What band is most similar to Rush and why?

rftag

Rush's sound is very unique and evolved radically over time.

Is there any other band that may be pointed to as similar in this or any other respect to Rush? As in, evolving from Zeppelin like bluesy heavy metal to prog to pop to whatever?

The thing about Rush that is so awesome is that there's no other band like Rush, so I'm very eager to hear any suggestions of a band that had in any way followed a similar trajectory.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

Part of makes Rush unique is the fact that took the influence of some of the pioneers of hard rock, created a similar sound, and then began to blaze the trail themselves ..

Similar in a way is Voivod .. Aside from the fact that both bands are from Canada, Voivod were always pushing onward and upward, beginning with an approach that was more heavy/less refined, and then venturing off into the progressive stratosphere ..

Not exactly the same in style and path, although Voivod are huge fans of Rush, and they have covered Pink Floyd and King Crimson, but they were the next generation which was bound to be heavier ..

• Like 1

As has been said Rush is unique and i can't think of any band that sounds like Rush because they have changed musical styles over the years.Early stuff was Led Zeppelin meets Yes/Floyd with Burke Shelley of Budgie singing.The 80's saw the influence of the Police/Ultravox and New Wave music but still keeping a foot in heavy rock.I detect a bit of grunge in Counterparts/TFE/VT when Alex's guitar came roaring back.Bands like Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree have their moments when there are similarities but I have found each Rush album to be different/a progression over the previous one,mostly for the better.I have played the debut,MP,PoW,RTB,CA to people and they can't believe the are the same band save for Ged's distinctive voice.So to answer the question, no,I don't know of any band.Just my little rant. Edited by grasbo
  • Like 2

Muse.

Awesome trio with everchanging sound.

Also easily one of the best live show i have seen.

Muse sound nothing like Rush.

Album to album they don't have near as much variety.

Edited by Segue Myles

Take Geddy's voice out of the equation, and Rush sounds like a lot of bands.

Agreed. And to be honest they don't sound half as good as Tull or Yes when they are removed.

Agreed. And to be honest they don't sound half as good as Tull or Yes when they are removed.

What are you smoking today? ;)

• Like 5

Agreed. They sound twice as good, not half as good.

First there is almost nothing like Geddy vocals.

Triumph. Canadian trio playing rock and roll.

Then you almost need to ask what era of :rush:. Triumph is a good suggestion for late 70's till maybe aboot Signals. Early Asia reminds me more of The Synth Era.

My body. It's always smoking.

• Like 1

Not agree! Even without Geddy, Rush have their own identity in terms of songwriting skills and musicianship.

My body. It's always smoking.

:LOL: Good answer!

• Like 1

The band Zebra sounds similar to Rush in songs here and there and not just because of the similar vocals. The song No Tellin Lies and Bears sounds very much like 80's Rush. Also, Queensryche might not sound too much like Rush sonically, but they have used some of Rush's engineers and producers and have done concept records inspired by Rush IMO. Also, Scott Rockenfield on drums is the rock drummer that mostly reminds me of Peart's style.

Zebra's- No Tellin Lies

Edited by presto123
  • Like 1

While it is interesting to see the bands listed, I believe the original question was "similar" to Rush - not "sounds like" ..

Similar as in an ever evolving and creative force

Exactly. And as such my pick of muse is still the strongest imo.

Forget the naysayer. Check them out.