The Gush Over Rush Thread

Lorraine

I bought the album the next day, and even though it's fallen a few places on my favourites list since then, it will always have a special place in my heart.

That's why I still love Tom Sawyer so much. If it wasn't for that song, I would never have bought Moving Pictures back then and would never have come to love Rush.

Tom Sawyer was my gateway drug to Rush. That is why I will always list it as my favorite Rush song, even if that sounds dumb. But without Tom Sawyer I wouldn't know Rush.

• Like 1

This thread wouldn't be complete without me gushing over The Weapon :madra: from the Grace Under Pressure tour dvd. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: Neil was at his most handsome. Come to think of it, they all were, but that's only in my eyes. :) ;)

Was hoping The Weapon would make a return to live shows at some point, but alas it wasn't to be. I love that track!

• Like 2

I bought the album the next day, and even though it's fallen a few places on my favourites list since then, it will always have a special place in my heart.

That's why I still love Tom Sawyer so much. If it wasn't for that song, I would never have bought Moving Pictures back then and would never have come to love Rush.

Tom Sawyer was my gateway drug to Rush. That is why I will always list it as my favorite Rush song, even if that sounds dumb. But without Tom Sawyer I wouldn't know Rush.

Why would that sound dumb? It's a great song.

• Like 4

It is, as the whole album where it is!

Gotta listen! :guitar:

• Like 2

Maybe I'll revisit Test For Echo. I've always thought of it as one of their boring albums, but the other day, a song from it came onto my shuffle, and it sounded surprisingly good. It wouldn't be the first time I dismissed a Rush album only to discover it properly at a later time.

I love when that happens - album or song.

I did that with Snakes & Arrows. Listened to it once and hated it. But someone here shamed me into listening to it again, and I'm glad he did.

Snakes and Arrows is an amazing album! :D

Snakes And Arrows is enormously significant to me because it was the album they were playing when I first saw them in 2007. I wasn't a fan then, I liked a few Rush songs but went to the show mostly just for a night out, and to tell a friend of mine who is a Rush lifer that I'd seen them. Part of what made me fall for Rush so quickly and so hard was that I'd gone expecting a bit of a nostalgia act, and what I got instead was a vital, creative band that was totally fired up to be playing the exciting new music they'd just made. I bought the album the next day, and even though it's fallen a few places on my favourites list since then, it will always have a special place in my heart.

I remember these times in 2007! They always will be in my memory!

There was a different atmosphere during the S & A release and tour.

People were really in harmony and around the lyrics and sound, it provoked lovely feelings.

Everyone was united for The Rush Cause. :musicnote: :notworthy: :musicnote:

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

This thread wouldn't be complete without me gushing over The Weapon :madra: from the Grace Under Pressure tour dvd. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: Neil was at his most handsome. Come to think of it, they all were, but that's only in my eyes. :) ;)

The Weapon can land me in a trance ♫♫♫♫

Big fan!

• Like 3

Because everyone around here seems burned out on TS. But I still revere it even if I don't listen to it as much as I once did.

• Like 1

I just love them. There's those times where I'm listening to a certain song, and I hear just a solitary thing from Alex, Ged, or Neil, like a little lick, and it just makes me smile, I can't even help it.
  • Like 6

At this very moment, I'm gushing over Rush pictures.

Gushing at Snakes and Arrows Live DVD. It's a special gift for me.

:rush: The most incredible band of the world who does the most spetacular wonderful concert on Earth!! :rush:

• Like 3

I just love them. There's those times where I'm listening to a certain song, and I hear just a solitary thing from Alex, Ged, or Neil, like a little lick, and it just makes me smile, I can't even help it.

I do that, too. There are so many small moments in Rush songs that just bring the joy.

• Like 1

I have a question.

Why isn't there an official tour video release between A Show of Hands and Rio?

There is. Different Stages.

Oh boy, I have so much to gush about! Rush is my favorite band, in case you didn't know.

Let's see...

In his prime, Geddy Lee was easily my second favorite vocalist, only behind the untouchable Freddie Mercury. And even now, he still sounds great.

Alex Lifeson is an incredible guitarist. His playing never devolved into mindless shredding, always enhancing the song, and he wrote great riff after great riff.

Neil Peart is a stellar drummer. Yes, some of his lyrics get really stupid, and I hate his endless drum solos, but his drumming is almost always great.

The first 3 minutes of Xanadu are some of the most incredible music i've ever heard, as are the last 2 minutes of 2112. 2112 is one of my top 3 favorite songs of all time, right up there with Shine On You Crazy Diamond (By Pink Floyd) and the Show Must Go On (By Queen)

I don't know much other bands who could do so many styles so well. From Prog rock to Zeppelin-esque blues rock to synth-pop to grunge to heavy metal, they could do them all so well. Only Queen could beat them.

