Star Trek: Beyond -- 2nd Trailer

Principled Man

It seems that the makers of Star Trek: Beyond are rewriting Sulu as a gay character.

George Takei, the original Sulu from the Original Series, is not happy with the change. I agree with him. It's a blatant attempt by the writers to advance a specific social/political agenda.

Film makers these days are so full of themselves......

I agree. Why show him with a love interest at all?? Facts are facts and Sulu's just a helmsmen in the end (OH MY!)

Take that extra time and focus on telling a great story instead!*

*And take that Spock / Uhura nonsense out while they're at it.

It's not even a subplot to the movie, it's a line of dialog or two.

After debating Sulu let's debate this: http://screenrant.com/worst-characters-in-star-trek/

I agree with a lot on that list.

- Wesley Crusher...was guaranteed to be my #1 so it's good to see him listed in that prime spot.

- John Harrison Khan...that movie is the reason the new Trek movie will be the first that I won't see in the cinemas. Utter garbage. He should've been #2!

- Guinan...never seemed believable. I always saw Whoopi and not the character herself.

-Reg...uselessness personified. Waste of time. Waste of script. He was even too useless to be 100% annoying.

-Neelix...annoying salamander

It seems that the makers of Star Trek: Beyond are rewriting Sulu as a gay character.

George Takei, the original Sulu from the Original Series, is not happy with the change. I agree with him. It's a blatant attempt by the writers to advance a specific social/political agenda.

Film makers these days are so full of themselves......

I agree. Why show him with a love interest at all?? Facts are facts and Sulu's just a helmsmen in the end (OH MY!)

Take that extra time and focus on telling a great story instead!*

*And take that Spock / Uhura nonsense out while they're at it.

It's not even a subplot to the movie, it's a line of dialog or two.

I heard they changed the line of "Captain, the shields are down to 42%!" to "Captain, nice ass!"

After debating Sulu let's debate this: http://screenrant.co...s-in-star-trek/

- Wesley Crusher...was guaranteed to be my #1 so it's good to see him listed in that prime spot.

- John Harrison Khan...that movie is the reason the new Trek movie will be the first that I won't see in the cinemas. Utter garbage. He should've been #2!

- Guinan...never seemed believable. I always saw Whoopi and not the character herself.

-Reg...uselessness personified. Waste of time. Waste of script. He was even too useless to be 100% annoying.

Oh no! Guinan I actually really thought brought a lot to the TNG table. "Mr. Broccoli" is another story!

From the page:

"As history shows, creating a beloved Trek character isn’t exactly easy. For every Data, Odo or Picard, there’s… well, the entire cast of Enterprise"

I'd agree with this except that I do think Trip was a good character on ENT, likely the only one. VOY is chock full of useless characters most disappointly Chakotay. A First Officer is supposed to be friggin' awesome (see: Riker, Kira, even Spock!). Chakotay sucked ass!

Underrated characters that I like:

Completely disagree on Chakotay. He was my favorite First Officer of all. Where Spock was logical, and Riker was hard-nosed, Chakotay took a softer approach; acting more as a moral compass and foil to Janeway, than as a raw executive. He took the role of first officer to a higher place, doing more to unite the two crews of Voyager than anyone else.

Also completely disagree on Neelix. Neelix was a fully developed, complete character. His chipper, sometimes annoying demeanor makes sense, as he's lived a very hard life- surviving as one of the last of his species- and now finds himself among a loving family and a well provisioned existence. He brings humor and levity though the darkness of the Delta Quadrant.

Barclay is another favorite of mine. He's a reminder that not every skilled and competent technition is also a diplomat and social expert- even in the 24th century. Star Trek is a fanbase of people who are usually not the most socially skilled to begin with, and Reg was a great bit of outreach to those of us who do get nervous and clumbsy in those situations. A reminder that there's a place for all of us in Starfleet.

Guinan did a great job playing the mystique and unknown of impish wisdom... but almost too much. It's like, you knew about the Borg, you knew about Q, you knew about Time Travel, you knew about the Nexus... Why didn't you say anything until now? I know- her species is one of 'listeners', more than talkers, but come on... some of this is pertinent.

I'm dismayed to see Q on this list. Give me a break. One of the greatest semi-villains of all time. An omnipotent character who finds a challenge in humanity is a fantastic concept. John De Lancie played Q with bravado and humor all the while, adding a ton of color to the universe of Star Trek. He should be on a 'best characters' list.

Doctor Pulaski... this one really frosts my galvanator. Pulaski was an excellent doctor. She brought a very real human touch to the show, demonstrating the traditional Starfleet skill (being an exceptionally good doctor and surgeon) alongside a very strong and sometimes flawed human nature (bigotry against Data, stubbornness, lack of respect for authority). She challenged Picard unlike anyone else, and was a much bigger personality than the oft invisible Doctor Crusher.

Now for characters I dislike:

Wesley Crusher... I don't hate on Wesley like a lot of people do, but it is kind of an annoyance to see him fill the role of Mary Sue so often. The best things about Wesler were 'what is was' rather than 'what he did'. Wesley's relationship with Picard is unique and special, and gets a lot of very intricate development. Beyond that, he should've been in the background a lot more than he was. He saved the day way too often.

Kira. Possibly my all time least favorite Trek main character. Major Kira's pompous, humorless, demeanor was annoying from the get-go. It's heartbreaking that she was brought in late to fill the role that was intended for Michelle Forbes as Ro Laren (an awesome, genuinely badass character), who didn't want the full time role. The fact that this frumpy 90lb woman routinely threw around 200lb Cardassians like ragdolls also pissed me off regularly. There was nothing about this character that didn't aggravate me.

