I'm listening to Hemispheres right now.

And gushing.

Need a towel? :)

This part always gives me the chills:

I have memory and awareness

but I have no shape or form

As a disembodied spirit

I am dead and yet unborn

Yeah me too. Especially with the effect on his voice.

• Like 2

And gushing.

Hemispheres is like Led Zeppelin IV to me. If you take a long break from it, it's a real treat to come back to!

Book II forever

• Like 2

And gushing.

Need a towel? :)

This part always gives me the chills:

I have memory and awareness

but I have no shape or form

As a disembodied spirit

I am dead and yet unborn

That quiet part through to the end is the best part.

I'm going to gush over an unlikely Rush song, actually an instrumental. It's one that I've grown to love lately - Leave That Thing Alone.

I'm listening to the one right now from Great Woods & Summer Skies.

The drums on PeW... Some of my favorite ever committed to tape. Jacob's Ladder; Natural Science; Freewill... Damn.

And speaking of Freewill, that guitar solo really encapsulated the new Alex: the rhythm/lead hybrid was taking him to new places. He showed he could do both without the bottom falling out. And that foundation of bass, synth and drums fortified and supported his playing. He was no longer a Page/Hackett/Clapton clone, he was King Lerxst.

Freewill is another Rush song I never tire of listening to.

Alex became King Lerxst in Hemispheres.

Alex has always been and always will be King Lerxst.

• Like 1

Any given, soulful, melodic, chaotic Lerxst guitar solo. Just so atmospheric and inspiring. There's nobody like him. Awesome.

He's an amazing guitarrist who should be more recognized. Also a great person. :clap:

• Like 2

I just wanna Gush at Hold Your Fire right now!

I love the sensitiveness of most lyrics. They're connected to human nature and how to this world can be more beautiful.

How we can reach what we want and dream about. What we do affect and reflects on some others.

A dreamy realization in life.

It's really a hopeful album.

And I love it!

:rush:

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 3

The way the band's collective sense of humor contrasts with the 'seriousness' and precision of the music. Very cool.
  • Like 4

The way the band's collective sense of humor contrasts with the 'seriousness' and precision of the music. Very cool.

:yes:

Very well pointed.

An impressive music technique with feelings, abstract stuff and real things. A sense of the unique.

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

I just wanna Gush at Hold Your Fire right now!

I slowly went from loving a third of HYF to loving nine-tenths of it. It now adorns my forum sig for some amount of time. :)

♫♫♫

• Like 1

It should come as no surprise to anyone how much I love Signals, so I'll try not to go overboard. Shill for Signals is basically my catchphrase.

Signals is perfection. It holds a very special place in my heart, even though I never personally experienced it the way other people did, upon release day, through vinyl, or what have you. I have a 192 kb/s cd rip and that's the basis of my judgement of the album.

A clever album cover always fills me with a certain amount of elation when I select it on my playlist. In terms of production, I did not always want it--that is the only area in which it lacks compared to its predecessor, Moving Pictures. However, Signals is full of a certain emotion, compassion and playfulness, more so than their other albums. It sounds so young and yet so mature, starting with Subdivisions, Analog Kid (you move me, you move me), motherflipping Chemistry, which has an intro that gives me goosebumps every damn time and lyrics that, while goofy, are just heart-melting in a very positive way. Digital Man, which is great. The Weapon, which is stunning. New World Man, which gets a bad rap, but it quintessentially a Rush song, one I believe is misunderstood by many. Losing It, which is Rush gone introspective and melancholy; perhaps not the most uplifting lyrics, but it is bittersweet and surprisingly gentle. And then Countdown, which is an accumulation of all of the traits and emotions combined in a very honestly elated song.

Signals is Rush's nerdiest album, made nerdier by the fact that it is situated firmly in the present. There's talk of chemical reactions as a metaphor for love and friendship, and you get to hear them gush over the launch of a space shuttle. All of it, the synths, the subject matter, feels very new, and I think influenced their worldview quite a bit. I think the three guys were just trying to share some cool new things they discovered and thought about with their listeners, fully aware they'd reached a wide audience in 1982 and this was long-awaited, which is why it also feels quite personal.

