What band is most similar to Rush and why?

rftag

While it is interesting to see the bands listed, I believe the original question was "similar" to Rush - not "sounds like" ..

Similar as in an ever evolving and creative force

Exactly. And as such my pick of muse is still the strongest imo.

Forget the naysayer. Check them out.

Check them out but they aren't half as inventive as Rush

• Like 1

While it is interesting to see the bands listed, I believe the original question was "similar" to Rush - not "sounds like" ..

Exactly. And as such my pick of muse is still the strongest imo.

Forget the naysayer. Check them out.

Check them out but they aren't half as inventive as Rush

Yeah not even .01% as talented either.

• Like 1

That's what I was wondering myself. If you are looking for a band that had a similar trajectory, but doesn't sound anything like Rush, I often think of R.E.M.

I have seen the R.E.M. documentary a few times and each time, it hits me how many parallels there are between the two bands journeys, although it seems like Rush always wanted to be a successful, recording, touring rock band and R.E.M. were college students that were having fun playing at parties when they first started. After that, though, many things were the same-

Both bands--

-had members that were friends and remained friends throughout

- started out without large "hits" and became well known through extensive touring and word of mouth

- decided to have all members work on songwriting as much as possible

-decided they would stand up for their vision and integrity of their music, even if it meant a battle with the record company

-always kept moving forward in their musical journey, with each album sounding different than the one before; some a little different; some totally different; but with each band always showing evidence of thinking about their music, working on their art with energy, never just being satisfied with the past.

It brought Rush a 41 year career. :) It brought R.E.M. , technically, a 31 year career; although founding drummer Bill Berry retired in 1997 due to serious health issues. (He said he wouldn't retire if it made the band break up, so they kept going 11 more years but honestly, IMO, the heart had kind of gone out of it.) They tried other drummers and finally hired one for good in 2002 but it just wasn't the same. They did fewer projects and called it a day in 2011. I hope the future holds the best for members of both bands! (I kind of like them you might be able to tell. . . :P :P )

• Like 4

There is no one. No band in the world that can do what Rush does. None.

Theres no contest.

C'mon man. I think Rush are way better personally, but if you are talking all out technical, precise playing, Dream Theater has got them topped.

That's what I was wondering myself. If you are looking for a band that had a similar trajectory, but doesn't sound anything like Rush, I often think of R.E.M.

I have seen the R.E.M. documentary a few times and each time, it hits me how many parallels there are between the two bands journeys, although it seems like Rush always wanted to be a successful, recording, touring rock band and R.E.M. were college students that were having fun playing at parties when they first started. After that, though, many things were the same-

Both bands--

- started out without large "hits" and became well known through extensive touring and word of mouth

-decided they would stand up for their vision and integrity of their music, even if it meant a battle with the record company

-always kept moving forward in their musical journey, with each album sounding different than the one before; some a little different; some totally different; but with each band always showing evidence of thinking about their music, working on their art with energy, never just being satisfied with the past.

It brought Rush a 41 year career. :) It brought R.E.M. , technically, a 31 year career; although founding drummer Bill Berry retired in 1997 due to serious health issues. (He said he wouldn't retire if it made the band break up, so they kept going 11 more years but honestly, IMO, the heart had kind of gone out of it.) They tried other drummers and finally hired one for good in 2002 but it just wasn't the same. They did fewer projects and called it a day in 2011. I hope the future holds the best for members of both bands! (I kind of like them you might be able to tell. . . :P :P )

Verrrrry interesting. Yeah REM had some integrity as well, I can see the comparison. I believe they kinda went a bit too commercial, but when the world came around to them they came around in a big way.

• Like 1

Both bands--

Everyone knows REM and Rush don't sound alike in any way but i definitely understand and agree with your comparisons.

Just thinking about it now, IMHO, Life's Rich Pageant and Document were REM's Hemispheres and Permanent Waves. Both album pairs came along in each band's fairly early careers. Both groups were already cult band favorites at the time of those releases. And each album pair had a massively successful followup in Green and Moving Pictures.

On certain days I sing Fall on Me and Exhuming McCarthy with as much enthusiasm as The Trees and Natural Science.

"I am Superman, and I know what's happening"

:blaze:

• Like 2

We can find bits of similarity in the sound and style of Rush in many bands in specific song parts, and on the vocal style of Geddy in his early days, because Rush has done so many albums that are very different from one to the other. If we can find a band the closest to Rush style and sound, it would be only for an album, a song or a guitar riff or a vague similarity with a period of time.

By the way nice find Tony R with that band Last Flight to Pluto! Another good song :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GF_MENE7lY

Edited by rugen

Ahh i've got it!ZZ Top.Trio.Check.Been together same amount of time.Check.They're friends.Check.Had synth period.Check.Did a couple of concept albums,err no.They have beards and Rush, err,don't.Worth a try.
  • Like 2

If you are looking for a band with a similar ethos to Rush and in the same broad genre then I would suggest Porcupine Tree. Their early albums are nothing like their later albums, no album sounds like its predecessor and they've never compromised themselves for the mainstream.

Pity they are on permanent hiatus.

• Like 3

Rush and REM? Never in a million year would I have thought.......

Yeah me neither but then blueschica got me thinking. From the angle that she's looking at it, I can see it.

Thanks! As I said, not the sound, just the way things came together as far as working together artistically, high level of integrity, moving ahead on each album etc. I think your comparison about Life's Rich Pageant, Document and Green is interesting and spot on.

• Like 1

If you are looking for a band with a similar ethos to Rush and in the same broad genre then I would suggest Porcupine Tree. Their early albums are nothing like their later albums, no album sounds like its predecessor and they've never compromised themselves for the mainstream.

Pity they are on permanent hiatus.

Soundwisr and aproach yes. Maybe but execution? Not even close. PT arguably is the mastermind of one person with the idea of becoming a collective. Rush is an original collective approach.

Fishbone was started by 6 guys who went to Jr High together and were signed to a major label practially by the time they graduated high school. They defined a collective approach where there was no true leader. The lead guitar player was heavily influenced by Rush. The original band had broken up by the mid 90's but the collective spirit remains and is still going strong today yet on a much smaller scale.

How has the obvious Dream Theater not been mentioned? Also, Bands that sound like Rush already make them similar in some ways.

Cuz its not even f***ing close.

When Dream And Day Unite was as good as it ever got (and it was good) if that's what you're looking for.

-A trio

-A vocalist that people either love or hate

-Virtuoso playing, particularly on bass and drums

-More ofthen than not, the bass carries the melody, the guitar is textural with awesome solos

-A "weird" fanbase that other people either make fun of or just don't get

-You're either in the fanbase, or you're not

-A band and fanbase full of inside jokes and unique humor

Primus sucks.

:)

• Like 2

Zebra without a doubt. Trio band, vocalist with ultra-high vocals, bassist that also plays keyboards, inspired heavily by Led Zep.

They are way to generic to be anything close to what Rush is.

Dream Theater had tendencies, but never quite hit the mark... You could definitely tell that they were influenced by them....Zebra had tendencies as well, but leaned more towards the Led Zeppelin groove than anything else. Triumph on occasion..I think they were sort of parallel...more like a "Rush-Lite" kind of band....trio...power rock, lead singer had a high voice, drummer was melodic.

Rush evolved, and re-evolved, so they really never stuck to one specific style.