RIP, Pat Summitt, 64...

Alzheimer's is a cruel, cruel disease.

:rose:

http://www.chicagotr...0628-story.html

Pat Summitt, the winningest coach in Division I college basketball history who helped boost the women's game to the big time in a 38-year career at Tennessee, has died at 64.

Her son, Tyler Summitt, issued a statement Tuesday morning saying his mother died peacefully at Sherrill Hill Senior Living in Knoxville surrounded by those who loved her most.

Tyler's statement said "since 2011, my mother has battled her toughest opponent, early onset dementia, 'Alzheimer's Type' ... and we can all find peace in knowing she no longer carries the heavy burden of this disease. "

With an icy glare on the sidelines, Summitt led the Lady Vols to eight national championships and prominence on a campus steeped in the traditions of the football-rich south until she retired in 2012. Summitt stepped down as Tennessee's coach one year after announcing her diagnosis of early onset dementia, Alzheimer's type. She went 1,098-208 with eight national titles. She has the most career wins of any Division I men's or women's basketball coach.

Summitt's family said Sunday that the last few days had been difficult for her as her Alzheimer's disease progressed.

Amid reports of Summitt's failing health, her family issued a statement asking for prayers. It also asked for privacy. The statement was posted on the Pat Summitt Foundation's website and was issued by Erin Freeman, a spokeswoman for the Summitt family.

Edited by laughedatbytime

What a sad day in sports. We've lost one of the great coaches, today. I'm definitely shocked by the headline this morning. f***ing Alzheimer's is as bad or worse than cancer. It jumped on her and obviously brought her down fast.

I wish the family peace and comfort in the upcoming days.

• Like 1

RIP to a very successful and courageous Pat Summitt .. very tragic

In regards to Alzheimer's - for what it is worth:

A few years back I was undergoing IV treatment for lyme disease - it was done by a integrative doc 2x per week in an IV room at his office .... When I began treatments, there was a couple in their 60s there - the husband was unable to function on his own and had been written off by doctors with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's .. His wife was there at his side each time, and he was receiving chelation IVs for what our integrative doc had diagnosed as mercury toxicity, due in large part to the silver fillings in his teeth ( which he had since had removed )

My IVs something took a few hours, and I would pass the time chatting with people .. As time went by, there were significant improvements with this guy .. I can even recall the day he starting participating in the conversations ..

To make a short story long, over the course of about a year he made a complete recovery ... He'd been getting the treatment for a few months before I even met him, so I have no idea how bad he was at the beginning, as he was in bad shape when I first saw him ..... I didn't want to pry too much, as I think there was more to his treatment than just chelation IVs, but with that said, there are people who have beat this ..

Edited by Lucas

I coached HS girls basketball for ten years and watched a lot of Tennessee Vols ball during that time. Summit really grew the women's game and her teams inspired generations of young women to pursue their basketball dreams.

I remember when it came time for us to get new uniforms...we got them in Tennessee orange. That started a run that took us to the state finals, where we lost in double overtime. :)

RIP, Pat.

• Like 3