The Gush Over Rush Thread

• Please log in to reply
1037 replies to this topic

#41 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21765 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostLucas, on 21 May 2016 - 01:29 AM, said:

I'm going to gush over Tears

We all know that 2112 is one of the greatest albums of all time, and the first thing that comes to mind with 2112 is the epic, Ayn Rand influenced title track that launched one of single most identifiable logos of all time in The Starman, brought Rush back from the dead and forever after gave them free reign in the studio ..

But 2112 is not just one song

Tears is the perfect Side Two song - understated, emotional and very moving and I wish the ending was only the beginning -

TEN MORE MINUTES OF TEARS !!!!!!

It IS a beautiful song.

Sponsored Post

#42 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

This thread makes me happy.  -----------> :)

I have to finish cleaning our mansion. :unsure:  Then I shall come back and gush some more. :codger:  

When it comes to Rush, there is a lot to gush about. :wub:

But before I forget to mention this:  GM, you might want to watch the video of LaVilla from that Time Machine boot I was watching last  night.  Geddy turns around and faces Neil at one point in the song for about a minute or so and does some - erm - interesting movements.  :cool:

#43 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 21 May 2016 - 12:51 AM, said:

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 20 May 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

How does Geddy afford all those basses?

WE paid for those basses.  :)

That's a good one.  Very true.  Everything they have has been paid for by their loyal fans.

#44 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9821 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:56 AM

While this thread is a good idea, I also find it kind of sad that we need a thread like this instead of having the whole Rush section full of gushing like it used to be when I joined.

#45 DirkPrattLerxst

DirkPrattLerxst

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1139 posts
  • Interests:Professional air bassist/drummer/guitarist

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 21 May 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

While this thread is a good idea, I also find it kind of sad that we need a thread like this instead of having the whole Rush section full of gushing like it used to be when I joined.
^^^ too true

#46 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

Please.

Don't throw a monkey wrench into this thread.

#47 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21765 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

View PostLorraine, on 21 May 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

Please.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

#48 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

I want to gush about Working Man in LA - the last R40 show.

Alex gave his all in that one.  Anything he had left, he poured himself into that guitar solo.  I have most of the audio boots from that tour, and he didn't do Working Man in any one of them like he did in LA.

And Geddy - I have watched the video of that song many times and a few different tapers' versions.  I'd love to know what was going through his mind.  There is no doubt he was emotional about it being the last show of the tour and the possibility of it being the last show Rush ever did again.

#49 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9821 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

View PostLorraine, on 21 May 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

Please.

That wasn't my intention. Just an observation I had.

#50 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

GM, I have three audios from that April 8, 2011 show.   One is Tapehead2's.  Anything she does it top quality.  We owe her a lot.  

And I have three videos from that show.

What a find!  A real treasure.

#51 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

Watching it now, GM, and thinking of you in the audience.  :)

#52 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

Geddy must have his t-shirts custom made.   They always fit him perfectly.

#53 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9821 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostLorraine, on 21 May 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

Geddy must have his t-shirts custom made.   They always fit him perfectly.

He always seems to stay in good shape as well. Which no doubt helps when it comes to getting shirts to fit right.

#54 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1417 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:36 PM

View PostLorraine, on 20 May 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

View PostWil1972, on 20 May 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

View PostDay of Light, on 20 May 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

Gush over Rush. :lol:

If I had to gush then I'd start by saying that every song on Grace Under Pressure is beautiful. There's a certain mood to the whole album... very adult in a way that their previous albums weren't, particularly. It doesn't make a lot of sense to other people when I try explaining it, but it's a romantic album. I love everything Alex does on Red Sector A. I love Geddy's voice from Signals to Presto, but especially the way he sounds on GUP. Such a pretty vibrato!

Not a super huge fan of GuP and I trace that back to the production. Because all of the live versions I have heard from that period sound vastly better than the album versions. BUT I will say that I really dig The Enemy Within and Distant Early Warning. I think had Broon or Peter Collins at the board, GuP would have been a much better sounding album. It is a shame cause there are a few really good tunes there to work with. Kid Gloves and The Body Electric are cool too.

