The Official Progressive Rock Discussion Thread

There are alot of albums on the top 250 thread ive never heard before . Will try and post as i get to them

Someone posted nektar thread and i have been promisng myself to get to them. I gave them a few spins. A tab of oceans i really enjoyed

• Like 2

i might have found the best keyboard solo of all time

Now this I'll challenge you on big time... I know of many keyboard solos, and some of my faves come from bands that aren't prog, per se.

• Like 1

There are alot of albums on the top 250 thread ive never heard before . Will try and post as i get to them

Someone posted nektar thread and i have been promisng myself to get to them. I gave them a few spins. A tab of oceans i really enjoyed

i posted nektar on the 250 albums, i believe remember the future, their first 3 albums (Journey to the Centre of the Eye, A Tab of Oceans and Remember the Future) are my favorites

• Like 1

I'll toss in a great song ( great band ) that is rarely mentioned ( other than Toymaker )

Canadian band Prism with "See Forever Eyes"

The best radio-friendly prog ever

• Like 1

Now this I'll challenge you on big time... I know of many keyboard solos, and some of my faves come from bands that aren't prog, per se.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx7NuLQsNHc

go to 3:20 and listen on, maybe it is, maybe not, we shall see

I'm not a fan of the Flute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx7NuLQsNHc

go to 3:20 and listen on, maybe it is, maybe not, we shall see

I'm not a fan of the Flute.

the flute is hard to get a liking to, but the keyboard solo makes up for it

I got a box set years back called "Supernatural Fairy Tales -- The Progressive Rock Era" thinking that it would really open me up to some new acts...and looking at the list of songs all these years later, I don't think I got into anyone new from it (well new to me, they were all older acts) And I was pretty much glad I got it at a used CD store because if I would have paid full price, I probably would have been mad.... but it almost seemed like a set geared towards bands that they didn't know what to do with, so they classified them as "progressive" and were done with it. Hell, they even had a Zappa song on it (besides the Yes, ELP, Nice, Genesis, etc.) I think I give it an occasional listen when I don't know what else to dig into..and I also think the last time was several years back...not a bad total package, but not something that made me rush out and buy anything new.

I actually think I found newer more exciting stuff from the "Tales from Yesterday" release with the Yes tribute stuff on it... Some pretty interesting stuff that Magna Carta was promoting when their label was sort of new. (I think they did a Floyd, and a Genesis tribute album also) Then once Portnoy started futzing with Transatlantic, I really found some cool new stuff, (although I DID know about Marillion) But I got into Spock's Beard, and a little Flower Kings because of it, and I turned into a Spock's Beard/Neal Morse freak!

But what's interesting, is on some other pages that I've frequented over the years, and some other groups, people really got turned off to Neal once he went whole hog religious...Ok, so he sings about God and Jesus, now...whatever...bands have been slipping that sort of stuff in for years!?!?! What can ya do...

• Like 3

Ironically...after posting in this thread, I got an email from "The Artist Shop" which is a (mostly) Prog online music store that I've used to purchase a LOT of obscure things...The guy that runs it (Gary) was someone that used to frequent the old AOL band forums way way back, and used to get us the obscure stuff we were all looking for, I suggest tooling around Gary's site!

http://www.artist-shop.com/

• Like 1

Are some (many) jam bands considered prog?

They often have jazz roots, incredible technical abilities, and complicated arrangements.

Are some (many) jam bands considered prog?

They often have jazz roots, incredible technical abilities, and complicated arrangements.

What I found interesting once, was Umphrey's McGee (247) had a listing in the top 297 prog albums in the book "Mountains Come out of the Sky" (The history of Prog) (which I recommend readin!)...

I never even considered them "prog" but after listening to that album (Mantis) with a "prog head" I can sort of see how they could be classified, and when I have any of their stuff in, it gives me a new appreciation thinking that this is a "hybrid" between my "jam" and "prog" mind!

But I tend to agree that most are leaning towards Jazz because of the improv parts of the tunes, and a lot of the bands have different instrumentation other than guitar, bass, drums, and keyboards...a lot of banjo's, violins, wind instruments, etc. which IS cool! (Dave Matthews older stuff was great for that!)

Edited by Jaminbenb

I hope Flying Colors put out another album. Second Nature is stellar music. The live DVD is also great stuff. Not a fan of Mike P playing but he fits well I this setting. Band is top notch! More please
  • Like 3

I hope Flying Colors put out another album. Second Nature is stellar music. The live DVD is also great stuff. Not a fan of Mike P playing but he fits well I this setting. Band is top notch! More please

Flying colors is a great group...........i love them.

as long as portnoy stays in check. lol

Mick

• Like 1

Agreed. I am very impressed with them so far and hope they continue.

I like prog just a little bit loose and organic, without a too-precise and mechanical sound. And a little bit of pastoral is fine, but too much kills it for me.
  • Like 2