Did Led Zeppelin Steal The Opening Notes To Stairway To Heaven?

g under p

Whether or not Zep "stole" the guitar intro, Zep obviously did an insanely better job marketing it to people and connecting with an audience with that music than the other band did. Plus it's been how many years now? This is honestly a really dumb trial. Stairway's more than a classic at this point, it's rock and roll DNA, why mess with it now?
  • Like 4

EDIT: forget that, should've read the link first.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

A song is so much more than a series of notes or a chord progression or a riff or a rhythm. In cases of theft, I think the melody and the arrangement of the song are the main distinctions. I don't think that's the case with "Stairway to Heaven".
  • Like 2

According to the book I read, Robert wants little to nothing to do with Jimmy.

Why is that, Lorraine?

He blamed Jimmy and his dabbling into the occult for his son's death, and the accident he and his wife were in, and Bonzo's death.

All this Led Zep talk makes me want to go listen to the song most TRFers despise - Kashmir! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I see. Plant´s son´s death was never really explained, was it? He wrote All My Love for him.

• Like 1

Jake Holmes opened for the Yardbirds, and Page flat out stole this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc

My jaw dropped the first time I heard this song. Led Zeppelin is guilty of a lot of things, but I don't think "Stairway to Heaven" warrants a lawsuit. Anyway, so much would have been avoided if Zeppelin initially gave credit were credit was due. Still, they were a monster band made up of monster talent. In some cases, honesty was unfortunately left out.

• Like 1

...yes, that is theivery. Darn, love the Zep version.

We all know John Paul Jones what the only member not to sell his soul to the devil.

So they say.

Even Miss Pamela thought there was something to all that.

It's gotta be true then, right? ;)

Edited by Lorraine

Whether or not Zep "stole" the guitar intro, Zep obviously did an insanely better job marketing it to people and connecting with an audience with that music than the other band did. Plus it's been how many years now? This is honestly a really dumb trial. Stairway's more than a classic at this point, it's rock and roll DNA, why mess with it now?

Yep,

Sounds like some one is desperate for money.

Randy California and Ed Cassidy are smiling from the heavens, I am sure. By the way Spirit were so cool back in the day-------R.I.P fellas

Randy California was given that name California by the one and only Jimi Hendrix.

• Like 1

There's no accounting for taste!

I don't get the dislike. I think it's a brilliant song. It's steamroller that crushes all in its path.

It's a boring durge.

Everytime I hear it I imagine Beavis and Butthead singing along to the riff.

Edited by HemiBeers

Hey, they don't call him Jimmy Plage for nothing.

• Like 2

There's no accounting for taste!

I don't get the dislike. I think it's a brilliant song. It's steamroller that crushes all in its path.

It's a boring durge.

What's a durge?

woo woo woo...got pulled over by the spellchecker police. a thousand pardons...durge = dirge.
  • Like 1

I like Ian Anderson's take on the larger issue. The Eagles Hotel Cali has a structure close to Tull's We Used to Know. Ian called it a compliment to Tull's work, and noted the virtual impossibility of finding new chord structures.
  • Like 3

I like Ian Anderson's take on the larger issue. The Eagles Hotel Cali has a structure close to Tull's We Used to Know. Ian called it a compliment to Tull's work, and noted the virtual impossibility of finding new chord structures.

Sam Smith ripping off "I Won't Back Down" is an example of theft, coincidental or not. Petty deserves songwriting credit and royalties.

"All my years of songwriting have shown me these things can happen. Most times you catch it before it gets out the studio door but in this case it got by. Sam's people were very understanding of our predicament and we easily came to an agreement." - Tom Petty

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

We all know John Paul Jones what the only member not to sell his soul to the devil.

Yup!