The Jungle Book

Principled Man

http://www.moovielive.com/MoviePhoto/coverart/en_us/2015/2015-08-14/632217/big_en_us632217.jpg

OUTSTANDING film!! Wonderful animation, thrills, chills, laughs and a very impressive cast giving their voices to the jungle.

Bill Murray as Baloo the Bear

Ben Kingsley as Bagheera the Panther

Idris Elba as Shere Khan the Tiger

Giancarlo Esposito as Akela the Wolf

Lupita Nyong'o as Raksha the Wolf

Scarlett Johansson as Kaa the Serpent

Christopher Walken as King Louie the Orangutan

Garry Shandling as Ikki the Porcupine

My favorite scene by far was Scarlett Johansson as Kaa, mesmerizing Mowgli. King Louie, the mafioso orangutan, trying to take over the jungle, was an absolute hoot! Idris Elba was stellar as the ultimate in evil, Shere Khan. Last but not least, Neel Sethi was excellent as Mowgli, the brave and loyal man-cub, who risked everything to save his jungle family.

Definitely Blu-ray worthy! GO SEE IT!!

:haz: :haz: :haz:

•  

• Like 1

I personally have loved nearly all of Disney's retakes in their classic movies.

It's been a real joy seeing Disney boom in film quality as well.

Will definitely see this. That cast plus Favreau directing make it a pretty safe bet.

Apparently, there will be a sequel and possibly released in the next 2-3 years (Favreau will direct again). I wonder how it'll affect this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Book_(2018_film)

Well, by 2018 this Disney film will probably seem like old news. And Jungle Book is a classic enough tale to be able to stand a few more adaptations (much can be done with it, as no two film adaptations have been alike to this point).

Plus, the 2018 one has an incredible cast.

Will definitely see this. That cast plus Favreau directing make it a pretty safe bet.

Apparently, there will be a sequel and possibly released in the next 2-3 years (Favreau will direct again). I wonder how it'll affect this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Book_(2018_film)

Well, by 2018 this Disney film will probably seem like old news. And Jungle Book is a classic enough tale to be able to stand a few more adaptations (much can be done with it, as no two film adaptations have been alike to this point).

Plus, the 2018 one has an incredible cast.

All true.

But what if the 2018 film is showing at the same time as the Favreau Jungle Book sequel? I wonder what'll happen.

• Like 1

I love the original animated Jungle Book. I have a hard time imagining this new version could be as good.

Don't compare. Remember that the source material, the novel, was not well adapted at all in the first place, so Disney left plenty of room for an eventual new release that takes the story in another direction completely.

Disney rarely invent stories. They adapt them. It could be argued that they could do revisions every ten years and never truly find themselves without an audience, because so much can be done with them.

This Jungle Book promises to be very different to the novel (which is a masterful, but bleak, reading experience), and the original animation. Not to mention the few other Hollywood adaptations that date back to long before the classic cartoons release.

Disney also did a really good job in Cinderella (not flawless, but charming). Maleficent was a bold retelling of another classic tale, and I still have very high hopes for the upcoming live action musical Beauty And The Beast, from director Bill Condon.

These live action films are not intended to replace the beloved originals, they are merely new versions of classic stories, retold with fresh blood in a new era, with nods to past glories.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

It was great, but I do miss the birds that was in the original one....those are my favorites!

Good job we still have the original then!

It was great, but I do miss the birds that was in the original one....those are my favorites!

Good job we still have the original then!

Ok....?

I love the original animated Jungle Book. I have a hard time imagining this new version could be as good.

It exceeds it...by far. Was skeptical upon entering the theater, but blown away while watching. My boys prefer it as well.

• Like 1

It exceeds it...by far. Was skeptical upon entering the theater, but blown away while watching. My boys prefer it as well.

Hmmm! Maybe I should go check it out, then.

Growing up a had a stuffed red snake (about 4+ feet long) that I named Kaa, of course :)

• Like 1

Just came back from seeing it.

It doesn't touch the original, because it doesn't have too.

It stands very tall all by itself, and was by far the most beautiful looking film I have seen in a very long time.

The story was absolutely brilliant. Fleshed out the narrative from the animation and made it a whole new experience.

We now have TWO Disney classics based on the same story.

I would rate them both the same score, for very different reasons.

And that score is 9/10

Edited by Segue Myles

I agree. A totally different experience and a surprisingly deep one at that!

I agree. A totally different experience and a surprisingly deep one at that!

wondering where they found baby mowgli. The child's expressions were moving.
  • Like 1

Don't compare. Remember that the source material, the novel, was not well adapted at all in the first place, so Disney left plenty of room for an eventual new release that takes the story in another direction completely.

Disney rarely invent stories. They adapt them. It could be argued that they could do revisions every ten years and never truly find themselves without an audience, because so much can be done with them.

This Jungle Book promises to be very different to the novel (which is a masterful, but bleak, reading experience), and the original animation. Not to mention the few other Hollywood adaptations that date back to long before the classic cartoons release.

Disney also did a really good job in Cinderella (not flawless, but charming). Maleficent was a bold retelling of another classic tale, and I still have very high hopes for the upcoming live action musical Beauty And The Beast, from director Bill Condon.

These live action films are not intended to replace the beloved originals, they are merely new versions of classic stories, retold with fresh blood in a new era, with nods to past glories.

I loved the stories as a kid and always wished they would make a movie more like the actual book.

• Like 1

I loved the stories as a kid and always wished they would make a movie more like the actual book.

Oh my goodness believe me same.

This wasn't that, unfortunately. But what it was was absolutely great!

But yeah...I still long for a version of The War Of The World's where we see Victorian England obliterated but nope...we have to make do with always less enticing modern day adaptations.

So I get you.

But this was great.

And closer to the feel of the book. The violence was sharp and real, and the intensity of the character of Shia Khan was honestly a sight to behold.

• Like 1