They were one of the best live bands. Unlike other bands like Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple, they didn't extend their songs into long, mindless jamming, instead preserving the essence while playing them with more power and intensity.

Unlike many bands, like Jethro Tull, which were just the frontman and the rest, everyone contributed to Rush.

They went out on a great high note with Clockwork Angels and the R40 tour, unlike other bands, which just keep playing their greatest hits ad infinitum.

• Like 2

Here's a huge gush over a much maligned album which I happen to think is great - Test For Echo

What do you like about it?

I don't know. The songs just resonate somehow with me. I love the title song and more songs on the rest of the album than any other Rush album since Signals and none after Test For Echo.

The title track and Time and Motion are amongst the best stuff they have done.

• Like 1

I love Rush so much. Here is a great memory for me:

http://youtu.be/vwk512QgUPA

How It Is was one of my most-hoped-for songs to hear live. The setlist rotation seemed to indicate that it wouldn't be played at my last show of the tour in Newark, and I couldn't afford to go to MSG. But Newark turned out to be the special set, and when Geddy intro'd the song, it felt almost like a personal gift!

Now, although I was probably the only person on this forum who actually didn't want to hear Losing It, the special set also meant I got to see one last live performance of a song that I never liked before I saw it live, but which is one of my all-time favourite songs now, not just by Rush, but by anyone:

http://youtu.be/OuknDf3Xcgs

As for Losing It, well, I can't say that the live treatment worked any magic on it for me, but I did appreciate getting the rare coveted experience of seeing it that so many missed out on, and it was fun to see how into it Geddy was jamming with the violin player. Here it is:

http://youtu.be/QhMdQqJ6Jag

Shoutout with eternal gratitude to squintyt4e, who filmed in full two of my most treasured gig experiences, this one, and Saratoga Springs, 2013!

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 6

This is my favourite thread in forever! It came along in coincidence with a recent stress-relieving Rush fest, perfect timing, thank you, Lorraine :cheers:

Here's another thing that I found out about at my first Rush gig that endeared them to me -- their self-mocking sense of humour! I was reminded of it when enjoying R40 this afternoon.

http://youtu.be/FrejJHPnVfk

• Like 2

This is my favourite thread in forever! It came along in coincidence with a recent stress-relieving Rush fest, perfect timing, thank you, Lorraine :cheers:

Here's another thing that I found out about at my first Rush gig that endeared them to me -- their self-mocking sense of humour! I was reminded of it when enjoying R40 this afternoon.

http://youtu.be/FrejJHPnVfk

:LOL:

Because everyone around here seems burned out on TS. But I still revere it even if I don't listen to it as much as I once did.

What would be "dumb" would be buying into the TrueRushFans' delusion that only obscure songs by a band can be great. The reason everyone is allegedly "burned out on" Tom Sawyer (I'm not) is because it's the song by them that everyone knows. And everyone knows it because it's fantastic.

• Like 2

Can we post anything about Rush here?

As long as it's gushy

There's endless negative Rush (or just Neil) threads elsewhere for such other occasions!

:rush:

• Like 1

I love Rush so much. Here is a great memory for me:

http://youtu.be/vwk512QgUPA

How It Is was one of my most-hoped-for songs to hear live. The setlist rotation seemed to indicate that it wouldn't be played at my last show of the tour in Newark, and I couldn't afford to go to MSG. But Newark turned out to be the special set, and when Geddy intro'd the song, it felt almost like a personal gift!

Now, although I was probably the only person on this forum who actually didn't want to hear Losing It, the special set also meant I got to see one last live performance of a song that I never liked before I saw it live, but which is one of my all-time favourite songs now, not just by Rush, but by anyone:

http://youtu.be/OuknDf3Xcgs

As for Losing It, well, I can't say that the live treatment worked any magic on it for me, but I did appreciate getting the rare coveted experience of seeing it that so many missed out on, and it was fun to see how into it Geddy was jamming with the violin player. Here it is:

http://youtu.be/QhMdQqJ6Jag

Shoutout with eternal gratitude to squintyt4e, who filmed in full two of my most treasured gig experiences, this one, and Saratoga Springs, 2013!

Losing It "grew" live!

I'm speechless about these memories. Such beautiful music on stage. :o

Gush over Rush. :LOL:

If I had to gush then I'd start by saying that every song on Grace Under Pressure is beautiful. There's a certain mood to the whole album... very adult in a way that their previous albums weren't, particularly. It doesn't make a lot of sense to other people when I try explaining it, but it's a romantic album. I love everything Alex does on Red Sector A. I love Geddy's voice from Signals to Presto, but especially the way he sounds on GUP. Such a pretty vibrato!

Which songs in particular regarding his vibrato? I agree he was a real triller back then.

I'm a Lush In Love With Rush!

Emotion Detector

Middletown Dreams