Neil Probably Would Have Another Tour In Him If......

presto123

..... would give up the motorcycle riding and travel by air conditioned plane like the rest of the band. Just stop and think how tired and exhausted riding a motorcycle with full riding gear in 90 degree heat would make even a young person. Even though he is not pedaling like a bicycle those long motorcycle rides are physically AND mentally exhausting.(trying to keep yourself alive on a motorcycle)

Neil would usually get a half hour to hour nap at the venue and then have to play a demanding 3 hour Rush show followed by too few hours of sleep to get up and do it all over again. I know that Neil says the motorcycling makes a tour more interesting, but it had to take a major toll at his age. No wonder he says he's burnt out on touring. Imagine the difference if you were conserving ALL of your energy for the show and staying in cool environments throughout the day.

Neil is Neil though and I would never expect him to come around to this point of view. haha

• Like 9

I'm not saying that ditching the motorcycle ride from show to show wouldn't help. But I think the bad tendonitis he has in his arms/shoulders and the fact that he really does want to spend as much time as can with his wife kid are the biggest reasons he wanted to stop touring.

Also, the man has made his money and probably just wants to enjoy retirement from the road now.

• Like 2

I'm not saying that ditching the motorcycle ride from show to show wouldn't help. But I think the bad tendonitis he has in his arms/shoulders and the fact that he really does want to spend as much time as can with his wife kid are the biggest reasons he wanted to stop touring.

Also, the man has made his money and probably just wants to enjoy retirement from the road now.

I do agree that there are other reasons, but giving up the cycling on tour would make it much, much easier IMO. Neil first started dealing with tendonitis way back on the T4E tour and I think it's even possible that all the cycling may have contributed to the condition. Can't say I blame Neil for trying to make tours interesting, I'm just saying if he DID want to carry on at some point that dropping his motorcycle routine would make it so much easier to do.

• Like 1

I think it's simply that he now has a second chance at a family and happiness in that regard and I'm sure he's aware there are fewer days ahead than behind. Can't blame the guy after what happened to his first wife and daughter.

The tendonitis could be worse than we may ever know.

They are old men.

Eric Clapton just announced he can barely play the guitar for similar reasons and he's 7 years older than Neil

And drumming the way Neil has for 40 years, has to take a toll on the body.

Happy trails Professor, you have earned it...

Edited by Disembodied Spirit
  • Like 6

I'm convinced the only reason he's been touring is the motorcycle rides. The tour is his excuse to be on the road riding. He blew that with his idiotic revelation that he dumped his bike and his constant need to ride roads his bike probably shouldn't be on.
  • Like 1

I can just see Neil on a tour bus lolling about eating Maccas and playing Space Invaders getting fat.Seriously I have mates of a certain age with battle scars who love nothing more than "gettin' out on the highway" to clear the mind and soul.Neil would get bored shitless on a bus even with a good book.Plus we would have no new Rush Tour by Bike books to look forward to.Sigh
  • Like 1

Clapton also has periphal neuropathy (like electric shocks going through you)which I have in my feet and now in my hands to a lesser degree among other health issues.I did a heavy rock gig last weekend and it took out of me.Mark Knopfler sang about getting a blister on your thumb and that ain't working but I ain't laughing about it now. Edited by grasbo
  • Like 2

I can just see Neil on a tour bus lolling about eating Maccas and playing Space Invaders getting fat.Seriously I have mates of a certain age with battle scars who love nothing more than "gettin' out on the highway" to clear the mind and soul.Neil would get bored shitless on a bus even with a good book.Plus we would have no new Rush Tour by Bike books to look forward to.Sigh

I think they travel by plane these days. The crew and Neil would travel by bus. Also, don't think you are burning too many calories riding motorcycles. Just losing water weight by roasting in traffic.

Psssst RUSH fans, there's other bands out there, how about trying a few of them?? :P

There are… other, b… bah…baaaaaahhhhhh… what now? That's just crazy talk.

• Like 1

Psssst RUSH fans, there's other bands out there, how about trying a few of them?? :P

Sure tell me of a young band with a Permanent Waves type album, I'll be all ears.

• Like 2

Sure tell me of a young band with a Permanent Waves type album, I'll be all ears.

You need to broaden your tastes, try some jazz or something.

That is sort of unfair, as Rush themselves couldn't even make another Permanent Waves after 1980

It's not Permanent Waves, but it is definitely good:

Anekdoten - Until All The Ghosts Are Gone

• Like 1

That is sort of unfair, as Rush themselves couldn't even make another Permanent Waves after 1980

It's not Permanent Waves, but it is definitely good:

Anekdoten - Until All The Ghosts Are Gone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I48vldXdYkw

That's right and so even if Peart does go back on tour and RUSH make albums again you're more likely to get Snakes & Arrows Part 2 rather than Permanent Waves Part 2.

• Like 3

To borrow Neil's own words from Open Secrets, "...time will do its healing...". To further that, give the man some time to enjoy family life, and to most importantly relax & take care of himself. Neil loves adventure...loves riding, and that can take a toll on one's health. We all know that when Neil was touring, he was performing at a self-imposed high level every other night of the week; playing about 25 to 30 songs, each song running about 5 minutes or longer...THAT IS A WORK-OUT. If he was only playing simple quarter note beats like AC/DC among other bands, he could go on & on & on. So, will Neil give it a green or "Lime" light as for future touring; I don't think right now. If some time down the road he gets the urge to play again, willing to go back out on the road on his terms, with the convincing encouragement of his wife & daughter, and to make what would be some big spending money, we'll see. I don't think I'll see RUSH perform here in New Orleans again; hope I'm wrong. He's given us so many special & what some of us hold sacred, memories over the span of 40 years, that we can make time stand still...hoping for what may come our way.
  • Like 2

Neil Probably Would Have Another Tour In Him If...his daughter asked him "Why don't you play any more concerts?"

Short of that, it will not happen.

Or IF....his daughter asked him "Daddy, why don't we have any more money?"

THAT ALWAYS...ALWAYS gets Daddy off the couch....ask..

Don Henley, Roger Daltrey, Axl Rose, Angus Young, Phil Collins, Bob Seger, Mick Jagger,.....etc

• Like 5

I believe this is it for Neil, unless something happens that he needs more money. He considers his shtick with Rush as a "business." Like all businessmen, sooner or later, they retire.

Lorraine are you ready for your Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio indoctrination?

I believe this is it for Neil, unless something happens that he needs more money. He considers his shtick with Rush as a "business." Like all businessmen, sooner or later, they retire.

:ph34r:

:ph34r:

:AlienSmiley: