Make MetallicA Great Again

grep

Myself, I'd like to see more or a return to the biting and political stuff like MOP and AJ4A which I think are their pinnacle of songwriting and production (and just a dash of prog). Not taking away from the first 2 records... classic groundbreaking thrash.

What came later? Meh. Even the Black Album... as commercially successful as it was, it was the beginning of the descent.

Discuss.

I am of the small crowd who thinks they never released a truly bad set of songs. Albums? Yes. St. Anger sounds awful. But the songs are better than many give them credit for, especially live.

Load and Reload are good albums. Death Magnetic is possibly a great album. The self-titled is brilliant, even if it is a step down from Master Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All (the latter is my favourite).

Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning are fantastic.

• Like 4

Lars wears a little scarf everywhere he goes now.

There is no saving them at this point in time.

• Like 2

NEVER DISRESPECT SCARVES!

I have around sixty and I am AWESOME!

• Like 3

Load and Reload are you kidding me? Theres like half a great album in there.

St. Anger is a pile of sh*te.

Magnetic needs a remaster. Looking forward to see if they can pull any bottom end out of Justice. I love that album regardless.

• Like 3

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/146579227-metallica-drummer-danish-lars-ulrich-arrives-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QQSo5vWuUXXk7qnArGjwmNMXjarq55NuKuUcUFqTksxJuM29H43wTeOFdWA8P27cPQ%3D%3D

• Like 5

Load and Reload are you kidding me? Theres like half a great album in there.

St. Anger is a pile of sh*te.

Magnetic needs a remaster. Looking forward to see if they can pull any bottom end out of Justice. I love that album regardless.

Erm well that's what most say but I don't.

But I would say DM urgently needs remastering.

• Like 1

Supposedly the Rock Band version of DM sounds much better.... Remember reading a few years back that someone pulled the tracks out of the game and did a side by side comparison with the CD.

Supposedly the Rock Band version of DM sounds much better.... Remember reading a few years back that someone pulled the tracks out of the game and did a side by side comparison with the CD.

Any way of hearing these without having the game?

James lost his edge.

The troll is like a little noisy chihuahua making constant noise.

Kirk is just trying to not get fired.

The bass player is literally barely one step up from the road crew.

Not a recipe for greatness.

They've got too much money and are too happy and content now to every be great again. They need to still have that youthful aggression and angst in them in order to do something like Lightning, Puppets or Justice again. Unfortunately, their massive success has caused them to lose all of that. The best you'll get from them now in that regard is a fake pissed off album like St. Anger but most of the fans saw right through that facade.

I'm not saying they don't have some passion for what they do anymore, it's obvious when you see them live that they still do. And Death Magnetic with all its production issues is a very good album. So they can still write good stuff and James Hetfield will always be able to write good riffs. But they will never be great again because at this point, they don't really have to be anymore.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I'd see them live if I had the chance. I like some of their newer material. It doesn't all have to be "classic" Metallica to hold value.
  • Like 3

They've completely lost what made them great...for me, the first four albums are what it's all about, though even AJFA saw the start of the decline.

You really had to be there...I was lucky enough to see them on the MOP and AJFA supporting tours, and they were on fire then, completely different from the pale shadows I saw a few years back.

Enough with all the eight and nine minute songs. They don't have enough interesting ideas to fill those out any more. The song lengths on St. Anger are ridiculous with how repetitive (and just plain bad) the songs are, and Death Magnetic is pretty good but still a chore to get through.