I dunno. I think it's cool.

• Like 7

It should come as no surprise to anyone how much I love Signals, so I'll try not to go overboard. Shill for Signals is basically my catchphrase.

Signals is perfection. It holds a very special place in my heart, even though I never personally experienced it the way other people did, upon release day, through vinyl, or what have you. I have a 192 kb/s cd rip and that's the basis of my judgement of the album.

A clever album cover always fills me with a certain amount of elation when I select it on my playlist. In terms of production, I did not always want it--that is the only area in which it lacks compared to its predecessor, Moving Pictures. However, Signals is full of a certain emotion, compassion and playfulness, more so than their other albums. It sounds so young and yet so mature, starting with Subdivisions, Analog Kid (you move me, you move me), motherflipping Chemistry, which has an intro that gives me goosebumps every damn time and lyrics that, while goofy, are just heart-melting in a very positive way. Digital Man, which is great. The Weapon, which is stunning. New World Man, which gets a bad rap, but it quintessentially a Rush song, one I believe is misunderstood by many. Losing It, which is Rush gone introspective and melancholy; perhaps not the most uplifting lyrics, but it is bittersweet and surprisingly gentle. And then Countdown, which is an accumulation of all of the traits and emotions combined in a very honestly elated song.

Signals is Rush's nerdiest album, made nerdier by the fact that it is situated firmly in the present. There's talk of chemical reactions as a metaphor for love and friendship, and you get to hear them gush over the launch of a space shuttle. All of it, the synths, the subject matter, feels very new, and I think influenced their worldview quite a bit. I think the three guys were just trying to share some cool new things they discovered and thought about with their listeners, fully aware they'd reached a wide audience in 1982 and this was long-awaited, which is why it also feels quite personal.

:goodone: :goodone:

I love the lyrical content of Signals. In particular, I do find myself belting out Chemistry lyrics when it's on. And The Weapon is a trance.

As Geddy said, they weren't interested in "Moving Pictures, pt. 2". It was an interesting and cool direction they took, like many others. As a guitarist I think I regularly play a larger percentage of Signals than any other Rush album. Easy to simultaneously sing to (except Losing It), which is a bonus.

Shill for Signals :LOL:

• Like 4

"I'll try not to go overboard"

proceeds to write massive wall of text

Oh well. :LOL:

TOG, I haven't sung to many Signals songs, surprisingly. Other than Chemistry, because yelling "electricity! biology! seems to me it's CHEMISTRY" is addictive, regardless of how false my pitch is.

• Like 4

TOG, I haven't sung to many Signals songs, surprisingly. Other than Chemistry, because yelling "electricity! biology! seems to me it's CHEMISTRY" is addictive, regardless of how false my pitch is.

Those are the best lines! I must look like a tool to other drivers on the road :LOL:

Other honorable mentions include: every other lyric in the song. Addictive.

Song I actually rarely listen to and never sing: Subdivisions

• Like 2

:goodone: :goodone:

I love the lyrical content of Signals. In particular, I do find myself belting out Chemistry lyrics when it's on. And The Weapon is a trance.

As Geddy said, they weren't interested in "Moving Pictures, pt. 2". It was an interesting and cool direction they took, like many others. As a guitarist I think I regularly play a larger percentage of Signals than any other Rush album. Easy to simultaneously sing to (except Losing It), which is a bonus.

Shill for Signals :LOL:

Signals is brilliant! An amazing masterpiece and very significant as a Rush phase.

I love it too! :notworthy:

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 2

I don't think Rush has ever recorded a bad album. They've recorded bad songs but never a full album. Even on the albums that are not as strong, like Roll The Bones, there's still a handful of really good songs worth listening to. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I don't think Rush has ever recorded a bad album. They've recorded bad songs but never a full album. Even on the albums that are not as strong, like Roll The Bones, there's still a handful of really good songs worth listening to.

Agreed, although to me Snakes is close. I like about 5 songs on that album, which is still almost half. Same with RtB.

But we are here to gush so... How about that awesome 2X4 over a chair-playing Neil does on "YYZ"? Always struck me as a cool feature of the track. Sounds almost like a crack from a bullwhip.

• Like 1