5 Important Films to You

JohnnyBlaze

Was reading some film magazine yesterday that asked Gene Simmons to list/explain 5 films in each category listed below.

Here were Gene's answers...

Desert Island Movie:

Island of Lost Souls

1st Movie that Made You Cry:

King Kong (the original)

Film that I Love that Everyone Hates:

Judge Dredd (the Stallone one)

Movie that Scares Me Most:

The Excorcist

Film I Would Have Liked to Have Starred In:

Angel Heart

I left out Gene's reasons for those movies but some of them were kind of interesting.

Anyway, what're yours? Explain a little if you're not feeling too lazy. I'll have to think about mine and come back.

• Like 1

Desert Island Movie:

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Hammer version)

(I can't remember)

The Burbs

The Birds (well it was the first one to scare me)

The Time Machine

Desert Island Movie:

Shawshank Redemption...I've seen it a billion times and I can see it a billion times more. It's the perfect movie that never gets old.

Surprisingly, I've never cried in a movie. However, I was deeply touched by Iron Giant when the big guy sacrificed himself. I was already in my mid-late 20s when that movie came out.

Silent Rage...not sure if anyone really hates it but it's certainly unloved and never mentioned. It's got Sheriff Chuck Norris and his deputy sidekick played by Animal House's Flounder vs a risen from the dead, super strong villain that looks like Ivan Lendl...who coincidentally was one of Morgan Freeman's convict friends in Shawshank. HOW can anyone hate this? :LOL:

The Exorcist...Haven't seen it in a couple of decades but I'm sure it'd still creep me out.

Probably something thoughtful and funny like The Breakfast Club. I was never a John Bender or Claire, I was more like a combo of the other 3. So any of those 3 roles would've sufficed. These days, I'd fit perfectly as Carl the Janitor. :LOL:

• Like 3

OK, I'll do 5 films that have importance:

- Spirit Of The Beehive

There are a lot of foreign language films that are important to me ( .. foreign language to this Yankee ) .. My parents loved subtitled movies, and Spirit Of The Beehive was one I saw early on, and despite the many layers of meaning, I loved it because it was about living in your own world when everything around you is different .. Still one of my all-time favorites, and one of the few films I consider a masterpiece ..

- Zelig

Another film that made an impact on me early on, and if any film brings back incredibly happy memories, it's Zelig .. Not only is it hysterically funny, the whole premise of a human chameleon is incredible .. I love it

- Close Encounters Of the Third Kind

Very humbling movie for me - I always end up with tears in my eyes at the end ( lol ) .. And now that I can understand the details, I can appreciate the aspect of being driven for something you believe in, losing everything and distrust of authority ..

Ms.45

Revenge .. justice .. the meek being knocked down and taking a stand .. I was going to put Taxi Driver here, but Travis is too off balance and his motivation is, in part, due to insanity .. Ms.45 takes a painfully shy mute girl who is not insane, and gives her a gun .. Great film

Suicide Club

- "Are you connected with yourself ?" .. One of my all-time favorite movies, and I see something different each time I watch it

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Desert Island Movie:

Cool Hand Luke

Don't remember but an inner city kid adopted a cat and it ran out the door and into traffic. I was a kid too.

No idea.

Used to be Altered States, now nothing really scares me.

The Sessions playing the part of the guy in the iron lung.

• Like 1

Desert island: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

First cry: Breakfast At Tiffany's (because of the cat in the rain at the end of the movie - so I seem to remember at least...)

The one I love: Ghosts From Mars

Scared the most: The Day After

Starring in: anything with Charlize Theron!

• Like 1

Starring in: anything with Charlize Theron!

:LOL:

How about Monster with Theron?

I guess I would have enjoied the 'no make up' moments anyway, no matter setting an early alarm clock

• Like 2

Desert Island Movie:

The Lion King

ET

Australia

hhhhmmm...I don't really get scared, but I jumped a lot at Jaws! (Actually that did scare me...)

White Chicks

• Like 3

Desert Island Movie: Hope and Glory The WW II movie directed by John Boorman, I get something different from it whenever I see it

1st movie that made me cry: Old Yeller

Film I love that everyone hates: Dirty Dancing - Every guy hates it, every woman likes it

Movie that Scares me the most: The Birds

Movie I Would Have liked to Star In: The original 1960's Swiss Family Robinson; I loved their treehouse and their animals!

• Like 1

Desert Island Movie:

Shawshank Redemption...I've seen it a billion times and I can see it a billion times more. It's the perfect movie that never gets old.

ET

Yes to both of these.

Hates? I dunno... do people hate My Cousin Vinny? If so - then that one.

Scary? I really don't like horror flicks, so I'm not sure

Star in... Ferris Bueller

Desert Island Movie:

ET

Scary? I really don't like horror flicks, so I'm not sure

That's you're too scared, just like a typical Packers fan! :banana:

Desert Island Movie:

The Shawshank Redemption.

No answer to this one.... it hasn't happened to me.

Agnes Of God.

Seven.

Pulp Fiction.

Desert Island Movie:

Star Trek: First Contact

As a big Star Trek fan who grew up in the TNG era, I was blown away by First Contact. Not only is it one of the best stories in all Star Trek, it's one of my all time favorite movies across any genre.

Independence Day

Go ahead and laugh, but between the death of the first lady followed by President Whitmore's big inspirational speech, and the redeeming self-sacrifice of Russel Case; you'd have to be stone not to be moved. I always choke up at parts of Indepdence Day.

