Jump to content


The Gush Over Rush Thread


  • Please log in to reply
1037 replies to this topic

#981 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42280 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 12 May 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

Not sure who that is, but here's the link for the thread where I found the information:

http://www.therushfo...gnatures-index/

You probably get emotional during that part of the song because some part of you knows that that was the last truly epic moment of Rush musical interplay, at least on vinyl, for a long long time.  Just my theory.  They have a little freak-out moment later in Mission, but it's not really comparable.

It's sounds so poignant to me.  I can't explain it, and I can't think of a better word to describe it.

Sponsored Post

#982 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5898 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostLorraine, on 12 May 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 12 May 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

Not sure who that is, but here's the link for the thread where I found the information:

http://www.therushfo...gnatures-index/

You probably get emotional during that part of the song because some part of you knows that that was the last truly epic moment of Rush musical interplay, at least on vinyl, for a long long time.  Just my theory.  They have a little freak-out moment later in Mission, but it's not really comparable.

It's sounds so poignant to me.  I can't explain it, and I can't think of a better word to describe it.

It builds up, too, which is part of what I like about it.  Lifeson's guitar sounds really cool, too, and he's doing lots of those little pinch-harmonic squeal things.

#983 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 931 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

View PostMystic Slipperman, on 09 May 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 09 May 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

View PostMystic Slipperman, on 09 May 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

View PostBrucey, on 08 May 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 08 May 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

View PostBrucey, on 08 May 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

Three older gentlemen shred:



I love that song and i love that part.

The BEST (to me at least) is the one from the R40 LA show.  I think I posted it already in this thread.

I agree that is the best one. I really like the official R40 version as well. Geddy says it's his favourite to play live and you can really tell, he does things on that bass guitar that shouldn't be allowed, especially at his age! And he's still improving at it, which is miraculous

Yep. Agreed too.  It was intense.

I remember so much about that final show. DAMN!

You were there?  You're so fortunate.  A night to remember always.   It must have been incredible.  But I would have fallen apart when it was over. Especially since that meant that this time, it really was all over for good.  It wasn't just the end of a tour.  It was the end of Rush.

Yes... I was at the last 2 shows... Irvine and LA.  It was very emotional for a lot of reasons.. My marriage had ended, tickets had been bought prior to that happening. So, in addition to watching one of my all time favorite bands play their last shows, I was going through all kinds of other grieving.  My ex had already moved out of state by the time the shows happened.

Wow that was a lot things to be going through, glad you got to see those shows.  I remember watching that LA show on Periscope and it was priceless.  I cried when Neil came out from behind the drums, I knew that was the last show :musicnote: :boohoo:

#984 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 931 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostBrucey, on 09 May 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

Gushing over an underrated track



I absolutely love Carnies!! :heart: :ebert: :yay:   Such a great tune, love the bit where each one comes in and lays down the bridge line over each other... :yes: :rush:

#985 Brucey

Brucey

    Babycat's Nemesis

  • Members *
  • 8904 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

Rude Geddy at 3:40

http://youtu.be/WJoTxywiRG0?t=220

#986 Brucey

Brucey

    Babycat's Nemesis

  • Members *
  • 8904 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:41 PM



#987 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42280 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

Big party tomorrow.

One year anniversary of this gush thread.

50 pages - not great, but not bad.

#988 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 791 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canberra, Australia
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:58 AM

So, do we need more gushing?  I find these days when I listen to Rush, I start listening to, say, Geddy's bass and want to stick with it. Then Alex's guitar oozes into my brain and joins in and then all of a sudden the drums are there. The individuals all become one entity and I get lost in the complexity of it. They are so damn good. And then the lyrics transport me. I have a dear friend who has visited me 3 times in the last 8 months and each time I'm deeper into Rush and full of trivia and I keep suggesting we watch live performances on TV. He is a Rush fan too, just not to my level.

#989 Disk98

Disk98

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3925 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

Wait, Lorraine!  Have we forgotten about the prom?

#990 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42280 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

View PostDisk98, on 20 May 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Wait, Lorraine!  Have we forgotten about the prom?

Oh, dear friend, no, but there was such a lack of interest in the last one that any further efforts to get one off the ground were hopelessly dashed.  :(

But today is the one year anniversary of this gush thread!  :)


Posted Image

Edited by Lorraine, 20 May 2017 - 10:49 AM.


#991 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42280 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostLorraine, on 20 May 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

Let's gush over Rush!  :)

We can gush over a particular song or songs.

We can gush here about anything Rush.

I will gush about Xanadu right now.  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I haven't listened to the song in a few weeks now.  Someone mentioned the bootleg St. Louis '80 in the bootleg section.  I remembered not caring much for the bootleg, but dug it out to listen to it again, and am I ever glad that I did.  :banana: :cheerleader: :yay: :yes:

Xanadu is perfection.

TSOR is perfection.

Natural Science is perfection.

In fact, I will go so far as to say this bootleg sounds better than Exit...Stage Left or even R40.  The sound is crystal clear and precise and concise and crisp.

A computerized clinic for superior cynics   :lol:   That Neil!  He sure can coin a phrase or two.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's all for now.  I'm think of more to gush about.

I think I'll dig out the St. Louis boot and give a listen today.

