Wot? A Flower? TRF's Garunteed Eternal GENESIS THREAD!

A Trick Of The Tail is significantly better than Selling England By The Pound.

Bite me.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/WRONGWRONG_zpsy0fpgfot.gif

:poke:

My brain. My poor feeble brain.

Is it the flashing, the eye-poking, or the fact that ATOTT is better than SEBTP?

Bite me.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/WRONGWRONG_zpsy0fpgfot.gif

Shades are required.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/tumblr_nyc6fbMiY51s9t9owo1_500_zpsb8cse5ij.gif

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Bite me.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/WRO_zpsy0fpgfot.gif

Shades are required.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/tumblr_nyc6fbMiY51s9t9owo.gif

What??

Edited by Digital Dad

Not really sure where DigitalDad is headed with this, but A Trick Of The Tail is in fact better than SEBTP and there's nothing you can do to make me think otherwise.

:P

Not really sure where DigitalDad is headed with this, but A Trick Of The Tail is in fact better than SEBTP and there's nothing you can do to make me think otherwise.

:P

No it isnt.

Yes it is.

Wind & Wuthering for most underrated Genesis album?

It was one of the first Genesis albums I listened to, and arguably the most important one in getting me into Genesis. Obviously I've got a big soft spot for it. Back when I was just getting into the band, I would put on my Wind & Wuthering record just before bed and fall asleep to its soothing sounds and lullaby melodies. Eventually it made me want to check out more of the early stuff, leading me to revisit Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot with incredible success. By the time I got my head around Supper's Ready, Genesis had secured that long open fourth slot in my top five favorite bands. None of this would've likely happened without Wind & Wuthering, even if it did (and still does) put me to sleep! Even this very thread (with it's misspelled title) is adore the result of the gentle brilliance of that record.

Now, for there record, I don't think it's one of their absolute best. I can easily name five Genesis albums I'd rate higher, and maybe a few more. But it is one of my personal favorites, and the fact that it's so often forgotten or maligned is something I find disappointing. So...

Who else loves Wind & Wuthering? Would you say it's underrated? Perhaps that it's Genesis' most underrated album? What are your thoughts?

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

It was one of the first Genesis albums I listened to, and arguably the most important one in getting me into Genesis. Obviously I've got a big soft spot for it. Back when I was just getting into the band, I would put on my Wind & Wuthering record just before bed and fall asleep to its soothing sounds and lullaby melodies. Eventually it made me want to check out more of the early stuff, leading me to revisit Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot with incredible success. By the time I got my head around Supper's Ready, Genesis had secured that long open fourth slot in my top five favorite bands. None of this would've likely happened without Wind & Wuthering, even if it did (and still does) put me to sleep! Even this very thread (with it's misspelled title) is adore the result of the gentle brilliance of that record.

Now, for there record, I don't think it's one of their absolute best. I can easily name five Genesis albums I'd rate higher, and maybe a few more. But it is one of my personal favorites, and the fact that it's so often forgotten or maligned is something I find disappointing. So...

Who else loves Wind & Wuthering? Would you say it's underrated? Perhaps that it's Genesis' most underrated album? What are your thoughts?

No way my friend!!!!

"Trick Of The Tail" and "Wind And Wuthering" are both perfect albums. Every note.

• Like 1

May well be underrated except by the diehard fans. I love it too.

• Like 1

I believe I read or watched somewhere that it's Tony Banks' favorite Genesis record...

with all the keyboards, hm I wonder why? :LOL:

• Like 1

I believe I read or watched somewhere that it's Tony Banks' favorite Genesis record...

with all the keyboards, hm I wonder why? :LOL:

..and all the writing credits... :D

I love it too. then again, I'm a keyboardist. Hmmm....

But seriously, aside from Mouse's Night, which I think lyrically is just...not...great, I love the whole album.

• Like 1

How about an updated ranking, for ranking's sake?

Foxtrot / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

A Trick Of The Tail

Genesis

Nursery Cryme

Selling England By The Pound

Abacab

Wind And Wuthering

Duke

Invisible Touch

We Can't Dance

From Genesis To Revelation

• Like 1

1.Trick of the Tail

2 Duke

3. Abacab

4. Wind & Wuthering

5. Genesis

6. Invisable Touch

7. Foxtrot

8. Nursery Cryme

9. Trespass

10. And Then There were Three

11. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

12. We Can't Dance

13. Calling All Stations

14. From Genesis to Revalation

Mick

• Like 1

Steve Hackett's released a new album, and for once I've actually listened to it!

