Wot? A Flower? TRF's Garunteed Eternal GENESIS THREAD!

The Battle of Epping Forest--------------------------Classic

Aparently Banks was pissed. PG Spat all over his tune.

I love it personally. It has a cool narrative quality. Very catchy. Great bass line.

Well, Banks can't rule the sound all the time, lol. Rutherford might end up being one of my favorite bassists.

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend their favorite bootlegs?

Thanks in advance

There are a ton (only know some about Phil bootlegs...know nothing out the Peter boots) but the first one that comes to mind are the Lyceum gigs from May 1980. Arguably the best that's out there from the Duke Tour..

Have we tried ranking the albums yet? Ima try ranking the ones I've heard so far. Btw, this is a heck of a lot harder than ranking Queen, Rush, or Muse's albums for me, wow.

1. Foxtrot - if only for Supper's Ready, probably my 2nd fav song ever, but every other song is awesome as well

2. Genesis - it's perfect, every song is memorable, every song is different, it coalesces perfectly, it's utilitarian, it's complex, it's simple, it's Genesis

3. Nursery Cryme - Peter Genesis does epic prog rock with audible guitar! Mystical, admirable, beautiful naivety

4. Duke - entrancing, oddly warm, inviting, catchy, strong, crystal clear, I just can never remember every song's hook off the top of my head

5. Wind And Wuthering - An even more intimate and even lonelier Duke with an even warmer and mire inviting atmosphere, oddly created almost entirely by synths. Writing's just less consistent and the album just has less direction.

6. Selling England By The Pound - tons of great stuff, but I'm not really sold on the giant chunk of the album taken by the battle of Epping Forest, and the rest is well written, but not mind blowing enough. Sounds great though.

7. We Can't Dance - lot's of great underrated tunes, three bond fide late epics, but a good deal of samey "filler" in the middle. Love the sound.

Have we tried ranking the albums yet? Ima try ranking the ones I've heard so far. Btw, this is a heck of a lot harder than ranking Queen, Rush, or Muse's albums for me, wow.

1. Foxtrot - if only for Supper's Ready, probably my 2nd fav song ever, but every other song is awesome as well

2. Genesis - it's perfect, every song is memorable, every song is different, it coalesces perfectly, it's utilitarian, it's complex, it's simple, it's Genesis

3. Nursery Cryme - Peter Genesis does epic prog rock with audible guitar! Mystical, admirable, beautiful naivety

4. Duke - entrancing, oddly warm, inviting, catchy, strong, crystal clear, I just can never remember every song's hook off the top of my head

5. Wind And Wuthering - An even more intimate and even lonelier Duke with an even warmer and mire inviting atmosphere, oddly created almost entirely by synths. Writing's just less consistent and the album just has less direction.

6. Selling England By The Pound - tons of great stuff, but I'm not really sold on the giant chunk of the album taken by the battle of Epping Forest, and the rest is well written, but not mind blowing enough. Sounds great though.

7. We Can't Dance - lot's of great underrated tunes, three bond fide late epics, but a good deal of samey "filler" in the middle. Love the sound.

You haven't heard A Trick of the Tail yet? Are you in for a treat...

• Like 3

You haven't heard A Trick of the Tail yet? Are you in for a treat...

And Abacab. Invisible

Touch has its moments.

And Im a CAS fan. Dont sleep

On Stations.

And your Genesis voyage is not complete until you have immersed yourself in the Lamb.

• Like 2

----- And when you've listened to all of the above don't forget to listen to From Genesis to Revelation,they're debut album from 1969!

It's a world away from how they sounded on second album Trespass, but Gabriel's voice is already sounding quite strong and powerful! Amazing to think they were still in public school at the time,and Hackett and Collins were still two years away from joining! Well worth a listen though,even to hear The Silent Sun which sounds remarkably like The Bee Gees!

• Like 2

Lol, I love all the recs and will get to them all in due time, but I was kind of hoping we could all share our Genesis rankings. :LOL:

Edited to organize these into tiers:

THE BEST

1. (tie) Selling England / A Trick of the Tail

3. Foxtrot

THE GREAT

4. Nursery Cryme

5. Trespass

6. Duke

THE GOOD

7. Wind and Wuthering

8. The Lamb

THE REST

9. Abacab

10. From Genesis to Revelation

11. ...And Then There Were Three...

