Favorite guitar solos of the 21st century

Inspired by the lead vs. rhythm guitar thread and listening to one of my fav modern guitar solos, let's discuss our favorite guitar solos released on or after January 1, 2000. Not a huge category, I know, but a nice opportunity to sh®ed some light on some oft forgotten modern masterpieces.

Anyway, my absolute favorite modern guitar solo? The gianormous solo break in Muse's "Reapers." Classic, modern, epic, all the right things.

Refer to Coheed and Cambria & anything Ty Tabor... There's plenty of great guitar solos there. So much so that I'd either fill this thread up with them, or do injustices to many solos of theirs by only listing but few.

Dream Theater - The Count Of Tuscany

Lots of beautiful guitar work in here. Lovely solo from Petrucci in the beginning, and towards the end there's another one following the same motif but an octave higher. Simply awesome.

• Like 4

Been listening to The Black Crowes Before the Frost...Until the Freeze a lot of late, and I just can't get enough of this guitar solo from Luther Dickinson, at around the 6:20 mark

• Like 4

I could post several White Stripes' songs, but Jack White doesn't get much love on this forum...

Go for it. The only reason I can think of to disrespect him is the fact that he doesn't utilize a bassist in The White Stripes. A bold move, too bold for me :LOL:

But still, go for it.

Been listening to The Black Crowes Before the Frost...Until the Freeze a lot of late, and I just can't get enough of this guitar solo from Luther Dickinson, at around the 6:20 mark

I knew which solo you meant, without even listening to it. ;)

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ooCI3yXhU

Listened to the entire song, it was great. Proof that rock isn't dead, it's arguably more alive than ever - all you have to do is know where to look :D

• Like 1

I love Jack White's solos and leads. Not underrated I don't think, but maybe under-recognized, as in like not enough people know about him. One of my favs of his is in "High Ball Stepper," which I think shows up right after a big break in the song. Great soloist.

A few years back, there was a craze on youtube with metal guitarists playing Pachelbel's "Canon In D" - it was called "Canon Rock" and a million guitarists over the years tried it ..

As a guitar player who lived thru the 80s, and then saw the guitar hero killed by the backlash of the 90s and beyond, I loved this ... musical masturbation ? -- sure -- but I'm still putting my own version together - hopefully I'll get it on soon enough :)

Here's a memorable one - don't let the nose fool you, this guy rips ... and there are dozens and dozens similar

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

musical masturbation ?

Dumbest phrase critiquing music there is... And for it (along with "wankery") to be so prevalent on a rush forum of all places... I don't get it.

I know, it is a ridiculous phrase

Isn't every form of art just that ??

• Like 1

musical masturbation ?

Dumbest phrase critiquing music there is... And for it (along with "wankery") to be so prevalent on a rush forum of all places... I don't get it.

I know, it is a ridiculous phrase

Isn't every form of art just that ??

More or less, yes. Yes it is.

"Guitar Solo"

yep

:LOL:

• Like 1