Brazil 2016: Olympiad XXXI

goose

Watching today's diving qualifying competition made me think that it's due time to set up a thread for the upcoming Olympic games. We can use this as the place to discuss the athletes, their back stories, and to celebrate their triumphs as they happen. At this point, there may be athletes from your area working to make the US team in there sport. Why not tell us about them?

It was diver Krysta Palmer's story that drove me to start this thread. Krysta is a diver from the University of Nevada and a graduate of our local high school. What's interesting about her story is that she's 24 and didn't take up diving until age 20. Prior, she was a gymnast specializing in trampoline. She actually was a member of the US national team in trampoline, and was national champion in 2009. Injuries kept her from competing in the 2012 games, after which she decided to take up diving. In 2015 she set the Mountain West 1-meter springboard record with a total of 336.30.Here's hoping she makes it onto the team for Rio! :dweez:

• Like 3

I may be watching wayyyyy too much Investigation Discovery, but we know someone has been thinking of a way to off their spouse before they go to the Olympics in a country with few laws, and no extradition..... Edited by Disembodied Spirit

The swimming and the track and field events will the most interesting events for me to watch. The outdoor events not in a stadium are going to scary to watch, the Brazillian environment is not the best in any way.

A highway built for the Olympics destroyed by heavy waves

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/21/19/33697B0200000578-3552338-image-a-49_1461263836393.jpg

It appears they're resigned that they failed to get a 80% cleanup of Rio's waterway.

A-heavily-polluted-Brazilian-waterway-where-Olympic-events-will-be-held.-Credit-Pieter-van-den-Hoogenband-533x400.jpg

Edited by g under p
  • Like 1

The swimming and the track and field events will the most interesting events for me to watch. The outdoor events not in a stadium are going to scary to watch, the Brazillian environment is not the best in any way.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/21/19/33697B0200000578-3552338-image-a-49_1461263836393.jpg

It appears they're resigned that they failed to get a 80% cleanup of Rio's waterway.

A-heavily-polluted-Brazilian-waterway-where-Olympic-events-will-be-held.-Credit-Pieter-van-den-Hoogenband-533x400.jpg

I wonder what would happen to him if he fell in. :scared:

^^^^^I was wondering how he propels himself without having to put a body part in the water. This is really sad to see because on my bucket list is a visit/tour of South American countries. Especially if one of my favorite bands is having one of those massive concerts....man those fans can be lively as if it's a soccer match.

• Like 1

The games in Brazil will be a travesty.

Probability is high. When a country isn't prepared - financially or logistically - the Games will be in serious jeopardy.

• Like 2

The games in Brazil will be a travesty.

Probability is high. When a country isn't prepared - financially or logistically - the Games will be in serious jeopardy.

Olympics were supposed to happen only in Rio, now they'll be more spread all over th country because Rio is totally broken and out of structure for it.

And the highway got broken because it wasn't supposed to be built where it is. It lacks space actually. :huh:

Let's see what will happen... Anyway, I'll watch swimming modes, tennis, gymnastics and basketball at my comforting place and TV.

Would he even break the surface?
  • Like 1

This just can not be good for the 2016 Olympics. Athletes can now contest any positive or cast doubt on tests results....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/sports/olympics/rio-drug-testing-lab-is-suspended-by-wada.html?_r=0

This just can not be good for the 2016 Olympics. Athletes can now contest any positive or cast doubt on tests results....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/sports/olympics/rio-drug-testing-lab-is-suspended-by-wada.html?_r=0

Standards schmandards...

We don't need no stinkin' standards!!!

Standards schmandards...

We don't need no stinkin' standards!!!

:LOL:

Would he even break the surface?

:no:

I live in Rio, and what Colbert says here is all true:

http://youtu.be/eKXJxLFj0cI

Rod, we are getting so many mixed messages here in the states. Keep us updated.

Sounds like a mess

• Like 1

DS, when you say "mixed messages", it implies there are actual POSITIVE messages being said about these games? It´s hard to believe...

I think there´s a potential for disaster here. The State of Rio is bankrupt, with all the money spent on the Olympics and the downfall of the oil industry. This was a huge source of income that Rio failed to take advantage of and transform it in jobs, infrastructure and crime fighting. Now the wells are dry (figuratively of course - the oil is there, but the barrel prices are low! :coy: ) and the State is struggling to pay for elementary services, such as the police´s phone bills and fuel. I think the arenas are almost close to completion, but I seriously doubt that it will be a safe event. And I´m not even considering the possibility of a terrorist attack, which is a real threat, considering how this could give ISIS a much wanted exposure in the media.

Just yesterday a dismembered body was found on the beach close to where the Beach Volleyball arena is being put together - less than a mile from where I live. If I was to give you guys one piece of advice it would be: check the Olympics out on the TV - don´t come over!

• Like 3

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/article86728937.html

Here's a story on the dismembered body. I just can hear somebody saying....while fixing the volleyball nets....*hey could you give us a hand, I gotcha hand right herea*. What a mess, I they can get it together or else it will another 100 years the Olympics will come back to South America.

Read further down and see what the police have to go through is absolutely ridiculous. You would think the local government would at least take care of their police force every day needs.

Edited by g under p
  • Like 2

Who's going???

I have a friend who's taking his family down. He's been to Portugal before, and speaks the language.

• Like 1