Should I Stop Making Art?

Permanent-Rush

13 members have voted

1. 1. should I stop my art

• f**k yes
    • f**k no
    • please stop
    • Your art sucks

I feel like no one likes my art. I think it is crap and I want your opinion. Should I stop? I know my art is bad because I get C's on all of art in school and I can not draw everything.

Ex:

http://pre10.deviantart.net/4f72/th/pre/i/2016/160/a/e/alex_lifeson_rush_sketch_by_surrender74-da5o3i6.jpg

That is how bad it is.

Edited by Surrender74
  • Like 1

Don't let criticism bother you. You should drive yourself to work hard and keep at your art. Slave away at a piece, really work and practice. Even if after hours you crumble it up and toss it, it's still experience that helps you get better. All I can say is practice practice practice.
  • Like 5

Don't let criticism bother you. You should drive yourself to work hard and keep at your art. Slave away at a piece, really work and practice. Even if after hours you crumble it up and toss it, it's still experience that helps you get better. All I can say is practice practice practice.

:)

74, as a professional artist, my best advice to you if you seek to improve is to just keep working. The surefire way to stop improving is to stop creating; if you continue to create, you at least afford yourself the opportunity to learn and develop your skills regardless of whether you're always satisfied with the results. Successful art requires significant tenacity and personal investment. If you're willing to devote time and effort, there's much that can be accomplished. :)
  • Like 10

You should not care so much about what other think. If you self like it, then that is all that matters. And like the other before saying: Just keep practice and you will get better. Do not give up all the time!
  • Like 2

It's the same as drumming - if you want to get better at it you've got to practice and no one's going to want to listen to you drum at first when you're just randomly banging on every drum and cymbal you can find but when you get better and learn how to do it properly people will want to you listen to which is just like how it is with art :)

Also don't be put of by grades since in my personal experience they have hardly any relation to artistic ability at all and if they do it's all subjective anyway.

Edited by LittleRushmonkey
  • Like 2

The most important thing is to do things in life which make you happy, and try not to think too much about what other people think of the end result. If making art makes you happy, then make art, if making music makes you happy then make music, if reading books makes you happy then read books.

So no, don't stop doing the art if you love doing it. Today you might feel like your art is "crap" (your words, not mine), but you'll never 'beat' that feeling and produce art that you like by quitting.

• Like 3

The most important thing is to do things in life which make you happy, and try not to think too much about what other people think of the end result. If making art makes you happy, then make art, if making music makes you happy then make music, if reading books makes you happy then read books.

So no, don't stop doing the art if you love doing it. Today you might feel like your art is "crap" (your words, not mine), but you'll never 'beat' that feeling and produce art that you like by quitting.

This in bold is key, it's what I stress to everyone and what I really should do more of myself, but it's surprisingly difficult!

Take some classes. You'll get immediate feedback and encouragement. It doesn't have to be drawing, it can be any kind of art class. Learning something new is always fun and exciting and the best way to spur you on to be more creative.
  • Like 2

Stop ??

Are you kidding ?

YOU ARE JUST GETTING STARTED

You are an artist whether you are drawing or not - so you may as well keep drawing

The world would be a very bleak place if every artist gave up creating -

• Like 3

Never give up!

I did and I lost all my skills over time.

I gave up because I went from being top of the class to being surrounded by boastful kids who put me down.

I had a friend yesterday crying to me because her art is put down and I said the same thing: NEVER GIVE UP. Please yourself first with art!

I do a lot of cooking now so my creativity goes there (and boy have I made some messes!).

I think you are awesome. Work on the aspects you don't like...work on the aspects you do like...

Win win!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

It's the same as drumming - if you want to get better at it you've got to practice and no one's going to want to listen to you drum at first when you're just randomly banging on every drum and cymbal you can find but when you get better and learn how to do it properly..

Many people would like to excel at something, but few truly want it bad enough to put in the real work of getting better. In drumming. It's a matter of grinding out the rudimentary patterns over and over till they become automatic. With drawing, there are some basic techniques that have to be practiced until mastered. Artistry comes in making choices around what to include and leave out. If you haven't mastered basic skills, your choices a severely limited.

Keep working!

• Like 1

Take some classes. You'll get immediate feedback and encouragement. It doesn't have to be drawing, it can be any kind of art class. Learning something new is always fun and exciting and the best way to spur you on to be more creative.

:yes:
  • Like 2

I feel like no one likes my art. I think it is crap and I want your opinion. Should I stop? I know my art is bad because I get C's on all of art in school and I can not draw everything.

Ex:

http://pre10.deviantart.net/4f72/th/pre/i/2016/160/a/e/alex_lifeson_rush_sketch_by_surrender74-da5o3i6.jpg

That is how bad it is.

That actually looks exactly like Lerxt...you've really captured him there

(not joking, btw)

Keep doing your art

• Like 1

Ex:

That is how bad it is.

That actually looks exactly like Lerxt...you've really captured him there

(not joking, btw)

Keep doing your art

Thanks!

How are you gonna get better if you stop? At least you know it's not great, something to drive you to get better. My daughter laughs at some of her art 5 years ago.
  • Like 1