12. Genesis

I don't find much to like on Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance, or Calling All Stations.

Edited by Chronos
  • Like 1

Here's my list with favourite track and album ratings

The Best-Selling England By The Pound / The Cinema Show (9.0/10)

-The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway / The Lamia (9.5/10

-A Trick Of The Tail / Ripples (9.5/10)

-Duke / Heathaze ( 8.5/10)

The Good-Trespass / Looking For Someone (7.5/10)

-Foxtrot / Supper's Ready (8.0/10)

-Wind And Wuthering / Blood On The Rooftops (7.5/10)

-Genesis / Mama ( 7.0/10)

The Rest-From Genesis To Revelation / The Conqueror (5.5/10)

-Nursery Cryme / Fountain Of Salmacis ( 6.5/10)

-And Then There Were Three / Undertow ( 5.5/10)

-Abacab / Abacab (5.0/10)

-Invisible Touch / Domino ( 4.0/10)

-We Cant Dance / Dreaming While You Sleep (5.0/10)

-Calling All Stations / Alien Afternoon ( 5.5 /10)

The live album Seconds Out is also essential listening,and one of the great live albums from the seventies (8.5/10)

The two Archive box sets released some years ago are also very good and contain some excellent studio tracks not released on the albums,and some brilliant live tracks,including a complete live version of The Lamb recorded in LA in 75 before Gabriel left the band! Unfortunately these two sets are really hard to get,but Spotify has at least one you can listen to (8.0/10)

Genesis Live recorded in 1973 is a good release and features Gabriel-era Genesis at their very best,but unfortunately Supper's Ready was recorded but as it was over twenty two minutes long,they left the song off the record ( 6.5/10)

Three Sides Live (6.5/10),The Way We Walk ( Long + Short) (5.0/10),and Live Over Europe 2007 (6.0/10) are also good live records and can be found on the Genesis Live box set which also contains the missing Supper's Ready live track that was left of Genesis Live! Excellent box set (8.0/10).

I've been listening to Genesis since 1980,when Duke was released and I never grow bored listening to them.

It would be nice if they got back together for an album/tour but as the years go by this seems more and more unlikely!

• Like 1

In the mound of records I bought today, I picked up Abacab, the PG album with the rain covered blue car on the cover, and a Steve Hackett album from 77 I think. I also nearly bought what looked to be a nicely packaged bootleg of an early live show openly available in the legit record store, but it was too expensive for me today and I preferred quantity today. Looked awesome though, had a number of songs I'd never heard of.
  • Like 1

In the mound of records I bought today, I picked up Abacab, the PG album with the rain covered blue car on the cover, and a Steve Hackett album from 77 I think. I also nearly bought what looked to be a nicely packaged bootleg of an early live show openly available in the legit record store, but it was too expensive for me today and I preferred quantity today. Looked awesome though, had a number of songs I'd never heard of.

Did you happen to catch the title

Of the boot? Fyi you should check out Genesis movement. They have a ton of shows available.

Of the boot? Fyi you should check out Genesis movement. They have a ton of shows available.

Hrm, no I can't recall the title. It was a white base with black and white printing and picture. The cover was a pic of the five band members all smiling with their longer hair, I think PG with his shorter hair was off to the right in a jacket and t shirt and PC was off to the left. The setlist was printed at the bottom in a fun comic book font. It started with watcher of the skies on side one, then went into a couple songs either from much earlier albums or that were simply live only songs. Side two started with the musical box then went again into some songs I didn't know. The back cover was blank white.

EDIT: It took a long while, but I found it! It's "As Though Emerald City"

Side 1: Watcher of the skies, Lilywhite Lilith/The Waiting Room/Anyway, It

Side 2: The Musical Box, Happy The Man, Twilight Ale House

If it's official, based on the kind of setlists I saw in my brief searches of the Genesis website, maybe I should've cashed out and gotten it?

