AOR WARS: Styx v. Journey v. Foreigner v. REO Speedwagon

AOR WARS  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which band do you prefer the most

Top 5 five AOR bands

5. Mr. Mister (Not kidding)

Mick

Why kid? Their drummer has gone on to become a prog legend. Their songs were well written and performed. All the musicians in the band were skilled, I think all had prior studio work to their credit and were formally trained on their instruments. They even decided, when at their peak of popularity, to go a different direction and essentially sabotage their own careers for sake of their integrity.

Nope, nothing to like here. [the track below sounds eerily like some of Rush's output from the same era]

http://youtu.be/lyyqqT0C6o0

The album that never was, because the record company basically didn't think they could sell it:

http://youtu.be/X1PLrLKlO_8

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

Top 5 five AOR bands

5. Mr. Mister (Not kidding)

Mick

Why kid? Their drummer has gone on to become a prog legend. Their songs were well written and performed. All the musicians in the band were skilled, I think all had prior studio work to their credit and were formally trained on their instruments. They even decided, when at their peak of popularity, to go a different direction and essentially sabotage their own careers for sake of their integrity.

Nope, nothing to like here. [the track below sounds eerily like some of Rush's output from the same era]

http://youtu.be/lyyqqT0C6o0

i love that song.

People get a picture when you say Mr. Mister.

but seriously great band.

Mick

• Like 1

Styx in their early years before they got popular is really underrated and masterpieces, but then Cornerstone and Killroy are bad albums. Next closest is foreigner but Styx

Kilroy and Dream Theater's The Astonishing are the two albums I hate the most from any bands I have ever liked ever.

Kilroy...I won't touch that album ever again. Hate it and the fact it killed off their momentum, straight after the killer pop album Paradise Theater, will forever frustrate me.

One of the songs is called Heavy Metal something and it's literally the wussiest thing I have ever heard. It makes Bon Jovi sound like Pantera.

Yikes I HATE Kilroy.

But those first ten albums I just love.

But I will say I do find myself frequently annoyed by the vocal style of DeYoung. As much as I enjoy Styx, he is the major reason why I don't love them way more than I do.

• Like 1

People get a picture when you say Mr. Mister.

Is It Love is an awesome song, Kyrie is a solid anthem and Broken Wings is definitely one of the better ballads from the decade of "the ballad". People lump them in with the '80s equivalent of bubble gum rock, but they had more in common with say Tears For Fears than they did Foreigner.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

I don't think I can decide. I've gone through major phases with Journey and Styx, but I can never deny the awsome and consistent power of Foreigner, and REO just completes the soundscape for me with at least a few excellent pop rockers. I guess I'd lean most toward Styx (I love DeYoung's voice personally), but Kilroy really does Kil the vibe.
  • Like 1

I like Mister Mr. Or whatever they are called but I didn't think they were AOR
  • Like 1

they fit all the marks to me.

Listen to Welcome to the Real World.

Mick

I have. Don't get me wrong I don't need to be nagged to replay it...

I shall do so immediately!

(Have we discussed this band before I don't remember you ever bringing them up).

• Like 1

Mick

(Have we discussed this band before I don't remember you ever bringing them up).

Yes when were introducing aor bands to each other, lol

Mick

Mick

Yes when were introducing aor bands to each other, lol

Mick

Aaaaaaaah...you might be the reason I know them then!

I don't like I ever even heard of the label AOR until I read Mick and Segue talking about it so much on this forum :LOL:

It's an odd label but most bands given it seem to fit a certain sound. One of the more sensible subgenre names. Looking for bands with the AOR has lead me to so many great bands!

• Like 1

I've always felt like Boston semi-invented/popularized AOR and Van Halen subsequently semi-invented/popularized hair metal. Nevertheless, the four bands listed in the poll are the ones I find to be the biggest names and cornerstones of the genre, with Boston a close fifth (often the forefathers are use on another level, this is one of those cases. They also don't match the same career arc of these four at all).
  • Like 2

Any band that features the awesome voice of Steve Perry gets my vote! Therefore Journey it is!
  • Like 5

It's odd that album oriented rock so rarely has any albums which are good all the way through. It's certainly true of these 4 bands.

I like songs from all 4 bands, but I'd never sit and listen to an entire album for any of them.

• Like 1

It's odd that album oriented rock so rarely has any albums which are good all the way through. It's certainly true of these 4 bands.

I like songs from all 4 bands, but I'd never sit and listen to an entire album for any of them.

Styx is the only exception to that thought for me. Early Styx (like Styx II or Equinox) and - strangely - Cornerstone.
  • Like 1

I would go for Styx and then REO Speedwagon. I hate Journey and Foreigner!

Any further explanation? :)

There songs suck!

Lol, point taken, though I do disagree. :P

Do you like Toto?

f**k NO!

What do you mean by that Surrender74?

Your point is a little unclear. ;)

• Like 2

Speedwagon. First show. Wheels Are Turning tour. Survivor opened. Oakland Coliseum Arena 1985.

They are a great live band! I've seen them twice...Foreigner once, and they were also really good.