Similarities b/w Toms Sawyer and I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)?

This is interesting to me. I'm currently listening to the live version of IKWIL by Genesis from Seconds Out... And from the synth bass noise at the start to the metronomic beat to the word-beat nearly rapped first couple verses it just reminded me very much of Tom Sawyer. I always thought when I heard TS that nothing else really sounded remotely like it, but now I wouldn't be surprised if the band might have subconsciously been channeling some classic Gabriel era Genesis in a few of the ideas they put in the song. What do you all think? Do you hear similarities at all, or am I just crazy?

Listen to Journey's "Nickel & Dime".

XANADU!! Both from 77, which one came first?

Also that was about the most awesome thing I've ever heard out of Journey, show's how much I've dug into their back catalogue.

So am I just crazy then? I was hoping this would draw a little bit more attention...

So am I just crazy then? I was hoping this would draw a little bit more attention...

This topic has been discussed numerous times on this forum. I sure people are burnt out.

Thousands upon thousands of songs are released year after year. There's bound to be similarities, coincidences and outright theft from time to time. Overall, I don't think it's an issue unless outright theft is apparent.

Good ear, though. I've heard both songs loads of times and never noticed the similarity. Totally different vibe or groove or whatever, I guess.
  • Like 1

Also that was about the most awesome thing I've ever heard out of Journey, show's how much I've dug into their back catalogue.

Oh to have never lived through the "Alex is a thief" wars of TRF.

• Like 1

Oh to have never lived through the "Alex is a thief" wars of TRF.

What is his name? Geminirising79? His heart was broken.

• Like 3

This topic has been discussed numerous times on this forum. I sure people are burnt out.

Thousands upon thousands of songs are released year after year. There's bound to be similarities, coincidences and outright theft from time to time. Overall, I don't think it's an issue unless outright theft is apparent.

Lol, not trying to accuse anyone of stealing. The songs themselves are way too different for anything like that. I just thought there was a neat similarity to be noticed linking the two.

• Like 1