EDIT 2: yes it was official. The cover even mentioned something about quadrophonic sounds now that I see that online which I've read is baloney. Starting to think I missed out on a classic boot, but then maybe I'll see it again. Really amazed it was just sitting in the rack at my local record store, any unsuspecting customer easily being able to mistake it for an official release.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Hrm, no I can't recall the title. It was a white base with black and white printing and picture. The cover was a pic of the five band members all smiling with their longer hair, I think PG with his shorter hair was off to the right in a jacket and t shirt and PC was off to the left. The setlist was printed at the bottom in a fun comic book font. It started with watcher of the skies on side one, then went into a couple songs either from much earlier albums or that were simply live only songs. Side two started with the musical box then went again into some songs I didn't know. The back cover was blank white.

EDIT: It took a long while, but I found it! It's "As Though Emerald City"

Side 1: Watcher of the skies, Lilywhite Lilith/The Waiting Room/Anyway, It

Side 2: The Musical Box, Happy The Man, Twilight Ale House

If it's official, based on the kind of setlists I saw in my brief searches of the Genesis website, maybe I should've cashed out and gotten it?

EDIT 2: yes it was official. The cover even mentioned something about quadrophonic sounds now that I see that online which I've read is baloney. Starting to think I missed out on a classic boot, but then maybe I'll see it again. Really amazed it was just sitting in the rack at my local record store, any unsuspecting customer easily being able to mistake it for an official release.

Not official at all. You probably dodged a bullet not purchasing it. Not saying its not a good boot but can probably be had for much cheaper that its listed price.

The PG album is his first album ,or "car" from 77! It's not known to be a classic,but I often listen to this as much as his more popular records! Personal favourites include Moribund, Slowburn and t g brilliant Here Comes The Flood.Bob Fripp also appears on this album too! Hope you like it!

The PG album is his first album ,or "car" from 77! It's not known to be a classic,but I often listen to this as much as his more popular records! Personal favourites include Moribund, Slowburn and t g brilliant Here Comes The Flood.Bob Fripp also appears on this album too! Hope you like it!

Well, I knew it was PG and I knew it was one of the cool ones he did before So, so when I saw it had Solsbury Hill I had no reason not to pick it up! Will listen soon.

• Like 2

Well, I knew it was PG and I knew it was one of the cool ones he did before So, so when I saw it had Solsbury Hill I had no reason not to pick it up! Will listen soon.

This album was released my senior year of college and was on the turntable a lot. A lot.

I'm BBQ'ing tonight. I'll put this album on.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Can anyone recommend their favorite bootlegs?

Thanks in advance

Someone already mentioned the 1980 Lyceum shows earlier, but I've got quite a few Genesis bootlegs that I would recommend to anyone:

24-Feb-1973 - Free Trade Hall, Manchester England (The show where the first live album was recorded; a transfer from the test pressing by TM Productions includes all songs and introduction stories [including Supper's Ready, which wasn't on the final release])

21-Apr-1974 - University Sports Arena, Montreal Canada (FM broadcast; the best version is from PRRP called A Classic Broadcast Revisited)

11-Jan-1975 - Lakeland Civic Center Concert Hall, Lakeland Florida (Soundboard from The Lamb tour; there's plenty of boards and OEM recordings from this tour that have surfaced over the years, but this show is considered the best. PRRP also did a release for this show called Broadway Everglades)

10-Jun-1976 - Hammersmith Odeon, London England (There's multiple sources for this show, including FM and soundboard; best version is GASP 014 entitled Live At London. The first song, Dancing on a Volcano, is slightly cut by one minute)

21-May-1977 - Ibirapuera Stadium, Sao Paulo Brazil (Significant because of Genesis' first trek to South America; the late show was recorded from the board. Grab either the GASP or TM Productions version of this gig)

2-Jul-1977 - Hallenstadion, Zurich Switzerland (One of Steve Hackett's last shows with Genesis before the 1982 one off; recorded from the board. Get the version by Digital Brothers Production called Zurich Revisited)

13-Oct-1978 - Uptown Theatre, Chicago Illinois (REALLY spectacular performance from late in the 1978 tour; sourced from an FM broadcast. Get the TM Productions version)

30-Oct-1981 - Festhalle, Frankfurt Germany (Sourced from the board; get the TM Productions or GASP version)

27-Sep-1982 - Marquee Club, London England (An audience recording of a one-off gig at the old Marquee Club in London, where Genesis played many concerts early in their career; the master tape for the show surfaced a few years ago, so get that version)

