subsequent touring and near failure of the band makes their story unique .. and not just to us, but in rock history

This isn't Toto we're talking about - this is not a band of studio musicians put together like Meneudo

This RUSH

mother*******

• Like 4

Rush is special, and there is a chemistry and vibe within the band that has tapped into something we don't even realize ..

Geddy and Alex have a very special bond, the addition of Neil and the circumstances involved, the subsequent touring and near failure of the band makes their story unique .. and not just to us, but in rock history

This isn't Toto we're talking about - this is not a band of studio musicians put together like Meneudo

This RUSH

mother*******

Nightwish are better.

This RUSH

mother*******

Nightwish are better.

Than Toto ??

yes, definitely !!!

• Like 3

This RUSH

mother*******

Nightwish are better.

Than Toto ??

yes, definitely !!!

Nightwish are better than Rush and Toto.

I SAID IT!! I SAID IT!!

• Like 1

This RUSH

mother*******

Nightwish are better.

Than Toto ??

yes, definitely !!!

I SAID IT!! I SAID IT!!

tumblr_napuzzX97V1s01qkyo1_r2_500.gif

• Like 2

This RUSH

mother*******

Nightwish are better.

Than Toto ??

yes, definitely !!!

I SAID IT!! I SAID IT!!

tumblr_napuzzX97V1s01qkyo1_r2_500.gif

I'd be angry too if that was my haircut

• Like 1

sometimes I feel like the messages in their music is just something that is way beyond our understanding, like they're trying to tell us something, but either we choose not to listen, or we simply cannot comprehend it.

Oh please...Neil Peart has less years ahead of him and more years behind him, be nice to Lt. Commander Data, don't be racist to aliens.

That's it pretty simple.

;)

They are special. Certainly more special than bands like Dokken, Cheap Trick or Crötley Mü, but not Queensrÿche...they are only marginally better than Queensrÿche.

They are special. Certainly more special than bands like Dokken, Cheap Trick or Crötley Mü, but not Queensrÿche...they are only marginally better than Queensrÿche.

Don't forget ABBA.

The blasphemy in this thread has my nerd rage boiling....

However this thread and hanging with a new friend last week has me thinking....

Rush are very special to me.... However when a stranger you're getting to know asks what kind of music you're into and you top the 3 favorite bands with Rush...... How does one respond to "Oh I think I've heard of them, they seem pretty cool"

I smugly grinned and almost broke out the Cygnus Duology before realizing she's probably a "mainstream" Rush fan and the song would be drowned out by laughter..... :(

This RUSH

mother*******

Oh. No. You. Didn't. Toto made themselves. Toto's music is just as special as Rush's at times. At least they disnt turn into cartoons. Coughkisscough.

• Like 1

The blasphemy in this thread has my nerd rage boiling....

However this thread and hanging with a new friend last week has me thinking....

Rush are very special to me.... However when a stranger you're getting to know asks what kind of music you're into and you top the 3 favorite bands with Rush...... How does one respond to "Oh I think I've heard of them, they seem pretty cool"

I smugly grinned and almost broke out the Cygnus Duology before realizing she's probably a "mainstream" Rush fan and the song would be drowned out by laughter..... :(

I cant pretent a stranger is a long awaited friend.

• Like 1

not to me, lol

Mick

That was my first thought.

Let me clarify this. In the grand scheme of my life at this point of my existence, there are more important things. However, when I was young, I may very well have thought the same.

Edited by Lorraine

Ford, how come you ditched Polly?