As for gushing ... well where do I start? I guess I will gush over VT! The remixed version is my go-to version of the album now and my wife and I can pop it in on a car drive and run through the entire album. The only tracks I do not dig are Peaceable Kingdom and Freeze. Everything else I have played a million times it seems. Just a really on fire record. The heavy Rush had returned! No keyboards! (not that I hate them but it was nice to hear the album without them.) Ceiling Unlimited, Vapor Trail, Nocturne, How it Is ... Good good stuff.

Will, what live versions do you think are better than the album (Grace Under Pressure, not VT)?

Red Sector A definitely. Not a fan of the album version. Its a bit lifeless IMO. But live it, well, comes alive. :)
The Enemy Within from the GuP DVD is better than the album version to me.

#55 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1417 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

View PostDay of Light, on 20 May 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 20 May 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

If I had to gush then I'd start by saying that every song on Grace Under Pressure is beautiful. There's a certain mood to the whole album... very adult in a way that their previous albums weren't, particularly. It doesn't make a lot of sense to other people when I try explaining it, but it's a romantic album. I love everything Alex does on Red Sector A. I love Geddy's voice from Signals to Presto, but especially the way he sounds on GUP. Such a pretty vibrato!

Which songs in particular regarding his vibrato?  I agree he was a real triller back then.

I especially love how he sounds on Afterimage and The Enemy Within; his vibrato is very subtle (not operatic or anything, haha), but it's there. He colors his voice in a way that makes it sound lively, young, but intelligent. I can't get enough. :wub:

I agree Ged had found a good place for his voice in that era. Sort of a Roger Hodgsen kind of place. His voice was in good form between PeW and HYF.

#56 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1417 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

View PostDay of Light, on 20 May 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 20 May 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

Which songs in particular regarding his vibrato?  I agree he was a real triller back then.

I especially love how he sounds on Afterimage and The Enemy Within; his vibrato is very subtle (not operatic or anything, haha), but it's there. He colors his voice in a way that makes it sound lively, young, but intelligent. I can't get enough. :wub:

I agree Ged had found a good place for his voice in that era. Sort of a Roger Hodgsen kind of place. His voice was in good form between PeW and HYF.

#57 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1417 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

I paid for the one he played on Lakeside Park! :D

Edited by Wil1972, 21 May 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#58 Verena

Verena

Mood Lifter

• Members *
  • 15609 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

:lol:   So true!

View PostRick N. Backer, on 21 May 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

You skipped a bunch.  And added some you should have left off.  :)
:lol:

I had to, because it's the selection among so many already selected. But you know, I actually love 90% of what Rush does, even if not listed here.

No problem at all!  :cheers:

#59 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 21 May 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 21 May 2016 - 01:29 AM, said:

I'm going to gush over Tears

We all know that 2112 is one of the greatest albums of all time, and the first thing that comes to mind with 2112 is the epic, Ayn Rand influenced title track that launched one of single most identifiable logos of all time in The Starman, brought Rush back from the dead and forever after gave them free reign in the studio ..

But 2112 is not just one song

Tears is the perfect Side Two song - understated, emotional and very moving and I wish the ending was only the beginning -

TEN MORE MINUTES OF TEARS !!!!!!

It IS a beautiful song.
I agree.  It is one of the few Rush songs that could make me cry.  Isn't that the mellotron at the end of the song?

Did they ever do it live?

Edited by Lorraine, 21 May 2016 - 02:03 PM.

#60 Verena

Verena

Mood Lifter

• Members *
  • 15609 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

:wub: Most appreciated: Fly By Night - Caress of Steel - 2112 - A Farewell to Kings - Hemispheres - Permanent Waves - Moving Pictures - Signals - Grace Under Pressure - Power Windows - Hold You Fire - Feedback - Snakes and Arrows - Clockwork Angels.

:wacko: Not so appreciated: Rush - Test For Echo - Vapor Trails.

:boo hiss: Appreciate much less: Presto - Roll The Bones - Counterparts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users