Thin Lizzy's Scott Gorham Tells Great Rush Story

Lucas

Rush were dressed as characters from the late-'50's American sitcom Leave It To Beaver: guitarist Alex Lifeson as dad Ward Cleaver, his long hair slicked back, wearing a smoking jacket; bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee as mom June Cleaver, hair in pigtails, wearing a floral-print night dress; and drummer Neil Peart as son 'Beaver' Cleaver, in school uniform

How I would love to see just one photo - one blurry Polaroid .. something .. anything

Interesting that Neil was Beaver and Alex was Ward - I would have guessed the other way around .. I suppose that just added to the surreal quality ..

( notice how I make no mention of Geddy as June Cleaver ? )

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/760417story.htm

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 6

Interesting. One of four dates Rush played on the same bill with Thin Lizzy in '75-'76. Would have loved to see any of those shows, of course. Gimme some Whisky in a Jar any day. I didn't remember anything about the third band, Starcastle. They apparently haled from Champaign IL (where I went to law school), played a prog, highly Yes-like style, and in '73-'80 they opened for a bunch of famous acts - Nugent, Boston, Journey, Styx, Tull, Foreigner, Todd Rundgren, Gary Wright, etc.

Just listened to Starcastle's Lady of the Lake on Youtube and man, "Yes-like" is polite. More like "can't-ape-a-band-any-more-than-this-Jon-Anderson-should-sue."

The laid-back Californian had witnessed some shocking sights during his tenure in Thin Lizzy. Some of it, he says, 'went beyond human boundaries'. But what Rush had in store for him was simply weird. It was a couple of hours after the show had ended when Gorham heard a knock at the door of his hotel room. Loaded on booze and weed, and busy entertaining two local girls, he cautiously opened the door and peered out. When Gorham saw the three figures standing outside, he nearly dropped his spliff.

The most shocking fact...

There was an entire era when Neil didn't sprint for the exit and actually hung around after the show!

• Like 2

The laid-back Californian had witnessed some shocking sights during his tenure in Thin Lizzy. Some of it, he says, 'went beyond human boundaries'. But what Rush had in store for him was simply weird. It was a couple of hours after the show had ended when Gorham heard a knock at the door of his hotel room. Loaded on booze and weed, and busy entertaining two local girls, he cautiously opened the door and peered out. When Gorham saw the three figures standing outside, he nearly dropped his spliff.

The most shocking fact...

There was an entire era when Neil didn't sprint for the exit and actually hung around after the show!

Neil is even a snob with his own band members!