There was something about Tuvok that really used to piss me off. And I think it was the emotion that showed through his Vulcan exterior. Where Spock did a great job playing cold and even, Tuvok burned a little hotter. His constant frustration with Neelix was fine for comedy, but it made his character seem so much less objective. I really disliked Tuvok when I was younger, but as I've rewatched Voyager, I warmed up to him a little bit more. He even has one of the more touching moments in the series, at the end of the episode Homestead.

I can't really say I hate the character of Captain Archer, as much as I hate the way he was portrayed. Scott Bakula was stiff, uneven, and unworthy of the Captain's seat. I appreciated the characterizations that the writers imbued in the character, but the delivery was just pitiful. I would love to have seen what another actor could've done with this role... I've always thought Mark Harmon wold've been a great choice.

Malcolm Reed. A character so devoid of personality, that they used his lack of personality as a plot device on more than one occasion. I guess that's ok. I've known real people who's biggest personality trait is their lack of personality... but I wouldn't put any of these people on Star Trek. I will say this- as much of a pain in the ass as he was, at least he seemed a little more believable than some.

I'm not going to get into JJ Trek.

Edited by KenJennings

Oh no! Guinan I actually really thought brought a lot to the TNG table. "Mr. Broccoli" is another story!

From the page:

"As history shows, creating a beloved Trek character isn’t exactly easy. For every Data, Odo or Picard, there’s… well, the entire cast of Enterprise"

I'd agree with this except that I do think Trip was a good character on ENT, likely the only one. VOY is chock full of useless characters most disappointly Chakotay. A First Officer is supposed to be friggin' awesome (see: Riker, Kira, even Spock!). Chakotay sucked ass!

What do you mean, "even" Spock? He's the blue print for a first officer.

Chakotay was ok I guess. To be honest, I think it was the show that wasn't very exciting to me more than any particular character. Really, the most exiting bit on there was 7 of 9's ass.

• Like 1

I thought Guinan and especially Q shouldn't be on that list at all.

Harry Kim should be, as well as half of ENT.

Even as much as I love DS9 I have to admit from maybe S5 and on the character of Jake Sisko got pretty dull. There's a scene I remember from the otherwise excellent "Rocks and Shoals" from S6 where he's in with Odo and Kira and doing his whole "Hey, I'm a journalist!" schtick and basically being this giant asshole to the people who helped raise him. Bleh.

They should have sent him off to Bajor like they sent Wesley off during TNG S4 (not counting his return as the Traveller 2.0 later). I too am not on the Wesley bandwagon of hate, KJ.

From the page:

What do you mean, "even" Spock? He's the blue print for a first officer.

Chakotay was ok I guess. To be honest, I think it was the show that wasn't very exciting to me more than any particular character. Really, the most exiting bit on there was 7 of 9's ass.

I probably should have said 'especially' Spock :D

I agree. My favorite VOY characters are basically everybody elses: Seven, The Doctor, and Tuvok.

Here's a 'Best Of' list I'll just pull out of my ass, taking all the shows (minus ENT, which I can't stand) into account.

The CREME DE LE CREME, if you will.

1) Picard

2) Data

3) Odo

4) Quark

5) Bones

6) The Doctor

7) Seven of Nine

8) Garak

9) Worf

10) Spock

Edited for ommision of TOS guys, d'oh!

Edited by Del_Duio

Here's a 'Best Of' list I'll just pull out of my ass, taking all the shows (minus ENT, which I can't stand) into account.

1) Picard

2) Data

3) Odo

4) Quark

5) O'Brien

6) The Doctor

7) Seven of Nine

8) Garak

9) Worf

10) Riker

None of the original series' characters?!

1) Picard

2) Data

3) Odo

4) Quark

5) O'Brien

6) The Doctor

7) Seven of Nine

8) Garak

9) Worf

10) Riker

None of the original series' characters?!

Oh holy shit, how could I forget??!

Please add Bones and Spock to that list. Kirk was awesome too, but out of TOS those guys were always my favorite.

Early reviews of the new movie are supposedly overwhelmingly positive.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, but no matter how good or bad it is, it's not going to be my Star Trek.

I'll see it Monday the 25th then decide whether it is Star Trek at all.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing it, but no matter how good or bad it is, it's not going to be my Star Trek.

Do you consider the other two flicks Star Trek?

I too am not on the Wesley bandwagon of hate, KJ.

It's not a bandwagon if people truly hate him. I know I do. I hated him when he first appeared all those years back before the internet. Everyone I knew back then hated him too.

Give some haters credit for their genuine hate.

Star Trek 2009? Yes. Wrath of Khan 2014? No, it's a nice Star Wars movie.

• Like 1

What makes one Trek and the other not Trek? Level of shittiness?

Same here, I'm taking my daughter who's now into Trek like me :D

I don't want to read any reviews and have it spoiled for me. I heard the 3rd trailer w/ Rhinana spoils something so I purposely didn't watch that.

Overwhelmingly positive sounds like a good start!

I thought it was OK, if you can get past how they respelled the Klingon homeworld. And reused Khan only not nearly as effectively. And ripped off, raped, and pooped all over ST2.

I admit though the 'evil starship' looks pretty badass. And they did have Section 31 in it, which was a nice shout out to DS9.

The JJ movies are generic sci fi in Star Trek colors. That doesn't mean they're necessarily bad. Trek 2009 was ok, ST:ID was awful. I'm hoping the new one is good, but ultimately... I doubt it's going to be "Star Trek".

Exactly the way I feel about his work. Very generic.