#992 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42280 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

Too lazy to dig around for it here.  

So I found it on youtube instead.



#993 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

In honour of this thread's first anniversary, here is 2112 from the Saratoga Springs show in 2010.  It was two years since my Rush Summer of 2008, and I didn't yet know that the magic was real and not something unrepeatable from a phase of my life that was over.  We had only planned to go to the New Jersey show, but I having a hard time with some things and my husband decided the night before the gig that I needed to be cheered up.  Putting together tickets and the road trip at the last minute presented some challenges and adventures, but we persevered.  These challenges and adventures made us a little late getting to the show, so we missed most of the intro film, but we made it to our seats just before the music started.  The first of many amazing moments at this gig was hearing the first notes of "The Spirit Of Radio" and thinking "Yes, oh yes, here we are again."  

The tickets we got were for special box seats at the very back of the orchestra section that included parking and a buffet spread in the clubhouse.  It was the last time those tickets would ever be that affordable.  With the documentary coming out later that year, and Clockwork Angels after that, Rush became a much hotter (read, pricier!) ticket.  I didn't have earplugs, which was little bit of a problem during the first set.  A special fan moment from that gig for me was going to the merch stand at intermission in hopes they had some (they didn't), and having a guy who was walking by overhear me.  He said "Oh, I've got some extras!"  We stepped to the side and he gave them to me, then we raved about Rush together until his wife came looking for him.  Another special fan moment from that gig was when I was walking with my husband and going on about how wonderful the show was, and how "they're beautiful, so beautiful, they're just so amazingly beautiful, these grand old men," and a guy who was walking near us overhearing that and looking at me and giving me the most delighted sympatico grin ever.

:rush:: The love of my musical life!



#994 workingthemangels63

workingthemangels63

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:southside va
  • Interests:music,tv,reading,hiking,my kids and grandkids,beautiful women2

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

i am gushing about the manhattan project. i am a history buff,it is really an acurate description of what happened.also think red sector a is a great story told through geddy,s mom to neil. they never get the credit they deserve.

#995 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

    Vapor Trail

  • Members *
  • 18664 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sweden
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

View Postworkingthemangels63, on 20 May 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

i am gushing about the manhattan project. i am a history buff,it is really an acurate description of what happened.also think red sector a is a great story told through geddy,s mom to neil. they never get the credit they deserve.

I am serious, can you stop using MY photo!!!

#996 Empty Mindless Spectre

Empty Mindless Spectre

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 753 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Newark, Delaware
  • Interests:RUSH, Fishing, Hockey, Fantasy Football

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

For me, there are two general categories of music:

1 - Rush
2 - Other stuff.

Yes, I do like other music. But there is no other music that will make me stop in my tracks and command my full attention any time I hear it. I can be at a social event, engrossed in conversation with an interesting person I've just met - and then I hear a Rush song playing and suddenly completely lose focus on the conversation as my attention is involuntarily diverted to the music I hear in the background. It can be embarrassing, but I can't help it!

#997 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

View PostEmpty Mindless Spectre, on 23 May 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

For me, there are two general categories of music:

1 - Rush
2 - Other stuff.

Yes, I do like other music. But there is no other music that will make me stop in my tracks and command my full attention any time I hear it. I can be at a social event, engrossed in conversation with an interesting person I've just met - and then I hear a Rush song playing and suddenly completely lose focus on the conversation as my attention is involuntarily diverted to the music I hear in the background. It can be embarrassing, but I can't help it!

I've had this happen too. It's hard to explain to people who aren't fans how much the band means to you. It's kind of like seeing someone you love across a crowded room. Nothing else matters at that moment.

#998 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 23 May 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

View PostEmpty Mindless Spectre, on 23 May 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

For me, there are two general categories of music:

1 - Rush
2 - Other stuff.

Yes, I do like other music. But there is no other music that will make me stop in my tracks and command my full attention any time I hear it. I can be at a social event, engrossed in conversation with an interesting person I've just met - and then I hear a Rush song playing and suddenly completely lose focus on the conversation as my attention is involuntarily diverted to the music I hear in the background. It can be embarrassing, but I can't help it!

I've had this happen too. It's hard to explain to people who aren't fans how much the band means to you. It's kind of like seeing someone you love across a crowded room. Nothing else matters at that moment.

So it's not just me :D

#999 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

    From Genesis to Armageddon

  • Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 12 May 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 12 May 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 12 May 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

Not sure who that is, but here's the link for the thread where I found the information:

http://www.therushfo...gnatures-index/

You probably get emotional during that part of the song because some part of you knows that that was the last truly epic moment of Rush musical interplay, at least on vinyl, for a long long time.  Just my theory.  They have a little freak-out moment later in Mission, but it's not really comparable.

It's sounds so poignant to me.  I can't explain it, and I can't think of a better word to describe it.

It builds up, too, which is part of what I like about it.  Lifeson's guitar sounds really cool, too, and he's doing lots of those little pinch-harmonic squeal things.

That's the end of Alex's solo going back into "Love to spend the night in Zion", right? :)  

Power.

#1000 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42280 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

No.  The part from 3:21 to 3:52.

Technically you are right though. :cool:  But only that part (3:21 to 3:52) makes me tear up.

Edited by Lorraine, 23 May 2017 - 04:59 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users