27-Nov-1983 - Spectrum, Philadelphia Pennsylvania (Broadcast on FM radio; there is a pre-FM source called A Phantastically Phabulous Philly that is generally regarded as the best version of this show)

15-Oct-1986 - Forum, Inglewood California (Broadcast on FM radio, with the soundboard being posted to Wolfgang's Vault a few years ago; really great sounding show, but the soundboard version is not lossless like 99% of other bootlegs. Get the Coaster Factory release)

04-Jul-1987 - Wembley Stadium, London England (Last show of the Invisible Touch tour, broadcast to FM; pre-FM source titled Live in the City of Light is the best version)

2-Aug-1992 - Knebworth Park, Stevenage England (Last show of the summer leg for the We Can't Dance tour; there's also a professionally shot video of this concert, which I consider to be the best concert Genesis did with Phil at the helm. For the FM broadcast version, get the one titled A Midsummer Night's Dance)

• Like 1

Here's my list with favourite track and album ratings

The Best-Selling England By The Pound / The Cinema Show (9.0/10)

-The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway / The Lamia (9.5/10

-A Trick Of The Tail / Ripples (9.5/10)

-Duke / Heathaze ( 8.5/10)

The Good-Trespass / Looking For Someone (7.5/10)

-Foxtrot / Supper's Ready (8.0/10)

-Wind And Wuthering / Blood On The Rooftops (7.5/10)

-Genesis / Mama ( 7.0/10)

The Rest-From Genesis To Revelation / The Conqueror (5.5/10)

-Nursery Cryme / Fountain Of Salmacis ( 6.5/10)

-And Then There Were Three / Undertow ( 5.5/10)

-Abacab / Abacab (5.0/10)

-Invisible Touch / Domino ( 4.0/10)

-We Cant Dance / Dreaming While You Sleep (5.0/10)

-Calling All Stations / Alien Afternoon ( 5.5 /10)

The live album Seconds Out is also essential listening,and one of the great live albums from the seventies (8.5/10)

The two Archive box sets released some years ago are also very good and contain some excellent studio tracks not released on the albums,and some brilliant live tracks,including a complete live version of The Lamb recorded in LA in 75 before Gabriel left the band! Unfortunately these two sets are really hard to get,but Spotify has at least one you can listen to (8.0/10)

Genesis Live recorded in 1973 is a good release and features Gabriel-era Genesis at their very best,but unfortunately Supper's Ready was recorded but as it was over twenty two minutes long,they left the song off the record ( 6.5/10)

Three Sides Live (6.5/10),The Way We Walk ( Long + Short) (5.0/10),and Live Over Europe 2007 (6.0/10) are also good live records and can be found on the Genesis Live box set which also contains the missing Supper's Ready live track that was left of Genesis Live! Excellent box set (8.0/10).

I've been listening to Genesis since 1980,when Duke was released and I never grow bored listening to them.

It would be nice if they got back together for an album/tour but as the years go by this seems more and more unlikely!

Forgot to mention, I've had Seconds Out for a long while as well, love it.

• Like 1

If you search for genesis seconds out on youtube you will find a awesome 40 minute video from that era that is not seconds out.

The version of entangled is amazingly beautiful.

Genesis. In Concert. With Bill Bruford on drums. Totally beautiful. Its on the 2 cd version from the boxed set of Trick of the Tail

• Like 3

If you search for genesis seconds out on youtube you will find a awesome 40 minute video from that era that is not seconds out.

The version of entangled is amazingly beautiful.

Genesis. In Concert. With Bill Bruford on drums. Totally beautiful. Its on the 2 cd version from the boxed set of Trick of the Tail

Thanks for the source of that video.

Yeah bruford kills it as does phil. Quite honestly i never realized how dynamic phil was a the lead vocalist.

• Like 2

Last night I was listening to Seconds Out (Its still one of the best live albums I've heard!),and in particular Supper's Ready!

It's a tremendous song,and PC sings it beautifully! However I still believe the definitive version can be heard on Foxtrot featuring PG,and there's also a great version too on the Live box set recorded in 73! Whatever version you like its still a great song whoever sings it!

Also Los Endos,the final track on Seconds Out,is just so good! LOVE IT!!!

• Like 4