New RHCP music

jamie

Has anyone listened to the Red Hot Chili Peppers new single Dark Necessities? I'm listening to it now and I'm not sure what to think. It has that classic funky bass line but it also sounds kinda indie which I'm not too big on personally. They released some singles in 2012 and 2013 (which are pretty good!) that I didn't know about until now and I'm not sure what the time gap was all about, and I don't think they're part of The Getaway. I'll definitely listen to it when it comes out (June 17th) and I hope they're not turning to more indie-sounding material.
  • Like 3

I haven't heard it yet, but they changed producers after being with Rick Ruban for decades. So I'm prepared for a different direction...and likely much complaining.

As much as I hate when people whine about guys getting replaced, I have to say they took a step backwords when John left. Josh is a solid guitarist, but just doesn't have the creativity that John has.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

It is a Red Hot Chili Peppers' song. It is good, but if you don't like the Red Hot Chili Peppers it is not going to change your mind. Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

I like RHCP.

They are a safe bet. I never really get excited by a new album, but I also always quietly enjoy them.

I was about 15 when Stadium Arcadium came out and it was MASSIVE!

• Like 1

RHCP just aren't the same for me without John. I was reading a bio of Anthony Kiedis. The guy is actually very smart. He got straight A's in high school even though he was experimenting with a lot of drugs. He attended UCLA but dropped out in his 2nd year. Dude could've been a doctor or something if he hadn't been so messed up... and joined a band. :)
  • Like 1

John attended a RHCP concert when he was 15 and became a fan. He taught himself almost all the guitar and bass parts for the first 3 Chili Peppers albums before they hired him. He joined the group 5 years after they formed following the death of their first guitarist, Hillel Slovak.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu173/ladyofthevalley/JF.jpg

• Like 2

John Frusciante was in a supergroup called Kimono Kult. I think they broke up. Why would someone quit a successful band just to form another? smh

I like it. The Getaway is an improvement on its dull predecessor I'm In You.

The funky basslines are back. Producer Nigel Godrich has brought some nice little soundscapey effects to proceedings. Anthony Kiedis is on good form throughout.

John Frusciante is still sorely missed. The only thing here approaching John-era awesomeness is the final track. Dreams Of A Samurai is an absolute corker.

• Like 1

I like it. The Getaway is an improvement on its dull predecessor I'm In You.

The funky basslines are back. Producer Nigel Godrich has brought some nice little soundscapey effects to proceedings. Anthony Kiedis is on good form throughout.

John Frusciante is still sorely missed. The only thing here approaching John-era awesomeness is the final track. Dreams Of A Samurai is an absolute corker.

I agree.