Neil Probably Would Have Another Tour In Him If......

presto123

I believe this is it for Neil, unless something happens that he needs more money. He considers his shtick with Rush as a "business." Like all businessmen, sooner or later, they retire.

Lorraine are you ready for your Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio indoctrination?

:ph34r:

:AlienSmiley:

:scared:

I believe this is it for Neil, unless something happens that he needs more money. He considers his shtick with Rush as a "business." Like all businessmen, sooner or later, they retire.

:ph34r:

:AlienSmiley:

:scared:

Lorraine...do your demons...do they ever let you go??

The question beckons ...Is Lorraine a Country Girl or Lady Evil ??

Neil Probably Would Have Another Tour In Him If...his daughter asked him "Why don't you play any more concerts?"

Short of that, it will not happen.

Or IF....his daughter asked him "Daddy, why don't we have any more money?"

THAT ALWAYS...ALWAYS gets Daddy off the couch....ask..

Don Henley, Roger Daltrey, Axl Rose, Angus Young, Phil Collins, Bob Seger, Mick Jagger,.....etc

Ha...I have always believed that it will be Olivia who will get him back out there, IF it is to happen.

• Like 1

Neil Probably Would Have Another Tour In Him If...his daughter asked him "Why don't you play any more concerts?"

Don Henley, Roger Daltrey, Axl Rose, Angus Young, Phil Collins, Bob Seger, Mick Jagger,.....etc

I am now adding Steve Miller to this list.

And I will be the 1st to say it.......Go ON.....Take the Money and Run....YEE HAW

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-13/fly-like-an-eagle-into-steve-miller-s-16-8-million-washington-estate

The question beckons ...Is Lorraine a Country Girl or Lady Evil ??

Both!

• Like 1

Psssst RUSH fans, there's other bands out there, how about trying a few of them?? :P

Recently saw Blur's only MSG concert ever, Gilmour, Pearl Jam. Upcoming is McCartney, AIC, Cracker and perhaps the toughest ticket in the past decade, as The Hip say goodnight. Lots of great shows.

But they aint Rush. No way, no how.

Unfortunately Neil took his bands name literally when he took his well deserved retirement.

Ha...I have always believed that it will be Olivia who will get him back out there, IF it is to happen.

"You have always believed"?

It's not even been a year.

• Like 1

The tendonitis could be worse than we may ever know.

They are old men.

Eric Clapton just announced he can barely play the guitar for similar reasons and he's 7 years older than Neil

And drumming the way Neil has for 40 years, has to take a toll on the body.

Happy trails Professor, you have earned it...

40 years of playing together...and they aren't playing la-la- disco stuff, or putting 99 session guys up on stage like other bands.

I don't play as hard as, or as much as Neil ever did, and it hurts to sit and play more than about 20 minutes for me...

About the only guy hitting it hard that's still playing is Carl Palmer, but he always did it the right way, and did the proper warm ups etc...

If something else happens, great...if not...thanks for the memories (and the 8-billion bootlegs out there that we can listen to) And, hey...how about that LIVE BOX SET? :huh:

Edited by Jaminbenb

Psssst RUSH fans, there's other bands out there, how about trying a few of them?? :P

NEVAH!!!!

I'm too old to get involved with new music. My taste was set in stone 35 years ago. :poke:

• Like 3

I just finished reading my first Neil book.

i doubt we'll see Rush again. Neil's been finished touring since Presto. Now, he's really finished.

I agree. Is there anybody on this board that thinks Ged and Alex would replace Neil's spot with another drummer under the RUSH name? I say not in a million years.

Edited by presto123
  • Like 1

i doubt we'll see Rush again. Neil's been finished touring since Presto. Now, he's really finished.

I agree. Is there anybody on this board that thinks Ged and Alex would replace Neil's spot with another drummer under the RUSH name? I say not in a million years.

There are TRFers who think it'd be ok to do so.

But I don't think any TRFer has ever said Geddy & Alex WOULD do that.

• Like 1

Which book?

• Like 1

Sure tell me of a young band with a Permanent Waves type album, I'll be all ears.

