Tragically Hip's Gordon Downie has cancer...

sullysue

I thought they were just an alternative Canadian band. This is all over cnn and Rolling Stone now. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tragically-hip-singer-gord-downie-diagnosed-with-terminal-brain-cancer-20160524 http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/24/entertainment/gord-downie-tragically-hip-cancer/ Edited by Boots

:( I'm at a loss for words.

If I die of vanity, promise me, promise me

If they bury me some place I don't want to be

You'll dig me up and transport me, unceremoniously

Away from the swollen city breeze, garbage bag trees

Whispers of disease and the acts of enormity

And lower me slowly and sadly and properly

Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy

• Like 3

:( I'm at a loss for words.

If I die of vanity, promise me, promise me

If they bury me some place I don't want to be

You'll dig me up and transport me, unceremoniously

Away from the swollen city breeze, garbage bag trees

Whispers of disease and the acts of enormity

And lower me slowly and sadly and properly

Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy

Only way is to sing through this terrible news...

Singing Hundredth Meridian now...

:(

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

I heard that the cancer is in an area that directly affects speech. The chemo and radiation reduced it in size and he has a window of opportunity where he can still sing. This has really made me sad.

They added 4 more dates to the tour. I'm just wondering if Gord will have the strength and energy to play so many nights. He is dying after all. Edited by Boots

I wasn't sure about travelling for this show, then yesterday they announced four more shows, including one on my birthday. There is no way I'm missing it.

I agree. I am driving from NYC area to Ottawa. After about ten US small venue shows over the years, I would really like to get the full arena experience with so many Hip fans. The emotion will be very unique .

They added 4 more dates to the tour. I'm just wondering if Gord will have the strength and energy to play so many nights. He is dying after all.

Very courageous of Gord to want to do these shows. It's only 15 shows with days off in between all, and mostly multiple shows per city. His Dr seems confident he is healthy now for them. Seems Gord wants to see Canada at least one more time.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

The Hip once opened for Rush. I did not know that. When I saw Rush in 2007, There was no opening act (thank God).

The Hip once opened for Rush a long time ago. I did not know that. When I saw Rush in 2007, there was no opening act.

Neil Peart asked them to open for Rush on the Roll The Bones tour in an attempt to make them big in the U.S. but they turned it down because they were promoting Road Apples and writing Fully Completely.

Neil Peart asked them to open for Rush on the Roll The Bones tour in an attempt to make them big in the U.S. but they turned it down because they were promoting Road Apples and writing Fully Completely.

They probably didn't want to be labeled exclusively Canadian touring with another Canadian band, because they toured with Page-Plant here in the 90s. Not sure they are compatible fully with the Rush crowd. Now if Neil Young called...

They probably didn't want to be labeled exclusively Canadian touring with another Canadian band, because they toured with Page-Plant here in the 90s. Not sure they are compatible fully with the Rush crowd. Now if Neil Young called...

That's what happens when you go to Counterparts. Don't believe anything you see or hear from there. LOL :)

The Hip once opened for Rush a long time ago. I did not know that. When I saw Rush in 2007, there was no opening act.

That's what I get for going to Counterparts. I have been misinformed.