BU2B2

winter17

It's a Rush (song?), it's supposed to be "odd". I think it fits the thread bare sketchy outlined story of CA well. I read somewhere Neil insisted on the piece as a transition point on the album. :huh: Edited by A rocket that ignites itself
  • Like 1

It's such an odd song, why even include it on the album?

:o

It's the best song on it.

You may be talking about BU2B.

I'm referring to BU2B2

It's a Rush (song?), it's supposed to be "odd". I think it fits the thread bare sketchy outlined story of CA well. I read somewhere Neil insisted on the piece as a transition point on the album. :huh:

Fair enough, Rush songs are pretty odd I guess. I just can't seem to figure out the purpose of it. It doesn't reveal too much about the story that isn't revealed in other songs, and there's hardly any musicianship to it.

:o

It's the best song on it.

You may be talking about BU2B.

I'm referring to BU2B2

No may be about it. I'm not. :) I happen to be familiar with the album you know. ;)

BU2B2 is the best song on the album. Yes, yes, yes. I know. It's not really a song per se. I still think it is the best on the album. :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

BU2B2: Lyrics

THOSE FATEFUL WORDS. “What do you lack?” spark an inner monologue about all that I have lost. No more bound1ess optimism, no more faith in greater powers, too much pain, too much grief, and too much disillusion. Despite all that, I realize the great irony that although I now believe only in the exchange of love, even that little faith follows the childhood reflex that “I was brought up to believe.”

I was brought up to believe

Belief has failed me now

The bright glow of optimism

Abandoned me somehow

Belief has failed me now

Life goes from bad to worse

No philosophy consoles me

In a clockwork universe

Life goes from bad to worse

I still choose to live

Find a measure of love and laughter

And another measure to give

I still choose to live

And give, even while I grieve

Though the balance tilts against me

I was brought up to believe

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself

I love the lyrics. I find it hard to believe that Neil can write them detached from himself. I know he once said in an interview (I think it was in the early to mid-eighties) that his lyrics weren't autobiographical but I don't know how a person can consistently write lyrics without them being so at some point.
  • Like 1

There are 12 numbers on a clock and they only had 11 tracks so they added BU2B2. Then they realized it made a nice bookend with BU2B and went back to that song and added the little quiet interlude at the beginning of the song that wasn't on the single version. It was all very Zen.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

I've just never understood it's position on the album, coming in after "Headlong Flight".

"Headlong" is such an incredibly powerful, wonderfully uplifting song that just outright rocks. For me, it's one of my Top 10 Rush songs of all.

Then they go and follow it with this slow, dread-inducing, black cloud of doom that (in my op) drags the album straight down to a dead stop. Right now, I don't know where a better spot on the album would be for it. Anywhere. Anywhere but here. This is my second least favorite Rush song, just above "Tai Shan".

There are 12 numbers on a clock and they only had 11 tracks so they added BU2B2. Then they realized it made a nice bookend with BU2B and went back to that song and added the little quiet interlude at the beginning of the song that wasn't on the single version. It was all very Zen.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks

• Like 1

This must be Rushgoober's new profile

Hehe.

Sig isn't bombastic enough.

Younger clone perhaps.

Who is Rushgoober?

Of course I have no idea if that is all true. :cool: But it was my thought back when the album came out. Makes sense to me too! :D

Of course I have no idea if that is all true. :cool: But it was my thought back when the album came out. Makes sense to me too! :D

With the clock numbers each having a symbol, definitely can see the connection.

It would have been much better if it had been a kickass instrumental. Ged's voice is not at it's best, the recording is strangely mixed and it really kinda doesn't fit very well. I also believe the original Bu2B was superior to the rereleased version. The original sans acoustic intro kicked way more ass.
  • Like 1

It would have been much better if it had been a kickass instrumental. Ged's voice is not at it's best, the recording is strangely mixed and it really kinda doesn't fit very well. I also believe the original Bu2B was superior to the rereleased version. The original sans acoustic intro kicked way more ass.

I agree and it's the version I listen to most often when hitting shuffle on my Rush playlist. If I'm in a CA mood then of course the album version gets played.

haphazard and clunky attempt to unify the album storyline in my view. the flow of 2112 was beautifully and seamlessly pieced together but CA's a mainly disjointed collection of tracks, some great and some substandard, but the glue's missing. BU2B2 was probably thrown in as an attempt to correct this but fails miserably. as a track in itself it isn't too bad, just kinda pointless to me, doesnt do enough.

i removed a few tracks from my album leaving Side 1: Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels, Side 2: The Anarchist, Headlong Flight and The Garden... making it more a true Rush album for me, quite similar in structure to Permanent Waves actually. a lot of the other stuff was unnecessary and just below par.

Edited by lifeson90