I quite like it. It can get a little kitchy for my taste in areas, but the playing is phenomenal, the variety of styles and instruments is impressive, the songwriting is high quality, and it contains many moments of absolute prog euphoria. Epic and fun all at once. The production could use a little smoothing out though... just a bit.

http://www.hackettsongs.com/images/album/AtTheEdgeOfLightAlbumCover.jpg

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

• Like 1

1.Trick of the Tail

2 Duke

3. Abacab

4. Wind & Wuthering

5. Genesis

6. Invisable Touch

7. Foxtrot

8. Nursery Cryme

9. Trespass

12. We Can't Dance

13. Calling All Stations

Mick

You need to seriously revisit "From Genesis to Revelation".

I would have bet the farm that it would rank in your top 3. :)

• Like 1

From Genesis To Revelation

You too EP. :)

I agree, but I still doubt it gets much higher than 2nd least great. I could maybe see me ranking it over ...And Then There Were Three (another one I have to revisit), and on a very odd day, over We Can't Dance, but that's really it.

Oh, and I finally got Trespass recently so...another ranking for ranking's sake!

Alright, and no ties this time:

Foxtrot (highest highs, love every track, though the highlights are obvious)

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (slightly more consistent than Foxtrot, but doesn't have a Supper's Ready or a Get 'Em Out By Friday... In The Cage is close)

A Trick Of The Tail (gorgeous with narry a dull moment, but not as audacious as the Gabriel records)

Genesis (side one is perfection, and side two throws in 5 more tight, well written pop cuts)

Selling England By The Pound (probably heresy to keep it out of the top three, but as great as it is, and as often as I return to it, and even moving it up one spot from before...The Battle Of Epping Forest runs over long for not being as good as Get 'Em Out By Friday or The Return Of The Giant Hogweed...and honestly parts of The Cinema Show bore me at times...okay now I'm really in hot water, lol)

Nursery Cryme (A bit of filler and some muddy production do little to dull the brilliance of most of these cuts, and Hackett is on fire)

Abacab (Side two loses steam towards the end, and Me And Sarah Jane gets mixed up with Man On The Corner in my head, but the highlights are out of this world, feels like it aught to be higher)

Invisible Touch (great fun. Not big on The Brazilian, but everything else is as tight as 80s pop/new-wave ever got, plus Domino which is just powerful)

Wind And Wuthering (I thank this for introducing me to prog Genesis and give it an edge for that reason... plus it always seems caught in the shadow of ATOTT, and I just don't understand why no one ever talks about Eleventh Earl Of Mar or One For The Vine)

Trespass (on first listen, very good. I'm very impressed with whoever this drummer is from before Phil joined the band, and the guitar work is fine as well. Good hooks, good playing, moving passages...just very obvious that they're still working out their sound and formula. The next record would be a sonic leap for all involved.)

Duke (I love Duke. I have an emotional connection to Duke. It sounds amazing, has some of my favorite Genesis songs, and flows really well... I just don't listen to it that often, and it's padded out with a kind of sogginess that the other records don't seem to have. Man Of Our Times is a great hook...but it just goes on and on. Like how much louder can we play it? Alone Again is the same kind of thing. Misunderstanding wouldn't survive without its beat. I can never seem to memorize Duchess, despite loving it. Heathhaze and Cul-De-Sac have very powerful moments, but feel padded out. I really love Behind The Lines, Turn It On Again, Duke's Travels, and Duke's End... most of the rest falls short for me in some way, and I don't really get why)

We Can't Dance (this has great highs, but a lot of filler... really feeling like the Phil Collins backing band over a lot of this record)

From Genesis To Revelation (nice)

...And Then There Were Three (I haven't listened to it many times, and I don't own it...but I remember enjoying a couple tracks, Follow You Follow Me being one, and feeling really bored with most everything else)

1.Trick of the Tail

2 Duke

3. Abacab

4. Wind & Wuthering

5. Genesis

6. Invisable Touch

7. Foxtrot

8. Nursery Cryme

9. Trespass

12. We Can't Dance

13. Calling All Stations

Mick

You need to seriously revisit "From Genesis to Revelation".

I would have bet the farm that it would rank in your top 3. :)

Yeah, and if Selling England would make it on his list, it would rank in the top 2. :AlienSmiley:

• Like 1