Favorite Rush album?

tony990

There are a couple of other threads similar to this one. I've said this before. I really think it's not an easy choice to pick a Rush personal favorite compact disk, and album because they are too good, and can, and do reflect in each of our lives in different ways. Edited by Derek19

I can try to rank them within their eras. Still very tight (with the exception of the first and last eras)

Fly by Night

Caress of Steel

Rush

Moving Pictures

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

A Farewell to Kings

(all nearly tied)

Power Windows

Grace Under Pressure

Signals

Hold Your Fire

(top 2 nearly tied)

Counterparts

Presto

Test for Echo

Roll the Bones

(bottom 3 nearly tied)

Vapor Trails

Clockwork Angels

Snakes and Arrows

• Like 1

I can try to rank them within their eras. Still very tight (with the exception of the first and last eras)

Fly by Night

Caress of Steel

Rush

Moving Pictures

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

A Farewell to Kings

(all nearly tied)

Power Windows

Grace Under Pressure

Signals

Hold Your Fire

(top 2 nearly tied)

Counterparts

Presto

Test for Echo

Roll the Bones

(bottom 3 nearly tied)

Vapor Trails

Clockwork Angels

Snakes and Arrows

Kraft Punk! haha nice icon

• Like 2

Since I've already ranked every album in another thread, I'll just identify HEMISPHERES as my favorite, 2112 as #2, and CoS as #3...

1. Grace Under Pressure..............- 8/8

2. Power Windows.....................- 7/8

3. Moving Pictures...................- 5/7

4. Snakes & Arrows...................- 9/13

5. Roll the Bones....................- 7/10

6. Permanent Waves...................- 4/6

7. Test for Echo.....................- 7/11

8. Vapor Trails Remixed..............- 8/13

9. Hold Your Fire....................- 6/10

10. Signals...........................- 5/8

11. Presto............................- 6/11

12. Clockwork Angels..................- 6/12

13. A Farewell to Kings...............- 3/6

14. Counterparts......................- 5/11

15. 2112..............................- 3/7

16. Fly by Night......................- 2/8

17. Hemispheres.......................- 2/4

18. Caress of Steel...................- 2/5

19. Rush..............................- 1/8

20. Feedback..........................- 0/8

This was derived from a long and thought out process. The numbers on your right represent the number of songs I love on the album over the number of total songs on the album. The percentages derived from these numbers help understand why albums rank highly or near the bottom of my list, but don't tell the full story. For example, just going by the numbers, Hold Your Fire ranks at 60% while Signals scores a 62.5%, but that fails to take into account that I really dislike the 3 remaining songs on Signals and I like a couple of the songs off Hold Your Fire after my Top 6. This means I am far more likely to listen to the whole album of the latter. Hemispheres is another special case. At 50%, one would assume that it would fall no lower than just behind A Farewell to Kings. The problem is that the two songs I love off of Hemispheres are Circumstances & The Trees. That means that I only like a very small percentage of the actual running time of the album. This fact drops it down below even Fly by Night, because although I also only love two songs from that album, I find some of the other songs on it more listenable. Also the fact that By-Tor and The Snow Dog is one of my favourites skews the running time in favour of Fly By Night.

So there we go. This list is surely to not be well liked on this board, which seems to be dominated by fans who prefer the long prog-rock songs that I dislike. Nevertheless I think I think it is a worthwhile endeavour to bring forth alternate opinions, especially when they have some thought behind them. For the record, I used this font so I could maintain the spacing between the songs and the fractions. It was a bitch to get it to work!

Hemi #17 and CoS #18??? Ouch

Title is pretty self-explanatory. What's your favorite Rush album? Also, you can rank every Rush album from 1-20 if you prefer (I do!) Sorry if this topic already exists, I looked it up and didn't see it so I decided to create it myself.

*EDIT* Feedback isn't technically Rush, so include it if you like but the songs on that track were made by other artists.

19. Presto

18. Caress of Steel

17. Roll the Bones

16. Hold Your Fire

15. Rush

14. Fly By Night

13. Hemispheres

12. 2112

11. Signals

10. Counterparts

9. A Farewell to Kings

8. Moving Pictures

7. Power Windows

6. Grace Under Pressure

5. Permanent Waves

4. Test for Echo

3. Clockwork Angels

2. Snakes & Arrows

1. Vapor Trails

I didn't even need to look to see how old you are... It is generally a product of age...Not saying your choices are bad or wrong, but favorites are driven, in large part, by when one is introduced to their music... Edited by tks95747

I go back and forth between A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres - it is a tough call, as Cygnus X1 will never be unseated as my favorite song, and Xanadu up there too .. I even love Madrigal ..

The X factor is Circumstances, as it has climbed into my Top 5 Rush songs of all time ..

As of now:

- Hemispheres

- A Farewell To Kings

- Caress Of Steel ( probably would be #1 if Garden Road had been on it, like IT SHOULD HAVE )

- RUSH http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Music2/v4/0b/88/9d/0b889d6e-3b96-222d-c66d-dd07083142a4/cover100x100.jpeg

- Permanent Waves

- Fly By Night

- Moving Pictures

- Signals

- Grace Under Pressure

- Power Windows

after that, it is what it is

You have unparalleled taste in music~