That is sort of unfair, as Rush themselves couldn't even make another Permanent Waves after 1980

It's not Permanent Waves, but it is definitely good:

Anekdoten - Until All The Ghosts Are Gone

I'd say Mastodon has just about all the best elements of pre-1982 Rush. Cracke The Skye is probably the most Rush-like of all their records, but all their earlier ones are pretty similarly progressive and extremely heavy. Leviathan is great. So is their first full length, Remission. This song has a literal nod to YYZ at around the 6:00 mark of a 12 minute song:

https://youtu.be/zEMp-xfr0WI

• Like 2

..... would give up the motorcycle riding and travel by air conditioned plane like the rest of the band. Just stop and think how tired and exhausted riding a motorcycle with full riding gear in 90 degree heat would make even a young person. Even though he is not pedaling like a bicycle those long motorcycle rides are physically AND mentally exhausting.(trying to keep yourself alive on a motorcycle)

Neil would usually get a half hour to hour nap at the venue and then have to play a demanding 3 hour Rush show followed by too few hours of sleep to get up and do it all over again. I know that Neil says the motorcycling makes a tour more interesting, but it had to take a major toll at his age. No wonder he says he's burnt out on touring. Imagine the difference if you were conserving ALL of your energy for the show and staying in cool environments throughout the day.

I'm guessing that you don't ride? Otherwise, you might think differently. The type of riding that he does/did, IMO, is more exhilarating than exhausting. For him, it was something to look forward to - a bright spot in his otherwise dismal touring life. Without being able to ride while on the road, I'd bet that he'd have bailed long ago.

..... would give up the motorcycle riding and travel by air conditioned plane like the rest of the band. Just stop and think how tired and exhausted riding a motorcycle with full riding gear in 90 degree heat would make even a young person. Even though he is not pedaling like a bicycle those long motorcycle rides are physically AND mentally exhausting.(trying to keep yourself alive on a motorcycle)

Neil would usually get a half hour to hour nap at the venue and then have to play a demanding 3 hour Rush show followed by too few hours of sleep to get up and do it all over again. I know that Neil says the motorcycling makes a tour more interesting, but it had to take a major toll at his age. No wonder he says he's burnt out on touring. Imagine the difference if you were conserving ALL of your energy for the show and staying in cool environments throughout the day.

I'm guessing that you don't ride? Otherwise, you might think differently. The type of riding that he does/did, IMO, is more exhilarating than exhausting. For him, it was something to look forward to - a bright spot in his otherwise dismal touring life. Without being able to ride while on the road, I'd bet that he'd have bailed long ago.

Not to mention that his rides have inspired many of his lyrics.

Yeah, I think he would've quit touring ages ago too if he hadn't found riding.

Sure tell me of a young band with a Permanent Waves type album, I'll be all ears.

That is sort of unfair, as Rush themselves couldn't even make another Permanent Waves after 1980

It's not Permanent Waves, but it is definitely good:

Anekdoten - Until All The Ghosts Are Gone

I'd say Mastodon has just about all the best elements of pre-1982 Rush. Cracke The Skye is probably the most Rush-like of all their records, but all their earlier ones are pretty similarly progressive and extremely heavy. Leviathan is great. So is their first full length, Remission. This song has a literal nod to YYZ at around the 6:00 mark of a 12 minute song:

https://youtu.be/zEMp-xfr0WI

Thanks gents I have your recommendations loaded into Spotify.

If the guys would get smashed and hook up with groupies more often, a tour wouldn't seem so dismal!

honestly, yeah Neil's health issues obviously a big concern for the future of this band, if it has one, but i can't help feeling that the main reason we aren't hearing anything about new material in pipeline or whatever, could be the distinct possibility that Al has just dried up in the new sound department. I mean if Al had come up with what was a fresh and exciting sound for a new album I'm pretty sure the other two would jump on, whatever the circumstances. Alex's guitar is probably the essence of Rush and if he went to Neil & Ged excited like a kid at christmas saying he had something really special by way of a general noise they wouldn't be able to resist, they know how cool this guy is on his instrument.

Anyway, just a thought, maybe Al being as different over the decades always coming up with new general sounds for albums just hasn't found anything new to excite him in recent times? wouldn't surprise me, i mean at times it seems he covered everything. but of course that's what geniuses do, they come up with new stuff when you think there's nothing there. my fingers are crossed anyway.

honestly, yeah Neil's health issues obviously a big concern for the future of this band, if it has one, but i can't help feeling that the main reason we aren't hearing anything about new material in pipeline or whatever, could be the distinct possibility that Al has just dried up in the new sound department. I mean if Al had come up with what was a fresh and exciting sound for a new album I'm pretty sure the other two would jump on, whatever the circumstances. Alex's guitar is probably the essence of Rush and if he went to Neil & Ged excited like a kid at christmas saying he had something really special by way of a general noise they wouldn't be able to resist, they know how cool this guy is on his instrument.

Anyway, just a thought, maybe Al being as different over the decades always coming up with new general sounds for albums just hasn't found anything new to excite him in recent times? wouldn't surprise me, i mean at times it seems he covered everything. but of course that's what geniuses do, they come up with new stuff when you think there's nothing there. my fingers are crossed anyway.

Well hey, there's an angle that no one ever thought of! :D

Seriously, uncross your fingers. It's over, and not because of Geddy or Alex...