Wrongfully Accused

Leslie Nielsen's spoofs are divisive as it goes, but when you get into some of the post-Naked Gun ones, people downright hate them. Wrongfully Accused was so jam packed with jokes that if it its, its unrelenting. For me, it's non stop laughter.

Tremors/Dune

Laugh again if you must, but very few movies scared me when I was a kid. I'd laugh at serial killers, I'd scoff at alien abductions... but when it came to the idea of massive worm creatures that could just emerge from the Earth below and eat you: that put a shiver in my spine.

Demolition Man

Guns, explosions, futuristic cars and Sandra Bullock at her cutest. Plus you get to hit Wesley Snipes

and say "You're on TV!" There is no part of that movie that didn't seem like a blast to be a part of. Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

Desert Island Movie:

The Time Machine (1960).

Where The Red Fern Grows.

There are many of these - Joe's Apartment, Airheads, Biodome etc.

Can't think of one I have been scared by, but I was once watching The Thing(1982) and dozed off just as the blood testing scene started. Needless to say that when he came to test Palmer's blood, the noise woke me with quite a shock..

The Time Machine(1960).

Desert Island Movie:

The Sting.

Macario.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

Inferno.

Donnie Darko.

• Like 1

Desert Island Movie:

Star Trek: First Contact

As a big Star Trek fan who grew up in the TNG era, I was blown away by First Contact. Not only is it one of the best stories in all Star Trek, it's one of my all time favorite movies across any genre.

Independence Day

Go ahead and laugh, but between the death of the first lady followed by President Whitmore's big inspirational speech, and the redeeming self-sacrifice of Russel Case; you'd have to be stone not to be moved. I always choke up at parts of Indepdence Day.

Wrongfully Accused

Leslie Nielsen's spoofs are divisive as it goes, but when you get into some of the post-Naked Gun ones, people downright hate them. Wrongfully Accused was so jam packed with jokes that if it its, its unrelenting. For me, it's non stop laughter.

Tremors/Dune

Laugh again if you must, but very few movies scared me when I was a kid. I'd laugh at serial killers, I'd scoff at alien abductions... but when it came to the idea of massive worm creatures that could just emerge from the Earth below and eat you: that put a shiver in my spine.

Demolition Man

Guns, explosions, futuristic cars and Sandra Bullock at her cutest. Plus you get to hit Wesley Snipes

and say "You're on TV!" There is no part of that movie that didn't seem like a blast to be a part of.

I like these answers even if a couple of them made me laugh. ;)

It's not a movie that I like all too much but I understand the Demolition Man listing.

Desert Island Movie:

Point Break: Keanu Reeves/ Gary Busey version not the 2015 stupid remake...So I could learn to make a surfboard, learn to surf to get off that damn island. Plus learn to either rob banks or become an FBI agent once I get back

Roadhouse: When Dalton fired Steve for banging that chick while on break, well.......That actually happened to me once.

Against All Odds: Hairy Jeff Bridges is running around Mexico with no shirt on searching for some spoiled rich broad. Skinny James Woods plays a bookie who gets to pro football players. I mean come on, Bridges even drops Alex Karras in a pit in Mexico after killing him at the ruins of Tulum. Seriously, what coked out screenwriter came up with this trash?? But somehow you love it but at the same time want the movie to end as fast as possible. Plus you get Phil Collins music and Kid Creole and the Coconuts.....WINNER

The Fly: Jeff Goldblum Bugged Eyed Version: Ok, this is true, when I was in high school, my sister rented The Fly, I just happened to have a bad stomach flu that had not kicked in yet, well, lets just say it decided to kick in right when Geena Davis has the Fly baby...I threw up for 3 days, have not, will not ever, ever, watch this film again. It scares me that much....

St. Elmo's Fire...DUH, Does anyone read my profile?????

• Like 1

Roadhouse: When Dalton fired Steve for banging that chick while on break, well.......That actually happened to me once.

10 points just for mentioning that scene.

----------

"You're gonna be my regular Saturday night."

----------

"I was on my break."

"Stay on it."

----------

((Superhot blonde topless, bending over, and badly acting embarassed))

• Like 1

----------

----------

"I was on my break."

"Stay on it."

----------

You are like me Blaze I remember the scenes that most people forget....HA

• Like 1

Desert Island Movie: To Kill a Mockingbird

First Movie that Made You Cry: Sounder

Film that I Love that Everyone Hates: Bronco Billy

Movie that Scares Me Most: Night of the Living Dead

Film I Would Have Liked to Have Starred In: Braveheart

• Like 1

----------

----------

"I was on my break."

"Stay on it."

----------

You are like me Blaze I remember the scenes that most people forget....HA

Haha!

My older bros and I STILL quote that wonderfully stupid movie. In fact, I change my mind about the movie I'd like to star in! I wanna be Swayze in Road House! Action packed, hopping on hot babes, working with cool dudes like Sam Elliot, dumb script lines! It'd be like paradise! :LOL:

My bros & I also do the Gary Busey line from Point Break too..."Gimme two Utah! Two!"

• Like 1

I don't know the answers to the OP questions but five films in no particular order that are important to me.

Star Wars...when it was just called Star Wars.

Over the Edge...I was a teen when this movie hit pay cable TV.

Vanishing Point...I'm a Mopar gear head Challenger lover

The Godfather parts one and two...you gotta problem with that?

Saving Private Ryan...I'm an amateur WWII historian.

• Like 1